Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spring of 2016 I was part of a group that tried to organize drivers. If ever see someone mention 'herding cats' you know why we failed.
Now 16 months later I really wonder if we failed. The Chicago ordinance that threatened us all the passed in a meaningless watered down version. Riders are able to tip in app. We're alerted to long rides. We can use the destination filter 6 times a day.
Our biggest problem in organizing in spring of 2016 was that Uber offered guarantees in the $25-$40/hr range. We had fun with a couple of events but with the turnover it really is herding cats.
This job is what you make of it. If you know when and where to drive you can make good money. If you're willing to accept a little less and be productive in other parts of your life in dead time it's also great. I'd say Uber did a good job addressing the quality of life issues that a nonprofit trade organization (it would be illegal for trade organization to pursue wages) could address.
As to those of you that criticize this forum as a bunch of negativitiy I hope this post makes you reconsider. While I am hesitant to post my advice openly online for all the lurkers, I have no problem if DuPage drivers pm me for advice.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
The problem with Uber/Lyft continues to be advertizing for riders vs. advertizing for drivers. I hear at least 20 advertisements for drivers as I do for riders. Why does my mother need to drive down from Milwaukee just to get my grandmother to the doctor mid-day in Downers Grove. Too bad there's not a commercial for that. Just a commercial for "get your side hustle on". Morons.

·
Registered
705 Posts
In spring of 2016 I was part of a group that tried to organize drivers. If ever see someone mention 'herding cats) you know why we failed.
Now 16 months later I really wonder if we failed. The Chicago ordinance that threatened us all the passed in a meaningless watered down version. Riders are able to tip in app. We're alerted to long rides. We can use the destination filter 6 times a day.
Our biggest problem in organizing in spring of 2016 was that Uber offered guarantees in the $25-$40/hr range. We had fun with a couple of events but with the turnover it really is herding cats.
This job is what you make of it. If you know when and where to drive you can make good money. If you're willing to accept a little less and be productive in other parts of your life in dead time it's also great. I'd say Uber did a good job addressing the quality of life issues that a nonprofit trade organization (it would be illegal for trade organization to pursue wages) could address.
As to those of you that criticize this forum as a bunch of negativitiy I hope this post makes you reconsider. While I am hesitant to post my advice openly online for all the lurkers, I have no problem if DuPage drivers pm me for advice.
I can't tell you how thankful I am for this site. Without it, and all of the veterans that do throw a bone out once in a while, have been very instrumental in my "career,":rolleyes: a:D

Uber helped me out of a very very bad situation last year, but the flip side to that is my home life suffered a bit....no...actually a lot. I became Uber's b!tch. Uber has a very manipulative way about them, and reading this site was critical in being able to cut through the crap cake. I encourage every single person on this site to read here. Every day. F*ck FB. Turn it off and learn something. Sometimes it's information to help me work smarter, not harder. If my schedule allows, I put the information to very good use. If the information gets me home to share dinner with my family, it was worthwhile, and I feel I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you fine people for taking the time to write it. I'd rather spend time reading on here and learning a new strategy, than getting stuck 70 miles south of my home on a Sunday afternoon, just because I was afraid to say "no" to a ridiculous trip from some real a$$hole people.

The efforts on organizing? Well....I'm afraid we don't live in that world anymore. We live in the class-action world. Uber gets sued and you end up with a few crumbs for your fruitless Pool efforts, and the attorneys win millions.

Uber fits my needs. I like the hustle. I like people (mostly) and I'm in control, at least for the most part. This site, I believe, is the reason we have the changes that we've seen so far. I like them a lot. Is it enough...no. Not by a long shot, but it's a work in progress.

Update: Jesus Christ, I just got 20 trips for $110 weekday. Nice, huh? I killed the app for the week to resist the temptation. Wanna know why? Because every GOD DAMN time I turn it on, it's a hassle for weekday work for where I live. BECAUSE WE DON'T advertise for riders, just like Lakersfan said!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with Uber/Lyft continues to be advertizing for riders vs. advertizing for drivers. I hear at least 20 advertisements for drivers as I do for riders. Why does my mother need to drive down from Milwaukee just to get my grandmother to the doctor mid-day in Downers Grove. Too bad there's not a commercial for that. Just a commercial for "get your side hustle on". Morons.
Totally agree. My Dad does the same thing with my 96 yr old grandma. The inconsistencies of drivers prevent him from ordering uber. The best thing someone can do is in that situation is test that says 'be patient, I tip'.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Today I had to complete 6 trips for the insensitive. I swear,my youngest rider was in mid 70ies. All rides were long hauls along the NW shore,like Wilmette to Lake Bluff. All old fellas ordered rides by themselves. Mostly visiting families.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I can't tell you how thankful I am for this site. Without it, and all of the veterans that do throw a bone out once in a while, have been very instrumental in my "career,":rolleyes: a:D

Uber helped me out of a very very bad situation last year, but the flip side to that is my home life suffered a bit....no...actually a lot. I became Uber's b!tch. Uber has a very manipulative way about them, and reading this site was critical in being able to cut through the crap cake. I encourage every single person on this site to read here. Every day. F*ck FB. Turn it off and learn something. Sometimes it's information to help me work smarter, not harder. If my schedule allows, I put the information to very good use. If the information gets me home to share dinner with my family, it was worthwhile, and I feel I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you fine people for taking the time to write it. I'd rather spend time reading on here and learning a new strategy, than getting stuck 70 miles south of my home on a Sunday afternoon, just because I was afraid to say "no" to a ridiculous trip from some real a$$hole people.

The efforts on organizing? Well....I'm afraid we don't live in that world anymore. We live in the class-action world. Uber gets sued and you end up with a few crumbs for your fruitless Pool efforts, and the attorneys win millions.

Uber fits my needs. I like the hustle. I like people (mostly) and I'm in control, at least for the most part. This site, I believe, is the reason we have the changes that we've seen so far. I like them a lot. Is it enough...no. Not by a long shot, but it's a work in progress.

Update: Jesus Christ, I just got 20 trips for $110 weekday. Nice, huh? I killed the app for the week to resist the temptation. Wanna know why? Because every GOD DAMN time I turn it on, it's a hassle for weekday work for where I live. BECAUSE WE DON'T advertise for riders, just like Lakersfan said!
Too bad.

That's easy money in the city. I'd be all over that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If Uber has any cares for their drivers right now, they should have some way to inform pax of a temporarily fuel surcharge due to Hurricane Harvey forcing the closing of 11 refineries off the Texas coast and then passing that surcharge over to it's drivers. (Or temp base rate increase)

It's estimated increase at the pump is going to be 0.25 to 0.40 per gallon for a couple months.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In spring of 2016 I was part of a group that tried to organize drivers. If ever see someone mention 'herding cats' you know why we failed.
Small changes, I would gladly drive for Uber if their rate would be above 1.60$/mile and a $3 base fare, but for $0.90/mile to drive and trash my own car, no thank you. Ill keep driving someone else's car for $2.25/mile and $3.25 base + $ for additional passengers and extra charge for long rides. I'm working less and making more.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im boicotting Uber, in spite of the little changes they make to improve drivers experience. It just not enough to compromise after the upfront pricing structure kicked in. Splitting fares 50/50 is more often rather than not. The way the app is designed to work, driver never can be certain to complete the quest. Yet, Uber wonders, why am I not driving ?
I still think they should just charge the riders per minute only without distance. Drivers love to know what they can make an hour and if it can be steady. 55-65 cents per minute could solve all the issues. You sit in traffic or flying on the highway, you always know you're making $30/hour. There would be no need for surge neither incentives.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
As far as I understand the 180 days helped Uber only , Uber and Lyft struggled to make drivers pickup regular fare cheap rates, after the 180 day change
Uber wins , Lyft follows Uber as always and look what happened everybody picking up
Regular cheap rate .
Now all they have to do is seat behind
The keyboard and collect while we
Will be behind the wheel and make
Them collect , it is just amazing .

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Without this site and some deep reading, I would have flown blind after I jumped into the proverbial Uber "pool". The invaluable advice found throughout this forum, from the City subforum, to the main page is a wealth of knowledge and advice on how to make this gig work for you; not you being a slave to Uber or Lyft.

Reading the thread the other day where someone trashed members and berated in many ways the fact that Vet's, and those who contribute hold close to their vest many of hard gained tactics and strategy was disappointing in many ways. Most come here to vent or just be plain social and that is expected, BUT if you put in the time and effort you have a wealth of information on this site to make this thing work for you.

To that end I personally thank all of the Vet's for their willingness to put out nuggets that has been a help for so many of us.

PizzaGuy I run Dupage and Northwest Cook primarily and will contact you soon. Thank you for all your efforts past and present in wanting to attempt to make this gig more advantageous to us drivers.

As for the changes; No corporation does things that are not in their best interest and Uber is no exception! Some of the changes have been in the right direction for sure, but there are bugs in this as well. Like this morning on DF it sent me a request 20 minutes in the opposite direction and that wasn't the first time it has done it. Also as mentioned on a few threads the button to not accept at the top left, when pressed for not wanting the ride dings you on your acceptance ratings. You shouldn't be dinged for not wanting to drive 15 minutes for a pool ride!

One change that I was hoping for was something along the lines of preference of areas that the driver would primarily want to operate in.. sure we get flung all over the place, but having a primary area as first choice would have been a nice feature. Especially at the rush hours.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
So would I. Problem is I pile on miles and can't get a ride back.

It's a game with them. They throw monster incentive weekday knowing I don't drive, then follow up with weekend quest that aren't typically worth chasing.
Same here. When I did get that 20 for 110 a few weeks back I took a day off and drove longer after the day job to get it.. I couldn't let that one pass me by after the crappy ones they throw at me each week.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same here. When I did get that 20 for 110 a few weeks back I took a day off and drove longer after the day job to get it.. I couldn't let that one pass me by after the crappy ones they throw at me each week.
That's right, you have days to burn up. Sorry I haven't responded to the PM. I could do some double dipping with time off, but afraid of wasting my time running hamburgers downtown and not finishing. Last time it took me 3 days to fit it in and all it did was piss me off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks pizza guy. You've been a guiding light on this forum. However, I think the recent changes have been inconsequential for me. Nice tweaks around the edges of the real issues. There was a honeymoon with in-app tipping but that evaporated quickly. The single best thing they've done since I started driving was rolling out the DF and that was obviously way before the recent changes. I really don't need six of them for my schedule. Two has generally been enough.

I give Uber props for the fare transparency but it is a total mind **** for drivers. My solution has been to split trips between Uber and Lyft. This has resulted in Uber slowly increasing my Quest promotion (finally chased the Quest this past weekend for the first time in two months).

Did two good, long trips on Lyft this morning for $50. Two shorties on Uber while on DF back home. I made $10 on the two Uber trips that chewed up at least 45 minutes of my morning. They made over $8.

My one major beef remains that they don't reward any longevity, quality, etc in the drivers. All their focus is on the churn and incenting newbies.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Why pay advertisement for riders when u get it free from word of mouth.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's right, you have days to burn up. Sorry I haven't responded to the PM. I could do some double dipping with time off, but afraid of wasting my time running hamburgers downtown and not finishing. Last time it took me 3 days to fit it in and all it did was piss me off.
I have 2 separate accounts. One for delivery and one for PAX, so I can keep that possibility down to Zero since the advent of McDelivery I haven't signed on to delivery once.
Those days are just about all burned up and have them notice this morning... they are hurting for help but they destroyed that place over the last 9 years and you can't even get recent driving school grads to stay... it's a shame really... shoot me a PM when you have a chance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts