Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was sorrounded by red and yellow on the map, yet I did not get one ping. There were not a lot of drivers in the area. I thought the point of surge was there was more demand than drivers. It rarely if ever surges by me so I was surprised.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
How can there be surge when there are cars all over the area? I guess SOMEONE had to come up with the cash to cover the payouts for the July 4th weekend guarantee.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I hate when the map is lit up and I get no pings but what really sends me over the top is when an area is lit up for a long time, I get pinged from that area and the ride is no surge.

I'm not really sure how that happens but was sitting in a 4.4 area before I got pinged, saw the ping had no surge, looked at rider app and there still was 4.4 for 15-30 minutes after the no surge ping. I did not take the ping. I looked back at driver app and it also showed 4.4.

So I figured maybe the ping showing no surge was wrong. I took the next ping and followed through for a short ride. The ride had no surge. After drop off, both rider and driver app still showed 4.4. I called it a night with uber and just drove Lyft after that. You get a lot of rides on Lyft when rider app shows surge, whether it is real or not.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
One the most misconception about surge is that when it’s surging you are going to get a request. No.

All it means is that there are more pax apps open then driver. That’s it.

Not guarantee but when it’s closing time, raining, airports, or events and it’s surging. You will probably get a request. Also, Friday and Saturday early evening.

But again there is no guarantee.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Uber's surge areas can cover a lot of territory...you need to be on top of an area that is getting the requests or no cars available. If you are catching a down surge then its probably all over... I see an area surge 1.5x, 2.1x, 2.8x, all the way up to 4.5x and you will get rides...but as soon as it drops (for about 20 minutes) you won't get rides because you can see on the rider app that there are a lot of cars. At this point the surge capped out and now dropping off. So the game is to try to catch rides as the surge is building...complete the ride and get back there for another one at a higher rate before it peaks. Patterns develop in areas at certain times. Surges are almost predictable. Some times Uber does a "fake surge" to get cars into an area. You can tell its fake when you see a surge increasing but there are cars in the surge area. So to confirm it is a real surge you want to go to the rider app and make sure no cars are available or as cars become available they are disappearing pretty quickly. When I see an area surging, I usually go offline and wait for it to build and then go online and accept a ride. Why work for 1.5 when you know in 10 more minutes it is going to be 2.8. Uber increases the surge rate every 5 minutes and then you usually have to wait another minute or two before the new rate is in everyone's requests.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
how do you know if you are receiving a ping that has surge? do you NOT know until you get earnings estimate upon trip completion?
It will tell you at the bottom of the ping if it is a surge price, for example 2.7x or you can go into the waybill and see what the rates are, it will tell you the pickup rate, mileage and minute rate, naturally anything over 85 cents a mile you can see as surge for non shore area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It will tell you at the bottom of the ping if it is a surge price, for example 2.7x or you can go into the waybill and see what the rates are, it will tell you the pickup rate, mileage and minute rate, naturally anything over 85 cents a mile you can see as surge for non shore area.
thanks very much. looking forward to my first one

1,528 Posts
Last night I was sorrounded by red and yellow on the map, yet I did not get one ping. There were not a lot of drivers in the area. I thought the point of surge was there was more demand than drivers. It rarely if ever surges by me so I was surprised.
because Uber tells the pax to wait 10 minutes and the surge will end..Stupid Uber..And not to tip!
what is this? Taxis always get tips..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nothing after my post that I did not know. But here is the issue: If you get pinged from within an area that is surging before, during and after the ping, the ride should be a surge multiple. Yet, on numerous occasions I have gotten no surge pings. Make no mistake, the ping is from a surge area. Not close to a surge area. Not from an area that had surge and now does not. There should be no way to get a no surge ping from this area yet I am getting it. Uber is definitely playing games. There can be no other explanation.

1,528 Posts
Nothing after my post that I did not know. But here is the issue: If you get pinged from within an area that is surging before, during and after the ping, the ride should be a surge multiple. Yet, on numerous occasions I have gotten no surge pings. Make no mistake, the ping is from a surge area. Not close to a surge area. Not from an area that had surge and now does not. There should be no way to get a no surge ping from this area yet I am getting it. Uber is definitely playing games. There can be no other explanation.
i agree

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The surge system is flawed in that it's based on requests but does not measure when requests can't be made because there are no uber drivers available. Last night I was the lone driver in a particular area that had a lot of people needing rides but no surge because the only actual requests that were made were by people who had the luck of looking for a ride at the moment I was close enough to being done with my previous ride abd all my pax were surprised they got me because no one else was able to find a ride.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hi Kelly,

You haven't been accepting many rides lately. When you receive a trip request, we've matched you with a rider that's close by. If you pass on those trips, ETAs increase for other drivers and wait times go up for riders. And you miss out on a nearby fare.

The more trip requests you accept, the more you'll earn.

If you don't want to accept trips, just press "go offline." We'll be able to match riders more quickly, and drivers in the area will earn more.

Learn more about how we calculate acceptance rates here.

Best,
Uber

I ignored pools and non surge rides, they are trying to crack down on drivers that are on to them with the ceaspool jobs and non surge.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Hi Kelly,

You haven't been accepting many rides lately. When you receive a trip request, we've matched you with a rider that's close by. If you pass on those trips, ETAs increase for other drivers and wait times go up for riders. And you miss out on a nearby fare.

The more trip requests you accept, the more you'll earn.

If you don't want to accept trips, just press "go offline." We'll be able to match riders more quickly, and drivers in the area will earn more.

Learn more about how we calculate acceptance rates here.

Best,
Uber

I ignored pools and non surge rides, they are trying to crack down on drivers that are on to them with the ceaspool jobs and non surge.
That is code for...

Hey Intelligent UBER partner,
We've noticed you're smart enough not to accept pools. If you don't accept pools we can't screw you even more then we already do. We need you to accept these pool rides so we can make a killing on every passenger you pick up while paying you peanuts. We hope there aren't many more like you. Our business model will suffer if you continue to do intelligent things like this. Please put on your dunce cap and dumb it down for us....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts