• Take the risk?

Votes: 46 47.4%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’ve seen some commentary about it on here before but I wanted to make an official post about it to see what everyone has been doing regarding drunk passengers. Do you cancel the ride upon seeing their staggering demeanor? I was pretty afraid of wasting a few hundred bucks cleaning the car (I won't do it myself)

I’ve read other drivers recommend keeping a barf-bag handy to give to soon-to-be-sick riders as opposed to just cancelling the rides. I’ve heeded that advice and chose to pick up the Carebag Vomit Bag with Super Absorbent Pad from Amazon (ships & sold by Amazon with prime). They came with a super absorbent pad that converts vomit into a gel and traps the odors inside the bag as soon as you seal it.. I tested it with water and it seemed to work as described.

I’m interested hearing what everyone else has been doing!

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
After observing them approach the car and how they respond to my overly enthusiastic welcome statement, I ask if they are OK and have a frank conversation with them about how expensive it gets should they fail to ask me to pull over... during which I pay ZERO attention to the answers they slur and assess my chances based upon their body language and physical condition. Never a puker in thousands of rides.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I haven't had anyone vomit in my drunk pax adventures. Yesterday I got pinged to a location with some guy behind a line of cars that I couldn't see he was talking... than I see some guy pop up and try to help him figure out if I was his Uber driver. He left than the drunk guy came over and I asked him where he was going just to see how he was acting and he started getting loud at one point and at that time I just said I wasn't his driver... and he was to drunk to know if I was or not and left. If someone is aggressive/drunk they are not getting a ride.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
the decent money is in driving the drunks home from the bar. The rest of this is crap.
I used to try the Friday/Saturday night bar scene and found, for me at least, it was highly over-rated. The surge window just isn't that long. At best I'd get two surge rides. And they're generally short at that. If I were to drive just the bar scene my work week would be very short and not very profitable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to try the Friday/Saturday night bar scene and found, for me at least, it was highly over-rated. The surge window just isn't that long. At best I'd get two surge rides. And they're generally short at that. If I were to drive just the bar scene my work week would be very short and not very profitable.
What do you find the most profitable times to ride?

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
What do you find the most profitable times to ride?
The busiest times are between 4pm and 11pm most days. Weekends of course are busy later. I don't like to drive rush hour. So I'll usually go out for a few hours in the afternoon. Come home. Have dinner. Relax. Then head back out around 7pm or so.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ah yes... there is nothing quite like pulling up to one of the local college bars and seeing four college girls standing around one girl who is curled up in the fetal position on the ground.

The most sober one of the group - usually the one who ordered the ride - comes over to the car and says, "Lindsey will be fine, she's already gotten sick. She just had a little too much to drink."

Well, no sh*t! Lindsey has just found out that you can't eat a chicken Caesar salad and a piece of toast for dinner, then go to Hawaiian Luau night and drink eight Mai-Tai's without it kicking your ass!

So I help them get Lindsey in the car, give the sober one a bathroom trash can I have that has two plastic grocery bags in it (because I'd rather give the ol' heave-ho to a $2 trash can than clean puke off the leather upholstery), and tell her that if Lindsey pukes to be sure she pukes in the trash can, otherwise it's a $500 cleaning fee.

When they question the $500 cleaning fee, I tell them that it went up with the last rate increase from Uber, and if they don't want to pay it, give me their address and phone number and I'll be happy to show up at sunrise with cleaning supplies, coffee, and an Egg McMuffin (because if you're going to clean puke, there's nothing like coffee and an Egg McMuffin!).

This gives the sober one all the motivation she needs to insure that Lindsey doesn't puke in the car!

When we get to the destination, I help them get Lindsey out of the car, make sure they can all walk, and wait until I see them open the door and go inside before I end the trip and drive off.

No puking students so far (knock on wood), and I've received several gracious reviews and mediocre tips for helping the drunken girls get home safely.

:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends on the people. I watch them walk up to the car very carefully. If they're drunk, but coherent, I give them the ride no problem. If they start making noises I don't like or I feel like there's risk I have bags handy. If they can't stand up or walk or talk or otherwise seem waaaaayyyyy too intoxicated like they might get sick any second or if they say they already have then I'll cancel. I'm a little more tolerant when its a group and there's other people to take care of the drunkest one, but if its solo its a no-go (not to mention the liability and responsibility for if something happens to them in my car, like they pass out or have a medical issue besides just vomit or worse, it happens where I drop them off cause they can't even find their front door). I've only cancelled half a dozen honestly, and I mostly do bar runs Friday and Saturday nights and I have yet to *knock on wood* have anyone get sick in the car. Drunks can be fun, but blacked out ready to puke drunk is not worth a $7 ride. Groups usually do better making sure they all have an uneventful ride, like the last poster said. Plus single drunk girl riding alone is almost asking for trouble for a male driver (talking false accusations - I have a dashcam so less concern for me, but many drivers don't have one).

·
Registered
375 Posts
I tried to get a reading on them, I cancelled on a guy who could not walk straight with a bottle of vodka in his hand. He tried to get in and I was like, lol no spank you. You're going to have to find another driver.

Also I would not take people who are borderline unconscious who are placed in the car by other people and just left by themselves. I'm not a babysitter. find someone else.

I've had close calls but have managed to stop and pull off the road so people can puke. Never had one do it in my car. luckily.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ah yes... there is nothing quite like pulling up to one of the local college bars and seeing four college girls standing around one girl who is curled up in the fetal position on the ground.

The most sober one of the group - usually the one who ordered the ride - comes over to the car and says, "Lindsey will be fine, she's already gotten sick. She just had a little too much to drink."

Well, no sh*t! Lindsey has just found out that you can't eat a chicken Caesar salad and a piece of toast for dinner, then go to Hawaiian Luau night and drink eight Mai-Tai's without it kicking your ass!

So I help them get Lindsey in the car, give the sober one a bathroom trash can I have that has two plastic grocery bags in it (because I'd rather give the ol' heave-ho to a $2 trash can than clean puke off the leather upholstery), and tell her that if Lindsey pukes to be sure she pukes in the trash can, otherwise it's a $500 cleaning fee.

When they question the $500 cleaning fee, I tell them that it went up with the last rate increase from Uber, and if they don't want to pay it, give me their address and phone number and I'll be happy to show up at sunrise with cleaning supplies, coffee, and an Egg McMuffin (because if you're going to clean puke, there's nothing like coffee and an Egg McMuffin!).

This gives the sober one all the motivation she needs to insure that Lindsey doesn't puke in the car!

When we get to the destination, I help them get Lindsey out of the car, make sure they can all walk, and wait until I see them open the door and go inside before I end the trip and drive off.

No puking students so far (knock on wood), and I've received several gracious reviews and mediocre tips for helping the drunken girls get home safely.

:)
Well done, sir.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts