Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go by my middle name, which is what I prefer to be called; however, I am unable to edit that info within the app. How can I get that changed?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Awesome. Thanks. I actually asked support if this could be change when I first signed up as a driver and was told that it wasn't possible that only the legal name was allowed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Thanks. I actually asked support if this could be change when I first signed up as a driver and was told that it wasn't possible that only the legal name was allowed.
Apparently, that is partly true! This is the email reply I got from Uber just now. However, I'm having them change it back because having BOTH of my names showing up for riders is even worse than the first one. I can't imagine why this is so hard to do for a company that's making money hand over fist. I am bummed out over this.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Apparently, that is partly true! This is the email reply I got from Uber just now. However, I'm having them change it back because having BOTH of my names showing up for riders is even worse than the first one. I can't imagine why this is so hard to do for a company that's making money hand over fist. I am bummed out over this.
Just tell them you only want your middle name...

They did this to me, Bill (William)
I wrote back and asked them to make it just Bill....

Now, it is just Bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just tell them you only want your middle name...

They did this to me, Bill (William)
I wrote back and asked them to make it just Bill....

Now, it is just Bill.
I did. They said they have to keep a "record" of my "legal name (first name)," thus the parentheses. They've changed it back already.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I did. They said they have to keep a "record" of my "legal name (first name)," thus the parentheses. They've changed it back already.
Yes, they told me that too...

I told them I only wanted the riders to see Bill.

Try again later or tomorrow. You'll get different results from each person that answers... someone will get it done for you

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I go by my middle name, which is what I prefer to be called; however, I am unable to edit that info within the app. How can I get that changed?
I remember before if you logged via a laptop or desktop you were able to go in a edit your profile along with changing you name which I did but then they removed that feature...

The second time I had to send them a email and they will use a nickname if you want. If one rep says no try again.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I remember before if you logged via a laptop or desktop you were able to go in a edit your profile along with changing you name which I did but then they removed that feature...

The second time I had to send them a email and they will use a nickname if you want. If one rep says no try again.
Yeah.. I think I had to try 2 or 3 times.

The first time it showed Bill (William)

I then told them for safety I need it just to show Bill.

Font Screenshot Science Technology Astronomical object

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
My screen does not show that nickname option
They don't have it on our end of the user interface you must email them and as Bill said just say you are concerned about your privacy and safety and wish to use a nickname instead riders Always use nicknames so you can too just email them...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had to switch to my nickname several times now, it seems that every time I upload a document (new DL, or new insurance card) they switch back to my legal name and I have to email them to change it to my nickname.

I had took a ride the other day as a passenger and my driver's name was "The Uber Dude", no real name in parenthesis or anything. I thought it was weird that they let him use that. I might try switching mine to "Tips Please" ;)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yep, I got the same thing GoGo Girl. I have replied asking them to change it as it is confusing to the rider. Waiting for a response. I just want that legal first name gone as it makes me sad every time I hear it. The only one that ever called me that was my Mother when she was mad at me.

And here is Uber's great reply. Apparently, their programmers are too lazy to create a display name field as well as the legal name field in the database.

Must be a LOT of work to create a new field in a database. Maybe I can help.
ALTER TABLE driver_info
ADD display_name text

Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I go by my middle name, which is what I prefer to be called; ...
Much depends on your middle name. Do not change if your middle name is anything like:
  • Killer or Blackmailer
  • Car Wreck or Accident
  • non-violent Criminal
  • Predator, bloodsucker, buzzard, harpy, kite, shark, vampire, vulture, B*tch, etc.
  • Psycho, lunatic, crazy, insane, etc.
  • Your next wife

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I got the same thing GoGo Girl. I have replied asking them to change it as it is confusing to the rider. Waiting for a response. I just want that legal first name gone as it makes me sad every time I hear it. The only one that ever called me that was my Mother when she was mad at me.

And here is Uber's great reply. Apparently, their programmers are too lazy to create a display name field as well as the legal name field in the database.

Must be a LOT of work to create a new field in a database. Maybe I can help.
ALTER TABLE driver_info
ADD display_name text

View attachment 103080
Funny thing, that is ... because it wasn't UNTIL I requested they change it to my middle name that they even KNEW what my middle INITIAL was, much less the "full Legal name." It's a bit absurd to suggest they don't already know what my first name is (since all my billing and legal mumbo jumbo is under that first name ... so it just doesn't settle with me that simply showing my middle name to riders is causing such a turmoil with Uber. They need to make it happen!

Funny thing, that is ... because it wasn't UNTIL I requested they change it to my middle name that they even KNEW what my middle INITIAL was, much less the "full Legal name." It's a bit absurd to suggest they don't already know what my first name is (since all my billing and legal mumbo jumbo is under that first name ... so it just doesn't settle with me that simply showing my middle name to riders is causing such a turmoil with Uber. They need to make it happen!
BTW: your backwards UserName ... brilliant. LOL!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts