Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have Uber Fleet and a few cars with my drivers. The problem is that I can't look after them properly. I don't know whether the driver is using my car and gas for my money to perform rides from the company account, or he is just launching his own account every 3 rides (or even launching other rideshare app). I'm planning to increase the number of cars in the fleet and it's getting harder to look after such incidents. Are there any tips, maybe applications that can help with this ? Also, Uber for some reason doesn't provide API access right now, which makes things more complicated.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I am not familiar with Fleet. But I guess you could be manageable by getting reported in timely manner.
(1) Before a driver starting his shift, let him send you picture of starting odometer reading.
(2) After a driver ending his shift, let him send picture of ending odometer reading and screenshot of Uber Online miles, Uber Online hours, and how much he made for that day.
(3) Put them in an excel sheet daily.
(4) Calculate his earning per driven miles, Uber miles vs actual odometer reading miles. ( There should be allowable dead miles to go home from location of his last trip. ) Or you ask to send picture of odometer reading as soon as he ended his shift before he is going home.
(5) You can see your driver's patterns of driving.

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
Hi. I have Uber Fleet and a few cars with my drivers. The problem is that I can't look after them properly. I don't know whether the driver is using my car and gas for my money to perform rides from the company account, or he is just launching his own account every 3 rides (or even launching other rideshare app). I'm planning to increase the number of cars in the fleet and it's getting harder to look after such incidents. Are there any tips, maybe applications that can help with this ? Also, Uber for some reason doesn't provide API access right now, which makes things more complicated.
Pay me $10,000 per car, I will install surveillance on each car so you know where they are... then you just cross reference each trip you get with their track and voila, you know who is screwing you over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are your drivers your employees or do they pay you rent?

Do they keep the cars twenty-four hours or turn them in and pick them up every day?

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.
Cars are mine and they are online 24/7, just drivers are changing.

Pay me $10,000 per car, I will install surveillance on each car so you know where they are... then you just cross reference each trip you get with their track and voila, you know who is screwing you over.
Thank you, but I have already done it on every car for 95 dollars :)
The problem is I don't want to manually track every car every day

I am not familiar with Fleet. But I guess you could be manageable by getting reported in timely manner.
(1) Before a driver starting his shift, let him send you picture of starting odometer reading.
(2) After a driver ending his shift, let him send picture of ending odometer reading and screenshot of Uber Online miles, Uber Online hours, and how much he made for that day.
(4) Calculate his earning per driven miles, Uber miles vs actual odometer reading miles. ( There should be allowable dead miles to go home from location of his last trip. ) Or you ask to send picture of odometer reading as soon as he ended his shift before he is going home.
Thank you for the answer. I'm already doing that, but I need some kind of software to automate this.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts

Thank you, but I have already done it on every car for 95 dollars :smiles:
The problem is I don't want to manually track every car every day

Thank you for the answer. I'm already doing that, but I need some kind of software to automate this.
You know, every business requires human control.
The needs of your business is managing. No software can help you. You have to do it yourself or you hire someone to do it.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Try a big whip and
withholding pay until compliant

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Wildgoose has it about right.

Hard process to automate. You can dump the ride data into a spreadsheet, but I don't think trip miles are in there. You would have to extrapolate from the distance fee to extract trip miles. messy to automate but could be done.

Depending on your ethics, you could run a gambit to keep the drivers in line: First, establish a written policy that a driver will be instantly terminated if they use the car for other than allowed use. Inform the drivers that tech has been installed to enforce the policy. Wait a week or two, then fire your weakest driver for violation of the policy. That may keep the other drivers in line for a while.

Rinse and repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
How would they register Your vehicles on their "own account"?

Their names should neither be on the registration nor on the Corporate insurance (you do have these vehicles insured under an incorporation with appropriate fleet commercial use insurance right?).

Without that there is no way that driver has your vehicle with it's plate on the app.

·
Premium Member
12,382 Posts
Be careful.
Drivers got all pissed off because Uber tried to enforce some perfectly reasonable rules and got the gov't involved writing laws.
You could end up 'the new man' who is hated, reviled, vilified and (where the hell is my thesaurus?).

Just do like the rest of us and take the gov't cheese and smoke weed. Joe is here, he'll save us all.

·
26,248 Posts
Right..................but are the drivers your employees? Are you paying them by the hour? ..........are you taking a percentage of what they book or do they pay you rent?

Reactions: Wildgoose

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
[HEADING=2]How do you control your Uber Fleet drivers ?[/HEADING]

I hear these are pretty effective.

Font Pliers Slope Wire stripper Tool

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Right..................but are the drivers your employees? Are you paying them by the hour? ..........are you taking a percentage of what they book or do they pay you rent?
Uber Fleet only works in Ivory.
Drivers owns their accounts and needs to apply to get on line. Then they look for Fleet owner including job search.
Fleet owner makes money per trip and driver makes their share.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,297 Posts
Drivers owns their accounts and needs to apply to get on line. Then they look for Fleet owner including job search.
Fleet owner makes money per trip and driver makes their share.
I'm probably one of the few American based drivers to drive on a fleet account.

But I don't know all the answers either.

With the fleet I pay $X for a car. And then the company gets payments off the app and it gets credited towards what I owe the company.

If the OP is doing this as an employee/employer business model it complicates things greatly.

My advice is installing a security camera facing into the car. Then tell your drivers that you audit them and know when they are screwing around and not even trying to work.

Managing employees in the business is such a royal pain in the ass that i can't recommend it. An Independent contractor business model is a much better idea.

HOWEVER, you also don't want to just take % of the fare either, it becomes way too easy for the driver to run fares off books and screw you over. That's why a flat rate per day/week is a much better idea.

MY honest recommendation is somehow transition into a model where you collect a flat amount from each driver per day/shift for use of the car.

Then you can charge more on days of the week you know are going to be busy and less on slower days. I have no idea what the pricing point needs to be at for your market. Probably right around the amount you typically bring in on whatever your current business model is.

But before you make any changes you should consult an attorney/solicitor who has experience in employment law.

If each driver needs to come up with $75 a day for the use of the car the number of ways they can cheat disappears.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I'm probably one of the few American based drivers to drive on a fleet account.

But I don't know all the answers either.

With the fleet I pay $X for a car. And then the company gets payments off the app and it gets credited towards what I owe the company.

If the OP is doing this as an employee/employer business model it complicates things greatly.

My advice is installing a security camera facing into the car. Then tell your drivers that you audit them and know when they are screwing around and not even trying to work.

Managing employees in the business is such a royal pain in the ass that i can't recommend it. An Independent contractor business model is a much better idea.

HOWEVER, you also don't want to just take % of the fare either, it becomes way too easy for the driver to run fares off books and screw you over. That's why a flat rate per day/week is a much better idea.

MY honest recommendation is somehow transition into a model where you collect a flat amount from each driver per day/shift for use of the car.

Then you can charge more on days of the week you know are going to be busy and less on slower days. I have no idea what the pricing point needs to be at for your market. Probably right around the amount you typically bring in on whatever your current business model is.

But before you make any changes you should consult an attorney/solicitor who has experience in employment law.

If each driver needs to come up with $75 a day for the use of the car the number of ways they can cheat disappears.
I guess you are going through rental. Fleet is not employer and employees model. They share their fares. Fleet owner gets fares for each trip but seems needing to provide gas. That is why this OP doesn't want his drivers skip fleet and driving on their own for their benefits.

·
26,248 Posts

This is how the cab companies here have done it since before I had a hack licence. You pay a flat fee per day or week for the car. The owner of the vehicle gets his, regardless of what you make. The driver pays for the gasolene. Some fleet owners figure the cost of the insurance into the rent, some make the driver pay it separately. Repairs are the owner's responsibility.

In the city, they rent only by the week. In suburbs, you can rent by the day, week, shift or even for a few hours.

Original Poster's profile indicates that he is from Poland, not Côte d'Ivoire.

·
Premium Member
12,382 Posts
This is how the cab companies here have done it since before I had a hack licence. You pay a flat fee per day or week for the car. The owner of the vehicle gets his, regardless of what you make. The driver pays for the gasolene. Some fleet owners figure the cost of the insurance into the rent, some make the driver pay it separately. Repairs are the owner's responsibility.
Exactly right. They don't do that now?
I drove in San Francisco for Yellow. I 'leased' my car 8 pm to 8 am Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun. Each 12 hour shift cost $120. Pick the car up full of gas, drop it off at the barn full of gas.
I kept everything I booked.
Oh, I also paid a 'fee' for dispatch. More like a 'tip', but it really wasn't optional ... and it wasn't much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts