Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I had two passengers. One lady I picked up, I was taking to the ER, and during the trip while she was venting, she notedthat she was the daughter of the idividual who placed the request for the trip. I really didn't care/mind, especially given the circumstance, so I didn't follow up with Uber.
The next PAX was a gentleman who I was pretty confident did not place the request or own the account.

Does anyone have suggestions when approaching identification?

Oh, and I've taken trips for Business accounts like dealerships, so I kinda know what I'm looking at there and not to worry.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
You should always ask "what's your name please?" Before starting the trip. If they give a wrong answer, you can follow up with additional questions, but might want to just tell them, "that's not who i am here for".

People will often try to snag a ride instead of waiting for their car, or if they are just scamming a freebie.

I have had many instances where drunk guys have tried to persuade me to ditch my customer and take them instead.

·
Super Moderator
8,649 Posts
The other night I had two passengers. One lady I picked up, I was taking to the ER, and during the trip while she was venting, she notedthat she was the daughter of the idividual who placed the request for the trip. I really didn't care/mind, especially given the circumstance, so I didn't follow up with Uber.
The next PAX was a gentleman who I was pretty confident did not place the request or own the account.

Oh, and I've taken trips for Business accounts like dealerships, so I kinda know what I'm looking at there and not to worry.
My suggestion is not to care. They know the account holders name, their destination matches let's go! Many people commonly order rides for people and it's ok with Uber.

Best third party ride I ever had... get a ping to pick up "Patrick", young lady gets in the car, she is Patrick's girlfriend. She is crying and telling me how terrible her boyfriend is, they had a fight. I said to her "well at least he is paying for your ride home". She says he doesn't know that yet and she is holding his phone in her hand! She tells me he is so cheap he will be pissed he had to pay for her 15 mile ride home! I was half kidding and said "well then it would really piss him off if you gave me a $20 tip in the app". She laughed and said yeah that'll work. $20 tip in the app, thanks "Patrick"!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Ironically I was picking my wife up at work one day and while I was waiting for her, a woman just got in my car, buckled her seatbelt, and started looking more puzzled that the vehicle wasnt moving while she continued talking on her phone. I gave it a few seconds. "Catching an uber?" I asked. "Ya . . . but it's not you huh?" she replied. We both laughed.
Anyway. I definitely think I'll be following all of your advice. I'll confrimthe name, and as long as they confirm a name, I'll leave it at that.
Thanks all!!

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
So I get this email just recently because I also take Uber as a passenger sometimes. :smiles: Next time a passenger complains about being asked for their ID just know Uber sent them an email asking them to check and make sure the car you are driving is the one in the description. To check your license plate number, and they can ask to see your photo ID. So don't let passengers say you can't check their ID.
Hood Light Product Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
We can check their ids. But that's only necessary if you think you may have an unaccompanied minor - you all for id if you want proof that they are over 18.

It is ok (and common) for someone to order a ride for others. It is also ok for pax to use an alias when setting up their pax account - so showing id is not a helpful way to confirm you have the correct rider.

I ask them to, 'please confirm the account name' as it seems less intrusive than asking 'what is your name' - once they confirm the name, I start the trip and confirm the destination. If the destination is not the same, they need to update it for me OR I ask them to show me on their phone that I'm their driver and then I'll change the destination if they can't.

This is how you protect yourself from claims that you picked up the wrong rider.

·
Premium Member
27,935 Posts

I just say "you are...." and they'll say "I'm _____" and if they say the right name off we go.

The few other times I've had others ordering for someone else they say "Mary ordered it for me" and that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
11,692 Posts
What should be said is it doesn't matter whose using the account and whose getting in your car. It is valid for a passenger to use someone else's account. Just know you won't be getting tipped nor will you be rated.
Sometimes you do. I've gotten tips for being so nice to someone's brother, caring and respectful to someone's granny, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Meh. Don’t really care. As long as whoever ordered it intends on the trip happening. There are a lot of couples that have a single account they both use, people ordering for elderly parents, someone ordering for their date, etc... If they know my name, and I know theirs, they are the right pax. Just get your money and drive them from A to B. No need to play Policeman McDetectiveson PI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sometimes you do. I've gotten tips for being so nice to someone's brother, caring and respectful to someone's granny, etc.
I imagine you're right but in my meager 70ish ride count so far I haven't received a tip from those type of trips yet. I'd say out of those rides about a dozen have been obviously people ordering rides for others.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
I'm not buying it.
I'm not here to convince you of anything, dude.

But you may be surprised. This type will usually ask you to ignire the destination or ask if you could change it.

People try all kinds of stuff. One time, i picked up a small group on a multi-stop ride from a bar. The dude in the middle of the back seat had me make a slight diversion and drop him first. Once he was out, the girls in the car started asking each other where they met him. Turned out, nobody knew him. He just scammed a free ride by following the ladies, and acting like he knew someone.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
My suggestion is not to care. They know the account holders name, their destination matches let's go! Many people commonly order rides for people and it's ok with Uber.

Best third party ride I ever had... get a ping to pick up "Patrick", young lady gets in the car, she is Patrick's girlfriend. She is crying and telling me how terrible her boyfriend is, they had a fight. I said to her "well at least he is paying for your ride home". She says he doesn't know that yet and she is holding his phone in her hand! She tells me he is so cheap he will be pissed he had to pay for her 15 mile ride home! I was half kidding and said "well then it would really piss him off if you gave me a $20 tip in the app". She laughed and said yeah that'll work. $20 tip in the app, thanks "Patrick"!
Sounds almost exactly like one I had. The boyfriend took a friends phone to call her and demand his phone back. They were out clubbing and she was flying home to Ontario in the morning ;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I gave a ride to a girl for whom her boyfriend ordered the ride. We hit right off, and I could clearly see she liked me. She gave me a $5 cash tip, and didn't want to leave, but I already had my next ping on the screen so fate separated us...

·
Premium Member
11,692 Posts
So people willingly want to go to an unknown location???

Drunk ppl.. OK. But any other random person? I'm not buying it.

I do ask for names. They get the guesses then I leave.
If you are driving in college towns, or known party areas for the college set, yeah. They'll Uber-jack rides from their friends. They know the name, and are headed relatively close to where the legit AH was going.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Koenigsegg Regera
7,828 Posts

It is not important to ID riders until you get screwed out of a long trip. Me personally I want to make sure I have the right person every trip I take, I don't want to risk losing on a trip.

That said my level of ID changes based on circumstances. I pull up to a house where houses are far apart and there is a person standing there ready to go well that gets a little less ID than picking up at a local bar when there are many people standing outside waiting for a ride and a college kid is trying to get in my car. That gets a higher level of ID'ing. Also my primary market is a little more casual ID'ing than the Miami market when I am up there.

Use what works for you, if you get burned, re-evaluate what works for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.