Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This no-tipping thing is so ridiculous. How are you rating your no tipping pax? 1 star or 4? I am this close to putting a small sign on the back of my headrest explaining the rating system and how tips are appreciated. Does anyone else do either?

·
Registered
226 Posts
That would yank down your own rating, i'm not sure what to advise you.
I have completed 560 trips and have MAYBE received 15 tips me from $2 - 20. But I am a part timer and my main source of income its not from Uber.
My rating is by how nice/pleasant the passenger is as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tipping is nice but not expected. Honestly why punish the rider when uber tells them not to tip?

I give everybody 5 stars if they are cool.

I will dock a star if they slam the door. immediate 1 star if the slamming of the door causes my car to shake.
-1 if they question my directions. just going the way the directions told me to go, or if they are rude.

Like JohnF I have completed about 500 trips and have only been tipped a dozen times.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I rate everyone a 5. Unless they seem like they may have an issue (i.e. navigation, being rude, or just take their sweet time getting in.) Non-tippers get 5's to, as long as they are "cool". Like Random Driver said, no need to punish them for what have been told not to do. They are following the rules.

For slamming doors, my doors have this spring thing that assists in the closing of the door. (if you close it slowly, you can feel the door jerk at one point, and then you can take your hand off, and it will close by itself.) Because of this, nearly everybody ends up slamming my doors. I can't get mad, because this is how the door is designed. Now, what really makes me happy is when they start to apologize profusely for slamming the door, but it was not really their fault.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I don't give pax ratings too much thought. Uber isn't going to deactivate the customer. I wish they would get rid of the ratings system for both sides.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Depends entirely on the mood I'm in. I don't really give to much meaning to the rating system. I'll rate someone low if they seem ungrateful, or I'll rate them 5. Don't take Uber seriously, it's all a joke.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
In 52 trips, I've received two $2 tips. I don't sweat the tip thing at this point.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but in my non-lawyerly opinion, having worked with the independent contractor laws for years, that Uber saying tips aren't necessary is an overreach on their part more in the employer relationship than the agency relationship.

I would never join a class action in Texas trying to get us classified as employees. Anyone who wants to do this just isn't thinking things through. Most cabbies are IC's and lease their cabs. I would join a class action requesting that Uber remove the "tips are included" BS. They don't have to say anything about showing your appreciation of your driver by tipping them, just stop saying tips are included or not necessary.

Anyway, I've rated every rider but one a full 5 stars. The 4 star was a kid who was having a screaming argument with his (presumably) dad on the phone and when he was done, started playing his own music without using ear buds. I don't know what sort of music he was listening to. Some garage band alternative.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If they tip, they get a 5 star from me. I don't care if they call me a prick and slap me on the back of the head the whole way. Tip = 5 star.
No tip but a pleasant ride gets a 4 star, unless they have long legs and a big butt. That is a 5 star also.
If I have to wait for them and no tip. 1 star. Never have I given a 2 or 3 star. I like the rating system for passengers. Wish everyone would quit throwing 5 star ratings just willy nilly.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If they tip, they get a 5 star from me. I don't care if they call me a prick and slap me on the back of the head the whole way. Tip = 5 star.
No tip but a pleasant ride gets a 4 star, unless they have long legs and a big butt. That is a 5 star also.
If I have to wait for them and no tip. 1 star. Never have I given a 2 or 3 star. I like the rating system for passengers. Wish everyone would quit throwing 5 star ratings just willy nilly.
I hear ya about throwing around 5 stars. I guess I'm still too new to have come up with a pax rating system that works for me.

I understand the rating system is there for a reason and simply giving everyone a five star rating defeats the purpose of having a rating system.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everybody starts with a four star. If they do ANYTHING to annoy me, one star. If they tip, five stars.
If they don't tip and don't bother me then I give 4. Any issue at all and it goes
down there. I like to rate honestly more as a way to let other drivers know how this pax may be. One prick had a 3.8 for a reason- he was completely rude. All tipping Pax get a 5. One day I got about $60 cash in tips- very random and I do not expect it to happen again.

When I took my first Uber as a rider recently in New Orleans I tipped $5 for a $8 fare. I tip waiters generously too because I used to wait tables. With Uber taking 22-30% out of all my fares, I feel tipping is necessary. I get comments like "You are a cool Uber driver" (I have a 4.9). Also, a pax have asked me about tipping and some were shocked to learn the tip wasn't included and how much Uber takes out.

Reactions: NH_Uber_Driver

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
If they don't tip and don't bother me then I give 4. Any issue at all and it goes
down there. I like to rate honestly more as a way to let other drivers know how this pax may be. One prick had a 3.8 for a reason- he was completely rude. All tipping Pax get a 5. One day I got about $60 cash in tips- very random and I do not expect it to happen again.

When I took my first Uber as a rider recently in New Orleans I tipped $5 for a $8 fare. I tip waiters generously too because I used to wait tables. With Uber taking 22-30% out of all my fares, I feel tipping is necessary. I get comments like "You are a cool Uber driver" (I have a 4.9). Also, a pax have asked me about tipping and some were shocked to learn the tip wasn't included and how much Uber takes out.
Rarely so shocked that they tip.

·
Registered
226 Posts
it's not that difficult. If the ride is pleasant, and
you smile at the end of the trip the pax gets a 5 star,
you don't have a smile 4 star,
you have a frown 3 stars
you are mad at the pax why the hell did you not terminate the ride early and kick them out?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I remember I picked one guy up at the Four Seasons downtown, even though he had a smart mouth and was pissing me off, he offered to buy me something at starbucks and gave me a tip. He got five stars. Another time I picked up a elderly couple. They started complaining the minute they got in because I didn't come inside the gate of their apartment complex. And then the man starts complaining that I was driving too fast. So I'm thinking one star for them. But when I dropped them off the woman apologized and the man gave me a $10 tip. So yeah if you tip I'll listen to your bullshit.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here's a perfect example. Picked up a young man at IAH this morning to go Downtown. He's here for a job interview from Detroit. Well dress, very polite and friendly. Talked a little about everything. Then he mentions he drives for Uber in Detroit. He *****es about the rates, *****'s about the Uber 20% take as well as a few other things. I ask him about how folks up there tip. It ends up being another of his pet peeves. He even says how much tips help. He asks about driving here and I mention many of the things we discuss here.
Drop him off, wish him luck in his interview, he walks away. Guess What. 1 Star. Later Dude.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Here's another.. Uber X (not even XL) Pax going to the airport. I open the back of the "soccer-mom mobile" as Bukrub calls it, :) and dude looks at me like I am stupid. Luggage on the ground. I said, "Go ahead, I don't know which piece you want in there and if any with you." (One was a briefcase) and he was talking on the phone the whole time" He then walks to the back door and stands there. I was already in the drivers seat. He lets him self in. Then he was on a conference call (thank goodness) for most of the ride, but he immediately asks for "Where do you keep the water and a snacks." I ask if he needed me to stop on the way? He then advised me he is an "Uber Pro" and I should "step up my game." Other drivers in other cities provide snacks and get tips.

One star... Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Here's another.. Uber X (not even XL) Pax going to the airport. I open the back of the "soccer-mom mobile" as Bukrub calls it, :) and dude looks at me like I am stupid. Luggage on the ground. I said, "Go ahead, I don't know which piece you want in there and if any with you." (One was a briefcase) and he was talking on the phone the whole time" He then walks to the back door and stands there. I was already in the drivers seat. He lets him self in. Then he was on a conference call (thank goodness) for most of the ride, but he immediately asks for "Where do you keep the water and a snacks." I ask if he needed me to stop on the way? He then advised me he is an "Uber Pro" and I should "step up my game." Other drivers in other cities provide snacks and get tips.

One star... Unbelievable.
I think I understand what's going on here. A few days ago I had a car full of pax who were talking about Uber, and they mentioned something that was very interesting to me. Apparently Uber defines what a 5 star driver is to them. They quoted in their conversation as Uber describing a 5 star driver to be someone who does the things Uber recommended in their training video to us. You know, "open doors, provide water, load luggage, etc, etc". The one who said this also mentioned that they've never had a driver do these things. Well, apparently the person who was saying all this was bothered deep down by never receiving this "5 star service", I guess, because at the end of the ride she specifically requests me to open the door (I do it because I'm a nice person and I really don't give a ****) then she requires me to unload what seems to be a mostly empty carry-on sized bag, which I always do regardless. The way she requested these things was kind of pathetic also. It's almost as if she really didn't even care about them, but just feels she was being cheated out of the full "Uber experience". I didn't have time to analyze it all on the spot or give a ****, because ironically enough I just pulled a back muscle much worse than I realized on the ride just before. That's why this time I was not to enthusiastic about unloading anything and why I had decided to just go ahead and let them do it themselves since they already were pulling it out anyway (up until the edge of the trunk before demanding that I do the rest), and also considering they had offered to load it themselves originally and it weighed nothing, so I wasn't worried about any damage to my car, I didn't think it was a big deal. Ironic that this would happen right after I pulled my back assisting a passenger last ride, which was caused by me turning in my seat to swipe their access card for a gated apartment complex. I actually became immobile by the end of the day because of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts