Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
9,389 Posts
With English being the exception, generally speaking a language is directly tied to a particular people/culture/region. When a governing body uses a specific language when an official one haven't been established, in that sense a particular people/culture/region is promoted while languages not used are suppressed (people/culture/region).

This behavior is a form of racism which is why I called out on that old fart.
Try to explain that to the two thirds of the white people that are in Africa that speak Afrikaans.

There is over 7,000 different languages in the world. Over half of the world speaks only 23 of those languages on a regular basis. The most used language out of the 23 is English.

So no, language is not racist you only see it as being racist.

· Registered
846 Posts
Try to explain that to the two thirds of the white people that are in Africa that speak Afrikaans.

There is over 7,000 different languages in the world. Over half of the world speaks only 23 of those languages on a regular basis. The most used language out of the 23 is English.

So no, language is not racist you only see it as being racist.
You actually think I'm ignorant?

· Registered
1,089 Posts
View attachment 692972

Huh???

Old fart is starting to lose it. Here, let me clean things up for your social security collecting butt.

You inferred I was a racist by pointing out my comment was racist.

I countered by stating your line of thinking is racist.

You sensed I had something going on with that so you attempted to duck out.

Someone else challenged your usage of the word "racist".

Then you shifted and used the new word of the day, "prejudice" and then tried to whip me with that.

🤷‍♂️
Dude I was shaving my balls and talking to text , my bad 🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷‍♂️ , in Spanglish

· Registered
266 Posts
Sounds like a scenario that would have resulted in a rare early-ride cancellation for me, if he was annoying and being super-pushy the way you describe. Definitely never afraid to tell a pax that I simply don’t want them in my vehicle and prefer not to offer my service.

· Premium Member
9,389 Posts
One is a state of mind while the other is action based from said state of mind. Promoting and suppressing languages has real meaningful impact in the US. I had thought this was apparent...
Prejudice doesn’t necessarily have to do with race. It means you, as the old saying goes, judge a book by its cover. That is, you decide that for whatever arbitrary factor something will be true about someone before you get to know them. An example would be a company HR rep who thinks that veterans all have mental health problems when they leave the service.

Racism is the belief that 1) races are more than arbitrary social constructs; 2) that there are superior and inferior races; 3) that the superior status should afford them extra rights and privileges; and 4) society should revolve around them .

· Premium Member
9,389 Posts
Sorry to butt in , it’s simple really , in Mexico the dogs can’t talk
I don't think Mexicans use dog as food. But I could be wrong, I think it's the Oriental Avenue that uses dog.

And that was an american dog by the way in the commercial. It just had Mexican heritage in it?

Or did I miss what you were saying?

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I've been leaning on on these apps too, as more and more pax in parts of the Minneapolis market (ie, Richfield, East Bloomington, Burnsville, etc) seem to only know Spanish (zero English) and dont habla much of the espanol...my broader question about be how do the "Pablos" navigate life in the Twin Cities which not really bilingual...I cant imagine moving to Spain and not learning Spanish; it would be a disaster.

· Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 692972

Huh???

Old fart is starting to lose it. Here, let me clean things up for your social security collecting butt.

You inferred I was a racist by pointing out my comment was racist.

I countered by stating your line of thinking is racist.

You sensed I had something going on with that so you attempted to duck out.

Someone else challenged your usage of the word "racist".

Then you shifted and used the new word of the day, "prejudice" and then tried to whip me with that.

🤷‍♂️
One day sir you are going to be on social Security . If you live that long.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts