Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy last night who kept telling me speed up speed up I was going 40 miles an hour the speed limit was 40 I hate anyone telling me how to drive and then of course there's no tip involved after risking getting a $250 ticket for his no tipping ass.
Also the other night I had three guys in the car they wanted to stop at McDonald's and I told them I have to take them straight to their destination why do they think they can break the agreement by taking us off course there would have been no tip involved in that either I'm sure. how do you handle all this

One more question why does Uber allow passengers to enter their pickup address but no destination? I have had that happen now twice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I will say next time but I'll say $5 upfront because I wouldn't trust these people to divvy up 5 bucks at the end of the trip.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Exactly. Stick your hand in their face and tell that'll be $5. Remind them that you make minimum wage and that driving around late at night is probably the most dangerous thing that these hipsters are probably going to do all day.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Unless it's raining 5-8 mph over the speed limit is generally safe practice. (many jurisdictions start 9mph-12mph over)
However, you are the driver. If someone tells you how to drive feel free to end the trip and politely ask them to call a new uber.

Remember, this is just an app on your phone. You are your own boss. A lot of new drivers feel like Uber is their boss, and feel all kinds of anxiety.
The worst thing that can happen is getting deactivated and getting a better job.

·
Registered
76 Posts
why do they think they can break the agreement by taking us off course
What agreement would that be? Maybe it's different in O.K.C., but in Boston fares based on time and distance.

When it comes to special requests (multiple stops, going through a drive-thru etc...) my first inclination is to try to find a way to say 'sure, no problem, why not' whenever possible.

Think about it, I'm out there because I want to make a buck driving someone where they want to go. If, while going from point "A" to point "B", they decide they'd also like to go to point"C,D&E", more money for me.

The rider in my back seat is "a bird in the hand." There needs to be a pretty compelling reason for me to even consider trading that in early for "two in the bush."

Big surges are a compelling reason. As are waiting in excess of five minutes and the overall "******bagedness" of the rider. For the most part, however, I try not to let perfect be the enemy of very good.

As for handling people urging me to break the law, it doesn't happen very often but when it does, a little bit of people skills go a long way.

I realize not everyone brings the same gifts to the table. Some people are just naturally outgoing and talking with people is second nature to them.

Others, like myself, need to work a little harder at it. Rest assured, that with just a small amount of desire and effort, almost anyone can develop the skills and confidence to handle most situations.

To see examples of people who are experts at dealing with the public, you need look no further than the bartenders at any busy club in your area. Only the most skilled will be working the busiest times. Sit back, have a beverage and observe. Focus on the way they interact with the public. All in the name of research and occupational development.

Despite what you may come across on this forum, the pax is not an adversary to be defeated. Resist the urge to think of them as such. That mindset is not in your own self interest.

Despite what you may come across on this forum, UBER is not out to screw you over at every turn. Resist the urge to believe they are. That mindset is not in your own self interest.

Once it is understood that the motivation behind most behavior, human and corporate alike, is self interest it becomes easier to avoid responding emotionally and act in a way that is better for you. Think Edith Bunker. Younger people can YouTube search for her.

why does Uber allow passengers to enter their pickup address but no destination? I have had that happen now twice
Because not only "allowing" but actually requiring riders to enter their pickup location may, quite possibly, be the most ingeniously efficient way imaginable of communicating to a driver where they should go in order to find their fare.

If a rider hasn't entered their destination, try the following:
  • Ask the rider for their destination
  • Open Google Maps
  • Touch the microphone icon
  • Say "Navigate to ............
  • Proceed via the route provided.
It will work for you I promise.

The most important part of any job is to enjoy yourself doing it. If you cannot find a way to do that driving with UBER, you owe it to yourself and the people that care for you to try to find something else as soon as possible. I mean that sincerely not sarcastically.

Not to be too preachy (I know waaaaay too late) but life really is short. You will be dead a very long time, try to make your mind up to be happy.

End of today's sermon. Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I've never said anything to a customer about a tip because I believe it's strictly against Uber rules.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh my god I've had drivers like you somebody shoot me I am an Uber customer as well as a driver and had people like you doing 25 in a 30 mile per hour Zone going 40 miles per hour in a 50 mile per hour Zone going 60 on the freeway God help me I'm getting nauseous I've had drivers like you refuse to drive me to the corner Market without an address telling me uber does not allow you to go anywhere without an address and had drivers like you not taking a tip because uber tells you not supposed to take tips please uninstall your uber and go flip Burgers have a good day don't uber on

Yes I purposely wrote this without any punctuation.. Guess so I could be as annoying as you are

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how things are anywhere else but in Oklahoma City the passenger puts in a pickup location and a destination Uber calculates the time and distance and all that and they take their cut and you get maybe two or three dollars.
Point A to point B
I am very kind to my passengers and my concern is to get them where they're going as quickly and safely as possible.
I talk to my passengers but I don't annoy the shit out of them.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't know how things are anywhere else but in Oklahoma City the passenger puts in a pickup location and a destination Uber calculates the time and distance and all that and they take their cut and you get maybe two or three dollars.
Point A to point B
I am very kind to my passengers and my concern is to get them where they're going as quickly and safely as possible.
I talk to my passengers but I don't annoy the shit out of them.
Uberpool that calculates point A to point B, uberX is totally distance and time, how long have you been driving..

·
Registered
76 Posts
in Oklahoma City the passenger puts in a pickup location and a destination Uber calculates the time and distance and all that and they take their cut
Uberpool that calculates point A to point B, uberX is totally distance and time, how long have you been driving..
Even for UBER/POOL driver compensation is calculated using time and distance a actually traveled not what is estimated based on a projected route. This is done to take into account things like roadwork detours, unexpected closures, etc....

To reiterate, passengers are always charged based on the estimated route.......drivers paid on actual time and distance. You will find this to be true in each and every U.S. market.

You can check this for yourself by resetting your trip odometer and starting a timer at the beginning of your next POOL trip. Upon completion of the entire trip, note the readings and do the math.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I tend to go a little over the speed limit. I've only had one pax ask me to speed so she wouldn't be late for work. I asked her what time she needed to be there. She told me and I told her that that's a half hour from now and we'll be there in ten minutes. I have no idea what her deal was.

As for the drive-thru goes I'll stop if the line isn't long or if no surge at the time. Most times they tip and or buy me food.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How about the one I had Monday who kept insisting that the guy sitting on my right quarter panel was "letting me in" when I wanted to make a lane change? And then freaking 4 starred me?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tend to go a little over the speed limit. I've only had one pax ask me to speed so she wouldn't be late for work. I asked her what time she needed to be there. She told me and I told her that that's a half hour from now and we'll be there in ten minutes. I have no idea what her deal was.

As for the drive-thru goes I'll stop if the line isn't long or if no surge at the time. Must times they tip and or buy me food.

As for the drive-thru goes I'll stop if the line isn't long or if no surge at the time. Must times they tip and or buy me food.
I used to work at the airport I never could understand why people show up about 10 minutes before their flight leaves and they're freaking out because they have to go through screening and they are afraid they're going to miss their flight. why don't they show up like a hour or two ahead of Time? why should I freak out because of their stupidity?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even for UBER/POOL driver compensation is calculated using time and distance a actually traveled not what is estimated based on a projected route. This is done to take into account things like roadwork detours, unexpected closures, etc....

To reiterate, passengers are always charged based on the estimated route.......drivers paid on actual time and distance. You will find this to be true in each and every U.S. market.

You can check this for yourself by resetting your trip odometer and starting a timer at the beginning of your next POOL trip. Upon completion of the entire trip, note the readings and do the math.
So if my passenger wants to stop for fast food I will be compensated?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I won't speed and I've gotten a ticket for going 5mph over on a regular street (not 25mph residential, but a 35mph zone), so cops can pull you over for going over the speed limit by any amount. Whether they will or not depends on them, but any amount over the speed limit is illegal and I won't do it. (I was in a 7 car pile up when I was 18 and I was caught in the middle--wasn't my fault, but don't take any driving risks). I don't go under the limit, but do ride the limit.

As for making stops, Uber and Lyft encourage you to do so. You are paid for it and you are wrong that it's violates a "contract." I will make a reasonable stop as long as I don't have to wait too long and I'll do drive-thru stops as long as they know they can't eat in my car. :)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts