Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last week or so, I had two pax leave items in the car. First incident was a couple that left their house keys in the car when I dropped them off at a bar in Costa Mesa. I was in Laguna Beach when I got the call from them. Second incident was a middle aged female that left her iPhone in the back seat. I dropped her off at SNA. Both incidents took me more than 30 mins to drive all the way back to return their left items. Also both incidents, the pax did not give a tip or anything more than a quick "thank you".

So how far would you drive to return left items? If zero miles/time, then how would one handle the situation? The lady at SNA had a flight to catch and was not a local residence.

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
Over the last week or so, I had two pax leave items in the car. First incident was a couple that left their house keys in the car when I dropped them off at a bar in Costa Mesa. I was in Laguna Beach when I got the call from them. Second incident was a middle aged female that left her iPhone in the back seat. I dropped her off at SNA. Both incidents took me more than 30 mins to drive all the way back to return their left items. Also both incidents, the pax did not give a tip or anything more than a quick "thank you".

So how far would you drive to return left items? If zero miles/time, then how would one handle the situation? The lady at SNA had a flight to catch and was not a local residence.
Turn off all electronics immediately. You have now been schooled. 30 minutes and they felt you had to cover the cost of the return because they were irresponsible. This is Uber's issue not yours. They are Uber's clients, not yours. My personal clients tip. Uber's clients are cheap and shirk their responsibility. My personal clients appreciate me. Uber's clients could care less about you.

This is all you need to know, you have lost enough time and money at the expense of self-entitlement.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't able to locate your item(s). I'll keep looking and contact you if they turn up"

That is even if you want to respond to them. Uber will most likely send you an email asking if they can release your phone number to their clients. In which you respond to Uber.

"If I had found anything in my vehicle I always immediately contact the passenger through the Uber app, as they have not heard from me I haven't found any of their belongings in my vehicle. Please inform your client, I wasn't able to locate their item(s). I'll keep looking and contact them if they turn up"

That's it. If we enable this behavior by returning their crap they will assume it's part of the service that the tip is included with. They have to be trained, one set of keys, one cell phone, one iPad, etc, at a time.

I know it sucks because you want to do the right thing, well they don't tip, as you have found out. They don't do the right thing, so you don't have to either. Time and Overhead has a cost, your time isn't free. They may think it is, but Uber has evolved their system this way. Therefore, the tip is included and so is the return of lost items. It's best not to return anything. Set the precedence, Uber is worse than taxi companies. Because I know without a doubt a taxi driver would return it. Because they got tipped.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
I would drive 0.0 miles. Seriously.

If you dig through the archives of this forum, you'll find a returned item horror story I posted. Long story short, you are not required to deliver items to the pax. Instead, simply drop them off at the Uber office in Westwood on your day off. This is what I tell pax now when I find their lost item in my vehicle:

"Yes, sir/mam. I did locate your [whatever]. I have placed it in an envelope with your name on it, and will be delivering this to the Uber office in Westwood on Monday. You can pick it up there any time after 12:00PM. If you would like me to add any additional information to the envelope, please let me know now. (take info). OK, great. Thanks for riding with Uber." >CLICK<.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im on this situation right now, i knew i ****ed up when i said "ya ur right it is on the backseat" but only because it was the guy's daughter's ipod. but considering theyre not even from town and theyre from seattle going to spain for the rest of the summer next week. the guy had a fedex guy come to my house and try to pick it up only to be rejected because theres no paperwork whatsoever (guy's an idiot for not telling me) and was asked to fill it out only to see that that said paper is asking for the credit card # so now were on the drawing board again. i won't make any effort to bring it back. not my fault, but i will cooperate to whatever he wants to do to get it picked up :)

·
Registered
158 Posts

I always say make sure you get everything when they exit the car. But if they left anything in my car, they have to come pick it up. I am not delivery it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Someone left some sunglasses (possibly prescription) in my car. I remembered them and that I'd picked them up not all that from from where I live. I had them meet me a a freeway exit that was directly on my way home from my 9-to-5, so I drove maybe 800 ft. out of my way. No tip though.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
This is Uber's issue not yours
You said a mouthful. I just take stuff back to them but Uber should pay us for it and figure out for themselves if they want to recharge pax for it. They could do it without violating the "Uber is just a facilitator" story line they like to tell.

I had a guy tell me he took $3,000 in Uber rides between here, Las Vegas and Boston last year and a week before (in L.A.) he left his iphone in the car by accident, fell out of his pocket or whatever. He called CSR and told them he'd pay the driver $250 to bring it back and never heard anything. Now I'm sure the CSR didn't pass that information along but still, if you leave your phone at a restaurant you don't feel like you have to bribe somebody to get it back and pax shouldn't feel that way either

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
You said a mouthful. I just take stuff back to them but Uber should pay us for it and figure out for themselves if they want to recharge pax for it. They could do it without violating the "Uber is just a facilitator" story line they like to tell.

I had a guy tell me he took $3,000 in Uber rides between here, Las Vegas and Boston last year and a week before (in L.A.) he left his iphone in the car by accident, fell out of his pocket or whatever. He called CSR and told them he'd pay the driver $250 to bring it back and never heard anything. Now I'm sure the CSR didn't pass that information along but still, if you leave your phone at a restaurant you don't feel like you have to bribe somebody to get it back and pax shouldn't feel that way either
If you left something at a restaurant you would go back to the restaurant to get, you wouldn't expect the restaurant to hunt you down on their time and get it back to you. Just saying.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
If you left something at a restaurant you would go back to the restaurant to get, you wouldn't expect the restaurant to hunt you down on their time and get it back to you. Just saying.
Tell that to Ronald Goldman.

But you're right. That's why I think Uber should pay us to bring it back. And frankly I think they should eat that cost but it'd be understandable if they wanted to rebill it. Either way, it's inappropriate to ask your partner to bear the burden. That's how come there's so many hard feelings about it. It's not the lack of a tip, it's Uber telling pax's and drivers alike, the driver's time and money is expendable.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts