Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hourly or boost? Which is better? Why are some on hourly and some on boost? I don't get it. I have been on platinum boost for months.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see that. With stupid poop I have made maybe 12$ an hour before. More than once. Just horrible. I think I rather be on hourly.

·
25,860 Posts
Boost is better. Hourly has an acceptance rate requirement. Boost has none. Uber took me off boost and put me on hourly. It did promote me to Gold when I should be Silver. If what happened to me to-day with Uber Stool is any indication, I am better off on Silver boost than Gold hourly. If it is going to be every day the way that it was to-day, my acceptance rate will disqualify me from receiving hourly guarantees.

I did well on Boost, even at Bronze.

·
Premium Member
24,082 Posts
Like everyone else, I like boost infinitely more. It's clear cut. I can actually set a schedule around it, as opposed to before just being a surge harlot.

I also like the ease of seeing what you get when you're done with the trip. None of the hullabaloo of acceptance rates/trips per hour/jumping through hoops. Just turn app on & pick people up.

Boost also shows how bad the base rates are. If you're on 2.0X, divide your daily total in half. That's what you'd have gotten sans Metal Bonuses Program.

I'm very grateful to be on the Boost not hourly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yea **** hourly. used to be nice when I could finish all my rides in a few hours then relax somewhere. now it's like you have to actually go find riders rofl

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still like hourly better I understand boost drivers like boost more. If you hustle you can make more than hourly BUT you have to hustle and drive a lot. With hourly once you have the number of rides for any block perios youre done. This morning i milked it good 5 hours 5 rides $146 made. But only made $20 in fares and ONLY drove 30 miles total.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been on hourly. A couple of weeks ago they sort of gave me both, offering the hourly but also giving me boost within the reward zone. It was weird, but I was effectively on boost for that week so I have a basis of comparison.

I made slightly more on boost than I would have made had I hit all the hourly guarantees. I had to do a lot more rides in the same time to make that additional money. However there was no stress over acceptance rates or finding the right number of rides to hit the guarantee.

Hourly is a lot of return for very little work if you can figure out how to play it. The downside is that you can get unlucky and get no rides which means you make nothing. In fact, if you aren't strategic not hitting the guarantee for one hour can mean losing it for several others. I have made the decision to use Lyft or just take a break for an hour rather than gamble on getting the additional ride I need. I did that just last night.

Example: say there is a three hour guarantee window from 10 pm to 1 am where you are guaranteed $40 per hour. You get two rides between 10 pm and 12 am but you don't get the third one in before your two hours is up. Your first two rides are only worth $15 but Uber will be paying you $80 gross. You can keep the app on and if you hit another ride between midnight and 1 am you get another $40. But if you stay online and don't get a ride, you are only going to be paid $15 for your first two hours. So you are risking the loss of $65 to gain another $40.

Do ya feel lucky?

I do think it's true that hourly drivers get fewer pings. I've worked out a few places where I frequently get rides because there aren't a lot of drivers there relative to demand, but it isn't a sure thing and a pax can take me away from those areas.

On the positive side, there are also times when hourly allows me to steal from Uber. If I get a three pickup pool ride in my first hour, then I can go to a dead spot and hide for two hours playing sudoku. I've found some good ones, and some of them are in places you would NEVER think would be dead.

As with most things in life there are pluses and minuses to both situations. It's not like we get to choose so you have to make the most of what Uber throws you.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am not sure what the hourly requirements are but if that's what you've been given then why not just Han out at the airport all day ? At least you KNOW you will get fares within a certain time frame

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have done airport but only when the wait time is under half an hour. Do the math. If you need one ride per hour and the wait time is 45 minutes you aren't going to get there. If I go to the areas in DC that have been really good for me there is an excellent chance of getting a two or three pax pool ride that makes three hours of guarantee in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Well, I'm a little paranoid now. I didn't get any email. What if they're switching people over, but then omitting some people so they have enough money to pay people who will be getting the boost?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.