Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was introduced to this forum there's always been multiple constructive criticisms with decent solutions that were thought of by you the members. So rather than having it all spaced out that people will just forget about, I wanted to create a thread where we could at least have a discussion where we can define the problem and refine a solution because as we all know, drivers are disorganized. This disorganization is precisely the reason that we have had no progress in making our lives easier but instead having our benefits slowly chipped away by both the city we inhabit and the companies that we have brought prosperity to.

First things first though- This thread is meant to identify problems and the solutions proposed to fix them. I will be updating this thread with every refined solutions, or new problems that are discovered. It can be anything from the way we are treated to what's missing in the app and so forth. Trolls are welcome just so long as we have some people that actually want to contribute their ideas so we, as drivers, can organize in a manner which I hope to facilitate depending on the success of this thread and so forth. All states are welcome but I will be focusing mainly on NYC drivers.

1. Cap on FHV Drivers
Problem - No cap on FHV drivers and thus there is a massive influx of FHV drivers flooding the streets oversaturating this job making many it harder for many of the older drivers to make money.

Solution - Capping at an X amount of FHV drivers with licenses allowed to work. For example, only 80,000 of people can have FHV license. To ensure this works out, TLC must separate the licenses again instead of having a universal license giving people the ability to work yellow and FHV. Instead, have it separated so people that want to work yellow have to get a yellow tlc license and for people wanting FHV work, a separate FHV license.

Thought Process - Now just as much as there is an influx of new drivers, there is a high amount of drivers that exit this industry. So with that in mind, when a driver no longer is doing FHV work, he/she must inform TLC or wait until renewal date, and not renew or surrender. Now, the way the system will be placed would be when the driver surrenders his license, a spot opens for a FHV driver applicant to receive the license. So here is how it would if this plan of mine is carried out - All current license holders will continue to hold their TLC license while all new applicants will be placed on a waitlist similar to how the NYPD brings in new recruits. So because a lot of drivers currently hold a universal license, TLC can impose the separated licenses for new recruits and analyze who does FHV work and who does yellow in their current pool of license owners. So basically, anyone who applies for their tlc license after date X, they will have to choose to apply for either the FHV driver license OR Yellow/Green driver license. Because there is a finite amount of medallions on the road, TLC can issue an unlimited amount of Yellow/Green Driver licenses since the yellow/green business is really on a cliff. But with the FHV, there can only be the X amount of FHV license holders. Now everyone wonders exactly how many FHV drivers should be on the road and it depends on the rideshare data that all companies should disclose to TLC or to the city so we have a more accurate statistic on how many rides are requested daily and in which areas. I think the cap should be around 30k-75k although I could be very wrong and maybe someone who has been in this industry longer than I can answer. But in any case, to all the new FHV applicants, they will be placed on a waitlist if the cap is reached and if TLC wants to get some residual revenue, they can charge the applicant a low fee to continue staying on the waitlist so the applicants that actually want to become FHV drivers will stay. For the start date of the cap, I believe it should be the date where the last universal TLC license was given so that way all new applicants will be applying for the separated licenses if they turn in their applications after that date. Not all of the drivers that hold the universal license will continue being on the road because again, a lot of drivers do leave this business, are forced out because of violations etc. So this system would be initialized on say 2018 and would be fully integrated by 2020. TLC also should not restrict current drivers, so all current drivers holding the universal license should not in any way lose their license because of implementing this system.

2. Independent Contractor
Problem - As independent contractors, we should to some degree know where the rider is headed or at least how much we are being paid.

Solution - Similar to how the Long ride 45+ minute was implemented, there should be a notification if it states the destination is out of state, long mileage (10+ miles) or simply put how much our estimated earnings are for the next ride.

3. Ratings
Problem - There are no incentives for having high ratings apart from being able to pick up "VIP" riders which again provides no additional benefits.

Solution - Going back to the solution given for problem 2, if a driver has achieved and maintained a certain rating threshold like say 4.85 or 4.90, then because of their high rating, they should be able to either receive more rewarding weekly goals or have access to all the information proposed in the solution for problem 2. What I mean is if a driver has a rating lower than the needed rating, they would not receive certain notifications like the high mileage or out of state notification but if their rating is high enough, then they will receive those kind of information so that way, drivers that have earned their reputation in terms of ratings are able to actually gain benefits instead of ratings being a worthless concept.

