Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we were talking about the possibility of moving to permits with the city, and just to see what would happen when visiting family, turned my app on with no intentions to drive, and got a message stating I was not authorized to drive there. That would certainly reduce drivers here! Maybe it would be a good thing...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Regulations similar to what Houston jas implemented are coming. It's inevitable. The question for drivers then becomes how willimg are you to actually get commercial insurance, submit to twice annual inspections, purchase a local business license, and pay a fee to be able to make airport pick ups. City regulations will adherently reduce the number of drivers substantially.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Hell to the no! :eek:
No, not for $1.10 per mile. $1.50-2.00 would make regulatory compliance more palatable. Without the city putting handcuffs on Uber's ability to sign on anyone with a pulse and lie to them, and have them lie to their insurance companies, we will continue to see lowered rates.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Regulations similar to what Houston jas implemented are coming. It's inevitable. The question for drivers then becomes how willimg are you to actually get commercial insurance, submit to twice annual inspections, purchase a local business license, and pay a fee to be able to make airport pick ups. City regulations will adherently reduce the number of drivers substantially.
I agree. No one really has a dog in the fight. Not really. Especially not Uber!
Aside from the glaring unfairness of the current "pilot "phase, long term, it will help deter the "wild wild West " atmosphere during busy events, which Will benefit everyone. Like I said in a previous thread, there is really no way to do a progressive fee based on what a driver "says" he/she will do, so really only a tax would accomplish that, but at what cost? We have tossed around the idea of proposing the fee be based on vehicle value, as that would come closer to tying to revenue "potential". I suppose a 1099 could be used, but the city does not have the infrastructure to handle that kind of sensitive data. Either way, I do believe it is inevitable that the TNC's will be paying for permits in the city within the year. Uber has overplayed their hand. The city does not trust them to pay per ride as it is. They may have to increase their liability for phase 1, a lot of talk has going on about that. 100,000 is pretty low for commercial.

·
Banned
276 Posts
No, not for $1.10 per mile. $1.50-2.00 would make regulatory compliance more palatable. Without the city putting handcuffs on Uber's ability to sign on anyone with a pulse and lie to them, and have them lie to their insurance companies, we will continue to see lowered rates.
First, it will eliminate 40 -50% of the drivers in my estimation. Second, yeah it would have to be a significant increase per mile plus a bunch of other guarantees like minimum fares, automatic airport fees, etc. If they are going to make us act like cabs then we damn well better be charging like cabs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uber charges too much for their fees. Pisses me off so much that they take $20 for every $100 we bust our tail for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Uber charges too much for their fees. Pisses me off so much that they take $20 for every $100 we bust our tail for.
How much are we REALLY busting our tails here? Not like there is any physical labor involved. You sit back and press a pedal, a brake, and steer. And you expect to make more? Idk.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
How much are we REALLY busting our tails here? Not like there is any physical labor involved. You sit back and press a pedal, a brake, and steer. And you expect to make more? Idk.
We take on ALL of the liability, depreciation, care and maintenance, fuel costs and customer service. Not only that, driving is much more physically demanding than one might realize. You have to stay alert, being seated in a car for long periods of time is bad for your back and your circulation.
Uber's cut should be about 5%.
You probably think your personal insurance shouldn't be notified about doing ridesharing, either, because Uber told you they have your back 100%. The only thing they have on your back is their footprints.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We take on ALL of the liability, depreciation, care and maintenance, fuel costs and customer service. Not only that, driving is much more physically demanding than one might realize. You have to stay alert, being seated in a car for long periods of time is bad for your back and your circulation.
Uber's cut should be about 5%.
You probably think your personal insurance shouldn't be notified about doing ridesharing, either, because Uber told you they have your back 100%. The only thing they have on your back is their footprints.
Ah I guess if you look at it like that it makes sense. Good points ATX. I always try to think in my head that it's better than being home when the first job lets out. If you do this full time, eventually the money boat will sink. If you do it on the side when you feel like it then it doesn't seem like much work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about you.. But risking my life with people who are out drinking and driving (cause not every Austinite is smart enough to take an uber) is causation enough to want more pay. If I die driving for Uber, cause some ****** hits my car.. Will uber take any responsibility? No. They won't even send flowers to my daughter.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Ah I guess if you look at it like that it makes sense. Good points ATX. I always try to think in my head that it's better than being home when the first job lets out. If you do this full time, eventually the money boat will sink. If you do it on the side when you feel like it then it doesn't seem like much work.
Keep in mind: The "hobbyist" part time drivers must be the exception, not the rule. Uber cannot hold a significant market share relying on random part time labor.

·
Banned
276 Posts
It's actually a lot more than 20% once you factor in the $1.10 pickup fee that goes straight to them. So more like 30-40% depending on the length of the ride. And for a company who claims to be a poor, stupid technology App company and nothing more (certainly not a transportation company!) this is a really high recurring rate to be making for your lowly app. The problem is that it's like the regressive taxation problems we face across the country. If the ride rates were higher and everyone was sharing in the wealth then their percentage wouldn't be that big of a deal. But once rates sink too low then the disadvantage shifts to the people who have the most at risk....Drivers.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Houston doesn't require the commercial license, just the TNC. We don't get 2 inspections a year. The permit is good for 2 years. The airport permit costs $0. I wasn't even charged for the TNC license but it's only $11. Unfortunately, I don't believe these requirements have reduced the # of drivers at all...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts