Uber Drivers Forum banner

How will you tip as a customer?

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Banned
10,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so long ago there was a discussion about cash tips versus electronic tips.

Some, such as myself always tip electronically and made it a point to bring up how dirty cash is (along with many other negatives). Others say they always tip cash 💵 because it's not taxed, etc.

Now with the new 🍺 scare, as a uber driver, do you still want cash tips?

As the customer, do you still prefer to give out cash tips?

💰 Not carrying this around 🤷‍♀

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
Mostly cash since I get cash tips but if no cash then through app. Unless its doordash cause I heard the drivers see their earnings before accepting and I dont want any possible delays to get my food

Reactions: Mkang14

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts

Some, such as myself always tip electronically and made it a point to bring up how dirty cash is (along with many other negatives). Others say they always tip cash 💵 because it's not taxed, etc.

What is this "tip" you speak of?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I tap the driver on the shoulder with my paw and ask him if he wants a tip. If he says yes, I tell him to come closer. Then I put my snout right up to his ear so he can feel my cold wet nose on his face.

Then I whisper slowly, over my hot smelly breath,

"If you're ever in the forest ... "

"In the winter ... "

"Don't eat the yellow snow!"

·
Administrator
6,981 Posts

Usually in app.

I rarely pay for things in cash nowadays (although I keep some in my wallet just in case). Don't see the point fiddling around with cash and change every time I buy stuff.

Also, to me it seems more natural to tip using the same method I'm paying with.

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts

Electronic- you mean transistors inside the phone?? Do I tip through my transistors 🤔
I did get a cash tip yesterday, and got rid of it right away😉 and washed hands. Pax was a ex fringe PGA golfer...He never played the Masters, but was able to get into the US open once. He finished in the top 20 once, then quit. Could not make a living.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts

You bet I do. The more, the merrier.

·
Premium Member
17,500 Posts
I’m cashless. Now if I could get wife to go cashless I wouldn’t have to get cash FOR her.

·
Premium Member
26,817 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
In my home market, always through the app because the rides I take here are short and I don't tend to carry much cash.

While I was in NJ, I tipped cash when I got in and also in the app. While there, I either crossed over between NYC and NJ or did very long rides within NJ that took the driver at least 30 miles away.

I also tipped cash when I was in Ireland - I took an UberBlack (UberX isn't allowed) - the driver just looked at me with wide eyes and said "Wow! That's a first on a ride through Uber". I was like "Seriously? You've never received a tip with Uber?" 😳 He obviously had his own clientele outside of Uber and only logged on when he was otherwise free.

So, my answer is...it depends. 😁

·
Premium Member
26,817 Posts
He obviously had his own clientele outside of Uber and only logged on when he was otherwise free.
That was the original concept of Uber. It was only for limousines/black cars. The idea was that the limousine drivers would be "radio" cab drivers between bookings. This is why Uber Black was the first Uber.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That was the original concept of Uber. It was only for limousines/black cars. The idea was that the limousine drivers would be "radio" cab drivers between bookings. This is why Uber Black was the first Uber.
Right! 😁 My point was more that he obviously got tips...just not through Uber. So, not only does Uber take a cut of his earnings, he could expect no tip. I feel like it has to be pretty slow to justify taking Uber rides. 😳

·
Premium Member
26,817 Posts
I feel like it has to be pretty slow to justify taking Uber rides.
Yes, that would be correct. If you have nothing better to do, you might as well make a dollar or two.

Uber Taxi works well in my market, but it does not work so well in others. In Orlando, Florida, they take a sizable chunk from the driver. Thus, it makes it not worth the bother if it is busy for the cab. If it is slow, a short loaf is better than zero.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.