Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of us have met monthly. I invite all of you to a lunch meeting tomorrow at the

Jack n the Box
Washington & N Shepherd
11:00am

Tomorrow afternoon there will be a conference call between 10 team leaders from around the country. Does anyone wish to represent Houston? Is anyone willing to protest on Oct 16 at 3pm outside Uber headquarters?

I have flyers that could be used to hand out on campuses or posted at Starbucks.

Let's get our ideas on the table for a representation of what Houston drivers want. From there another flyer could be made.

Jack n the Box
N Shepherd & Washington
11:00am Oct 1 (today)

Come if you can.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
But October 1st was yesterday. It says you posted this at 2am today Oct 2nd. Which very few will see by 11am.

Thought Houston had a leader. Who told that college guy to be on TV the other night? I am sure it wasn't just a random guy. Someone had to call Channel 11 and get a daytime driver since it was filmed in the daytime then shown at 10pm.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Several of us have met monthly. I invite all of you to a lunch meeting tomorrow at the

Jack n the Box
Washington & N Shepherd
11:00am

Tomorrow afternoon there will be a conference call between 10 team leaders from around the country. Does anyone wish to represent Houston? Is anyone willing to protest on Oct 16 at 3pm outside Uber headquarters?

I have flyers that could be used to hand out on campuses or posted at Starbucks.

Let's get our ideas on the table for a representation of what Houston drivers want. From there another flyer could be made.

Jack n the Box
N Shepherd & Washington
11:00am Oct 1 (today)

Come if you can.
Just for safe keeping. 9hr notice. Really! Wow!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH HUSH! :p

I first posted on Wednesday, and again last night.

Will be on conference call in 10 min. Talk later.

UNS ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Most have us day jobs and work Monday to Friday. I dont object to the idea but a Friday at 11am the only people who could go would be the former cabbies driving uber full time. They aren't on this board.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
tripAces said:
Thought Houston had a leader. Who told that college guy to be on TV the other night?
If there is a "leader" that person has yet to reveal himself to everyone in the Houston community. I have not idea who the Uber driver was on TV. He is part of the FB Uber Houston group, I believe.

No meeting time & date will please everyone.
I hoped that anyone who was available would come to the meeting.

Please let me know when and if Houston establishes a group and steering committee of some sort.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So can someone who did attend the meeting share what was discussed? I had a job interview but otherwise would have been able to make it.

I don't think there is a Houston leader nor a national leader. This is meant to be collective but it wouldn't hurt to choose a representative. Maybe a few drivers from each area can meet in their area then one person can attend the monthly meeting as a representative. I volunteer to help organize Humble/IAH area drivers. Then out of those one person can represent Houston area drivers. I think that people still want to stay anonymous AND be heard. Someone has to sacrifice anonymity to get their voice heard.

We do need to take the pulse- kind of like an employee sounding board.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was the only one physically at the meeting. I spoke w/ a rep out of Dallas about revisions to The flyer I had put online.

We both agreed that the general public needs to know before Oct 15. They just need to need to know generic reasons (i.e. better rates).

Flyers need to be posted at Starbucks stores. There is one aimed at the public. Check with the manager as the community board is for "things going on in the community." Chi1cabby listed four posters that can be used.

Download your #UberSTRIKE Posters & Flyers here:

Uber Strike Flyer Downloads

There was a conference call with 4 city "reps" participating. The main talk was how Raleigh-Durham has set up a website to make false requests. I do not agree drivers should interfere with another driver's decision to work that weekend.

I can sacrifice my privacy. I will not drive actively on the Uber app until I find commercial insurance. In the meantime I can help with the work stoppage.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have worked hard to get my area as busy as it is. Me and a friend have given out over 1k first time rider cards. It is just now staying pretty steady especially wknds. For the drivers we have driving. Any more and I am back to being a jobber. I won't say the area but is in suburb.

Its easy for the pax to side with Uber to stop using Uber so much over rates.

The pulse of Uber is the City of Houston downtown/midtown. And the focus should be there. 95% of drivers are there if not more.

All I am saying is hope this is to talk to drivers not to pax. Don't mess with pax (ie posting at Starbucks) they will think twice about using Uber especially in the Burbs.

Hope you all are able to take responsiblity if this all backfires. Hope it doesn't but it looks bad as greedy drivers. Uber has done good to sell the business model as a way to cut down drunk driving. 20% in Houston already. Cheap ready at a pings notice to get you home safely. All the other business ie airport etc is a win win.

As I have said before in other threads Houston is about Driver Saturation more then rate of mileage. Less drivers more chances to make more and less sitting waiting on a ping.

Yes UberNorth I am the voice of reason.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I have worked hard to get my area as busy as it is. Me and a friend have given out over 1k first time rider cards. It is just now staying pretty steady especially wknds. For the drivers we have driving. Any more and I am back to being a jobber. I won't say the area but is in suburb.

Its easy for the pax to side with Uber to stop using Uber so much over rates.

The pulse of Uber is the City of Houston downtown/midtown. And the focus should be there. 95% of drivers are there if not more.

All I am saying is hope this is to talk to drivers not to pax. Don't mess with pax (ie posting at Starbucks) they will think twice about using Uber especially in the Burbs.

Hope you all are able to take responsiblity if this all backfires. Hope it doesn't but it looks bad as greedy drivers. Uber has done good to sell the business model as a way to cut down drunk driving. 20% in Houston already. Cheap ready at a pings notice to get you home safely. All the other business ie airport etc is a win win.

As I have said before in other threads Houston is about Driver Saturation more then rate of mileage. Less drivers more chances to make more and less sitting waiting on a ping.

Yes UberNorth I am the voice of reason.
For Uber to be successful for drivers, it takes a lot more than being busy. That helps, but if you're making $3.20 before expenses and spending 30 minutes to achieve that, I think there's room to protest this model. Min fare should be $10-$15. Riders should be educated to order only when they're ready. They should have 3 minutes to be ready or we can charge a no-show fee. These passengers are being spoiled. Why spoil them when 1) you can't afford to and 2) just why? humans are annoying as is, even without spoiling them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
For Uber to be successful for drivers, it takes a lot more than being busy. That helps, but if you're making $3.20 before expenses and spending 30 minutes to achieve that, I think there's room to protest this model. Min fare should be $10-$15. Riders should be educated to order only when they're ready. They should have 3 minutes to be ready or we can charge a no-show fee. These passengers are being spoiled. Why spoil them when 1) you can't afford to and 2) just why? humans are annoying as is, even without spoiling them.
I don't know if I can take you seriously on those min rates and wait time. Brings to mind Yellow Cab.
If you are serious how many miles I get for min over the top fare?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
itsablackmarket

These are a few of the reasonable things drivers would like to see happen in most areas of the country:
  • Rates to be a minimum of 75% of what the local taxi industry charges.
  • Put a tip button on the app.
  • Do not saturate an area with drivers.
  • Proper commercial liability coverage. (For me that is one that does not look like my personal policy.)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
tripAces, We are asking pax to not use Uber for just 55 hours. I am not going to discuss this with you any longer.
Wait!!! Wait a minute!!!! I thought you were against hurting other drivers driving that wknd.
Remember no False Request. Now you are for pax not using Uber for 55hrs. This is worse then false request.
And you are a very very very part time driver. Your family doesn't rely on you. I have to pay my medical bills and all I just incurred for eye surgeries. And you say your going to hurt my business. (Holding my tongue)

I am for striking but to directly hurt others needing the money. Damn!!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
tripAces . . . The Astros may have a wild card. Plenty of surge there.

Forget the word "strike." It is a work stoppage or slowdown. You seem to know where to find the pax and make money. I am sure that weekend will be no different from last weekend.

So what if I drive less than you do. The Partners Agreement says I need only to drive one fare per month to stay in good standing.

The event begins at 5 pm on Friday and ends at Midnight on Sunday -- 55 hrs.

Not everyone is going to get the message. There should be plenty of surges where you will earn 2X (or more) the amount you did last weekend.

Good day.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
tripAces . . . The Astros may have a wild card. Plenty of surge there.

Forget the word "strike." It is a work stoppage or slowdown. You seem to know where to find the pax and make money. I am sure that weekend will be no different from last weekend.

So what if I drive less than you do. The Partners Agreement says I need only to drive one fare per month to stay in good standing.

The event begins at 5 pm on Friday and ends at Midnight on Sunday -- 55 hrs.

Not everyone is going to get the message. There should be plenty of surges where you will earn 2X (or more) the amount you did last weekend.

Good day.
So know its not a Strike. But changed to work stoppage/slow down. I am laughing at all this so hard now. Thanks for the great laugh!

I let you drive that wagon over a cliff. Those that follow can blame themself. Remember I just pointed out the obvious and not willing to hurt other drivers income.
But those with nothing to lose will gladly stomp their feet and beat that war drum.

Also wonder why someone blocked you on here and no one goes to those mtgs. It all makes sense now.

Good Day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
when is a good day/ time for ppl interested in work stoppage in Houston to meet?

Suggestions for a central location?
I'll meet with you this week. I can afford to not work a weekend and I'm this close to a new job offer.

Not a Jack in the Box fan though. :)How about I-10/Taylor area? There's a huge shopping center with a Chick-FIL-A, Target, La Madeline etc.

Reactions: UberNorthStar
1 - 20 of 25 Posts