Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if Ottawa drivers have been figuring out what their earnings are per hour after deducting expenses like fuel, car washes, etc... to compare for when the new rules come into effect.

Curious if it comes out to above $11.25 min. wage ($11.40 in Oct.) and if you're willing to share your calculations like they do on other boards.

My line of thought is Ottawa is so spread out that it impacts net earnings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
driving XL all month in february 2017, and yes it looks bad, according to my calculation after all expenses for February 2017 I made about $12.05 per hour not mention TOTAL of: 6500 km :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
You guys are doing better than me. I live in the south which I am sure is a factor.

My best night ever was $11/hr after expenses, but my average is $8/hr. If I worked rush hour and bar rush consistently I calculate I could increase my average to $10/hr. My expenses range between 28-30cents/km, depending on the price of gas.

I don't bother to drive much anymore. I mostly use the destination feature when convenient.

The risk of a ticket or an accident wiping out weeks worth of profit is very real.

I'm very close to your per hour amount, some months less, some months (like June) was just a bit more.
By your username I assume you drive a Chevy Volt, how do you like it? I have to drive my current Elantra into the ground but after that I am planning to get the Bolt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They said at the Ottawa office that the average hourly amount area drivers make is $21. So far for me it is more like $12-$15 per hour.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good question. I am just starting so I am not sure yet. I would guess that the expenses bring the net hourly amount closer to the $9 - $10 range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Accident (other driver stopped short, claimed I was speeding and rammed him)

Customer dispute (argued against cleaning fee)

As a male I like it as proof that my behavior is on point (see threads about claims of sexual assault to dispute fares)

As a female, you may find it as a useful in passengers keeping hand to themselves (much more respectful on camera)

You will be driving much more and are at much higher risk than as a regular commuter. Think of it as extra insurance that may not be used much, but pays for itself many times over when you do need it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So ummm... is anyone in Ottawa making a satisfactory amount doing this Uber thing? I feel like I have a lot yet to learn but so far it feels like a volunteer job and I'm enabling people who don't want to walk.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well my results are earlier in the thread.

It's a job for the desperate and those bad at math. Or kind hearted volunteers

I mentioned in another thread, if you are looking for part time work I highly recommend the Commissionaires. They are hiring right now, pay a bit over minimum ($13 plus) and they will give you as many shifts as you want. Very flexible. Plus they have some benefits

·
Registered
22 Posts

It's a job for the desperate and those bad at math. Or kind hearted volunteers...
Yup, that is becoming more and more apparent. I do wonder if there is a way to just take surge fares, and am trying to figure out patterns to see if there might be just a few prime times to drive, without having to do late weekend nights.

For now, I think of it more as a volunteer job, helping people who don't have cars, maybe brightening their day a little.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just don't know you you guys do it.. wear n tear, gas, insurance, for a maybe 10 bucks an hour.... For me personally, after all theoretical and real deductions I wouldn't do it for less than $20/hr.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So here I thought this 1.3 x boost today would help me make some decent money, but got just one ride (in a non-boost zone at that) for $9.83, no tip, in about two hours online before giving up. I guess the boost just floods the roads with ants and you're lucky to get any rides...what a bummer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts