Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google Maps seems to suck my cell phone battery dry. Even when I have the phone plugged in while in the car the battery will go down to nothing. Is there a way to save the battery from running down so quickly?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Agreed. If you have a cheep car charger and cheap cable, it will not keep up with your phone's charging requirements. If your phone is Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 certified, then be sure to get one of those car chargers along with a quality, high-performance cable (Anker or Aukey or iOrange come to mind). Then you're phone will stay sufficiently charged.

You can also download your area maps in Google Maps which will save some battery as it won't have to pull down maps from the internet each and every ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's right. For example, the USB in my Mercedes has an output of only 500 milliamps (1/2 amp). There's no way, that I'm aware of, to boost the amperage from that plug, however, by plugging a high speed, 3 amp (or greater) charger into your 5 volt cigarette lighter socket, you get much faster charging speeds.

I was about to needlessly have the battery in my iPhone replaced before I found out about the differences in the potential output of various chargers. I had mistakenly assumed that all chargers had basically the same output. Now my phone battery stays at 100%, even while simultaneously running Uber Partner app, Uber Passenger app, Lyft, Surge 2x, Google Maps, Waze and iHeart Radio.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yes, those USB ports in cars are horrible (as are the ones on airplanes). Better to use they cigarette-lighter type and get full amperage possible. Remember, too, that cables make a difference. There are some cheaper, low-output cables, that won't keep up with the charger. Always buy high quality cables. I've been loving the iOrange and Aukey braided cables lately. I had to purchase a few now that my phone is USB C, but I bought a few of the micro USB ones as well. They are high quality and high speed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
cig power is almost always better than the native USB plug in cars!

Reactions: JimZZZ

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
All the above are good advice. Don't go cheap quality!

another thing to do.....I got a $40 portable battery charger. No more worrying about charging....feels invincible to have one. I don't have to keep car running to keep charge up.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I do have a cheap cable, purchased before I realized cables varied.

I keep that cable in the car in case the pax asks for one to use.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Keep screen brightness at the lower level. I usually keep it at 30% during the day and at 0% at night. Visibility is very good at those numbers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
1. Have a good charger cord. The plugs wear out and the cords can be damaged. So, buy a quality cord-- one that comes in a blister pack, not one that sits in a bin next to the register.

2. Turn the brightness of your phone display down, or at least set it to " auto."

3. Replace your battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I ended up bumying the Aukey 2amp charger and cable. Keeping the phone in low power mode does the trick! The poster recommending Aukey was spot on, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Google Maps seems to suck my cell phone battery dry. Even when I have the phone plugged in while in the car the battery will go down to nothing. Is there a way to save the battery from running down so quickly?
Interesting. I leave mine plugged in and it stays fully charged. I do have a GalaxyS6 with a fast charger. Also I have a vent phone mount. Not sure but it might help if you keep it cool while you use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts