Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to encourage driving when you're tired and should be getting some rest.
But sometimes I'm out there and it just hits me. Sometimes I'm about 30 minutes away from home when this happens.
What do you guys do?
I always have sunflower seeds in my car. Those work pretty good for me. I'll usually spit them out into an empty coffee cup.
But I can't do sunflower seeds with pax in the car. Pretty gross. A few times I've had to fight nodding off while driving a pax. Oddly enough, this wasn't late at night. After my other job, sometimes I drive a few hours before heading home. Need something to help me in those situations.
What's your trick or favorite energy drink?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Provigil (modafinil). If it's safe enough for the USAF to give their pilots, then...

For the record - I'm not recommending or encouraging anyone to take a prescription pharmaceutical product to avoid sleeping. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and Provigil is a medication used to treat narcolepsy in shift workers. I take it sparingly, because while Provigil can keep me awake for up to 48 hours continuously, when it wears off I will sleep for almost 18 hours straight.

·
Premium Member
70,233 Posts
I'm not trying to encourage driving when you're tired and should be getting some rest.
But sometimes I'm out there and it just hits me. Sometimes I'm about 30 minutes away from home when this happens.
What do you guys do?
I always have sunflower seeds in my car. Those work pretty good for me. I'll usually spit them out into an empty coffee cup.
But I can't do sunflower seeds with pax in the car. Pretty gross. A few times I've had to fight nodding off while driving a pax. Oddly enough, this wasn't late at night. After my other job, sometimes I drive a few hours before heading home. Need something to help me in those situations.
Natural.
Ive always not been on a 24 hour cycle.

I can also sleep anytime anywhere when i want to.
On steel grating.
During a 1/2 hour lunch.
Standing up in a manlift 100 feet up.
On an 8 inch beam high in the air . . .
Noise and comfort, day or night not an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
What do you guys do?
Yes sunflower seeds are my go to. I suggest getting raw ones because regular has too much sodium. I usually mix raw with roasted/salted.
A good candy is jolly ranchers. If you don't bite, it usually takes 7 minutes to finish one. Also they are only about 23 calories per jolly rancher. Which equates to about 3 calories per minute. Even if you consumed them for an hour it would be about 190 calories per hour. Sun flower seeds are about 1 calorie per 2-3 seeds depending on the size. Pretty low.

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
It's hard for me to relate to the OP because I've never reached the point of feeling like I might nod off with a passenger in the car. I'm usually good until at least 1:00 or 2:00am with my caffeinated diet cokes. If I start feeling drowsy I turn off the app and call it a night.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes sunflower seeds are my go to. I suggest getting raw ones because regular has too much sodium. I usually mix raw with roasted/salted.
Last week I found some spicy Tapatio sunflower seeds. Didn't like them at all. My tongue was on fire! But I'm keeping them around because I am definitely not falling asleep if I'm popping those in my mouth.

It's hard for me to relate to the OP because I've never reached the point of feeling like I might nod off with a passenger in the car. I'm usually good until at least 1:00 or 2:00am with my caffeinated diet cokes. If I start feeling drowsy I turn off the app and call it a night.
Doesn't happen very often. But when it does I really struggle if I don't have something to help me stay alert.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Last week I found some spicy Tapatio sunflower seeds. Didn't like them at all. My tongue was on fire! But I'm keeping them around because I am definitely not falling asleep if I'm popping those in my mouth.

Doesn't happen very often. But when it does I really struggle if I don't have something to help me stay alert.
I tried to find different flavors but they usually add things that are artificial.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.