4. Ratings (again)
Problem - Ratings don't really speak for the driver itself because we have passengers that will complain about unsafe driving just to get ride credits or will immediately one star for no reason or the smallest of reasons. It doesn't speak for the actual ride quality provided by the driver itself.

Solution - If ratings don't bring in benefits, then get rid of the primitive 5 star rating system and implement the thumbs up, neutral, thumbs down rating system. (This is the system I will be implementing in my ridesharing company when it comes into existence). So basically the way this system works is, when the ride ends, passengers can rate the drivers in one of three ways, thumbs up, neutral or thumbs down. If a thumbs up is given then it means the passenger can one day be picked up by the driver again. If its neutral then it means that the passenger is willing to give the driver another chance. Thumbs down means the rider and driver is never paired again. This will reduce the whole stress about ratings for drivers creating happier drivers so less hostility towards companies and paranoia during rides.

Plenty of more to say but it's 10 at night right now lol so thank you for the read, hopefully we can get this ball rolling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since I was introduced to this forum there's always been multiple constructive criticisms with decent solutions that were thought of by you the members. So rather than having it all spaced out that people will just forget about, I wanted to create a thread where we could at least have a discussion where we can define the problem and refine a solution because as we all know, drivers are disorganized. This disorganization is precisely the reason that we have had no progress in making our lives easier but instead having our benefits slowly chipped away by both the city we inhabit and the companies that we have brought prosperity to.

First things first though- This thread is meant to identify problems and the solutions proposed to fix them. I will be updating this thread with every refined solutions, or new problems that are discovered. It can be anything from the way we are treated to what's missing in the app and so forth. Trolls are welcome just so long as we have some people that actually want to contribute their ideas so we, as drivers, can organize in a manner which I hope to facilitate depending on the success of this thread and so forth. All states are welcome but I will be focusing mainly on NYC drivers.

1. Cap on FHV Drivers
Problem - No cap on FHV drivers and thus there is a massive influx of FHV drivers flooding the streets oversaturating this job making many it harder for many of the older drivers to make money.

Solution - Capping at an X amount of FHV drivers with licenses allowed to work. For example, only 80,000 of people can have FHV license. To ensure this works out, TLC must separate the licenses again instead of having a universal license giving people the ability to work yellow and FHV. Instead, have it separated so people that want to work yellow have to get a yellow tlc license and for people wanting FHV work, a separate FHV license.

Thought Process - Now just as much as there is an influx of new drivers, there is a high amount of drivers that exit this industry. So with that in mind, when a driver no longer is doing FHV work, he/she must inform TLC or wait until renewal date, and not renew or surrender. Now, the way the system will be placed would be when the driver surrenders his license, a spot opens for a FHV driver applicant to receive the license. So here is how it would if this plan of mine is carried out - All current license holders will continue to hold their TLC license while all new applicants will be placed on a waitlist similar to how the NYPD brings in new recruits. So because a lot of drivers currently hold a universal license, TLC can impose the separated licenses for new recruits and analyze who does FHV work and who does yellow in their current pool of license owners. So basically, anyone who applies for their tlc license after date X, they will have to choose to apply for either the FHV driver license OR Yellow/Green driver license. Because there is a finite amount of medallions on the road, TLC can issue an unlimited amount of Yellow/Green Driver licenses since the yellow/green business is really on a cliff. But with the FHV, there can only be the X amount of FHV license holders. Now everyone wonders exactly how many FHV drivers should be on the road and it depends on the rideshare data that all companies should disclose to TLC or to the city so we have a more accurate statistic on how many rides are requested daily and in which areas. I think the cap should be around 30k-75k although I could be very wrong and maybe someone who has been in this industry longer than I can answer. But in any case, to all the new FHV applicants, they will be placed on a waitlist if the cap is reached and if TLC wants to get some residual revenue, they can charge the applicant a low fee to continue staying on the waitlist so the applicants that actually want to become FHV drivers will stay. For the start date of the cap, I believe it should be the date where the last universal TLC license was given so that way all new applicants will be applying for the separated licenses if they turn in their applications after that date. Not all of the drivers that hold the universal license will continue being on the road because again, a lot of drivers do leave this business, are forced out because of violations etc. So this system would be initialized on say 2018 and would be fully integrated by 2020. TLC also should not restrict current drivers, so all current drivers holding the universal license should not in any way lose their license because of implementing this system.

2. Independent Contractor
Problem - As independent contractors, we should to some degree know where the rider is headed or at least how much we are being paid.

Solution - Similar to how the Long ride 45+ minute was implemented, there should be a notification if it states the destination is out of state, long mileage (10+ miles) or simply put how much our estimated earnings are for the next ride.

3. Ratings
Problem - There are no incentives for having high ratings apart from being able to pick up "VIP" riders which again provides no additional benefits.

Solution - Going back to the solution given for problem 2, if a driver has achieved and maintained a certain rating threshold like say 4.85 or 4.90, then because of their high rating, they should be able to either receive more rewarding weekly goals or have access to all the information proposed in the solution for problem 2. What I mean is if a driver has a rating lower than the needed rating, they would not receive certain notifications like the high mileage or out of state notification but if their rating is high enough, then they will receive those kind of information so that way, drivers that have earned their reputation in terms of ratings are able to actually gain benefits instead of ratings being a worthless concept.

4. Ratings (again)
Problem - Ratings don't really speak for the driver itself because we have passengers that will complain about unsafe driving just to get ride credits or will immediately one star for no reason or the smallest of reasons. It doesn't speak for the actual ride quality provided by the driver itself.

Solution - If ratings don't bring in benefits, then get rid of the primitive 5 star rating system and implement the thumbs up, neutral, thumbs down rating system. (This is the system I will be implementing in my ridesharing company when it comes into existence). So basically the way this system works is, when the ride ends, passengers can rate the drivers in one of three ways, thumbs up, neutral or thumbs down. If a thumbs up is given then it means the passenger can one day be picked up by the driver again. If its neutral then it means that the passenger is willing to give the driver another chance. Thumbs down means the rider and driver is never paired again. This will reduce the whole stress about ratings for drivers creating happier drivers so less hostility towards companies and paranoia during rides.

Plenty of more to say but it's 10 at night right now lol so thank you for the read, hopefully we can get this ball rolling.
So sad when you see them go. SMH. So sad.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
uber can start by bringing back full use of destination filters.

lyft can start by implementing uber's system for stacked pings. (give us decline option and show us rider rating, surge, and pickup time)

re: original suggestions - apparently dara announced that he supports a cap on drivers in nyc. but he wants the city to implement it for him.

dara is weird. he also wants to tax his own drivers in order to support the yellows. does anyone actually believe these statements of his?

as for ratings: dara announced that in the future riders may be able to pay more to get a higher rated driver. while we all know the driver will still get paid the same, i think most of us can agree that said driver should be paid lower rates, in order to increase utilization and beat the winter slump. a special prize is that the driver will have access to the most picky customers for no extra pay.

signing off,

bf

·
Registered
978 Posts
All these ideas you brought up were discussed here a few years back.... yes that’s how long some of us been here... the fact is if you want change, you gotta organize all these uncommitted and selfish drivers. Without one United voice your post is nothing but another ant chirping on a forum. So unless you are willing to lead the charge, be prepared For the jokes and the jabs from your competitions, sorry I meant your coworkers..

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
We need to get rid of the unbalanced rating system. Pax get to ride with a 3 rating but drivers get deactivated at 4.4. We also need these app companies to clearly define what is expected vs what is optional on anyaIgiven trip . I am tired of pax asking for music to be changed and throwing a fit when I say no. If Uber expects pax to be able to choose the music, let me know and I will delete the app, problem solved. But don't email me about pax complaining about my professionalism because I told them I don't have aux cord and I won't turn on the radio. FOH with that. Hmmm, what else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts