Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL!

Too bad the dang thing wasn't totaled.

Hit and run, sideswiped me at a STOP sign. Mostly cosmetic, but some dents on the doors, some bad, and the rear bumper is kinda hanging off.

Fortunately I was OFF DUTY at the time, on my way to vote. No need to tell Fuber and deal with that nightmare. If it wasn't an Xchange leased vehicle, I'd probably just pocket the claim $ and pop the bumper back in. Instead I gotta hope the claim payment covers my repair costs above my deductible.

Again. Too bad the dang thing wasn't totaled.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
LOL!

Hit and run, sideswiped me at a STOP sign. Mostly cosmetic, but some dents on the doors, some bad, and the rear bumper is kinda hanging off.

Fortunately I was OFF DUTY at the time, on my way to vote. No need to tell Fuber and deal with that nightmare. If it wasn't an Xchange leased vehicle, I'd probably just pocket the claim $ and pop the bumper back in. Instead I gotta hope the claim payment covers my repair costs above my deductible.

It's not too late to total it. Let me refer you to my friend adeiue from our OC coast department.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vote for what?
It's election day!

Vote for Mayor, several county positions, as well as some ballot measures. Big ones were measures H, M, N, and S.

H: more homelessness measures

M: Sets up the infrastructure for legal recreational marijuana shops

N: measure that would have only allowed existing Prop D compliant dispensaries sell recreational (The organization that sponsored this prop has since abandoned it and encouraged voters to vote NO on N, YES on M).

S: NIMBY bill that puts a 2 year moratorium on any new construction in the city of Los Angeles.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
It's election day!

Vote for Mayor, several county positions, as well as some ballot measures. Big ones were measures H, M, N, and S.

H: more homelessness measures

M: Sets up the infrastructure for legal recreational marijuana shops

N: measure that would have only allowed existing Prop D compliant dispensaries sell recreational (The organization that sponsored this prop has since abandoned it and encouraged voters to vote NO on N, YES on M).

S: NIMBY bill that puts a 2 year moratorium on any new construction in the city of Los Angeles.
Oh that stuff...lol

Good on ya.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
It's not too late to total it. Let me refer you to my friend adeiue from our OC coast department.
I don't total vehicles dude

I put duct tape and nail polish on the bumpers as needed.

Cute.

I heard from pax some big Chinese megacorp they work for is buying up huge swathes of DTLA with plans to raze and rebuild with 30-64 floor highrises

SAVE HISTORIC SKID ROW~!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that stuff...lol

Good on ya.
LOL.

Mayor was a non-race. Garcetti may as well have been running unopposed. Two county positions were running unopposed... in other words if you ran against them you would have probably had at least a 50/50 chance.

Considering all the tents around town H was going through no doubt.

Really it was all about M, N, and S.

M is important, it allows the rec shops to open, gives people a legal means to buy rec.pot, and a system for the city to tax it. N needs to be voted down because it's only on the ballot because the idiots who own the Prop D shops didn't remove it in time. Stoners.

And S, well that's the big one everyone's talking about.

The guy who sponsored the bill is a man who runs the local AIDS charity AHF. Most know the charity for their funny billboard signs like these:

However, AHF founder Michael Weinstein, upset over the prospect of losing his million dollar office view to Hollywood highrise hotels, offices, and apartment buildings, sponsored Prop S, and used the charities money to do it!

Basically if passed, any building project that hasn't already laid foundation would have to stop immediately, and could not continue for at least two years. Any proposed and previously approved projects would also be halted for two years. Any new plans would have to wait 2 years before going through an approval process.

It's basically a development killing bill.

But because Mr. Weinstein has spent huge $ on the campaign, including sending out fake eviction notices to LA residents to scare them to vote YES,

it's expected to pass despite being one of the most economy damaging bills ever put forth.

I don't total vehicles dude
I heard from pax some big Chinese megacorp they work for is buying up huge swathes of DTLA with plans to raze and rebuild with 30-64 floor highrises

SAVE HISTORIC SKID ROW~!!!!
Not just one... there is no shortage of Chinese and other Pacific rim firms investing in DTLA, and yes, even SKID ROW.

In 10 years, hipsters will be chilling at all the hot new bars in Skrow... or SkiRo... or The Row... or D'Row...

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly.

In the meantime... this downtime has me thinking about my Fuber future.

I have 2 years and nearly $17,000 left on my Xchange lease. Then if I want to keep the Prius after I've beaten on it for 3 years, it's another $4k. So $21K plus expenses for a car with a current KBB value of $10-12K.

The other option I'm considering:

Get the insurance claim check, don't get the car fixed, put some lipstick on the ol' pig and turn her in and hope what they charge me is less than what insurance pays out. Then take what $ I've saved and buy the cheapest possible Select vehicle I can get and try my luck with that for a while.

So those in the know, what should I expect as a cost for a low end (but still qualifying) Select vehicle?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Exactly.

In the meantime... this downtime has me thinking about my Fuber future.

I have 2 years and nearly $17,000 left on my Xchange lease. Then if I want to keep the Prius after I've beaten on it for 3 years, it's another $4k. So $21K plus expenses for a car with a current KBB value of $10-12K.

The other option I'm considering:

Get the insurance claim check, don't get the car fixed, put some lipstick on the ol' pig and turn her in and hope what they charge me is less than what insurance pays out. Then take what $ I've saved and buy the cheapest possible Select vehicle I can get and try my luck with that for a while.

So those in the know, what should I expect as a cost for a low end (but still qualifying) Select vehicle?
$7k

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could definitely swing that. I might just have to make the switch. Need to take a look at a list of the Select qualifying vehicles and pick the cheapest/most efficient one. With fuel costs set to skyrocket this summer, good mileage is going to be very important.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
I could definitely swing that. I might just have to make the switch. Need to take a look at a list of the Select qualifying vehicles and pick the cheapest/most efficient one. With fuel costs set to skyrocket this summer, good mileage is going to be very important.
Wrong approach, but oh well...

The absolute cheapest selects are old Cadillacs and Buicks.

The wait times might drive you nuts though....get a Select/XL double dipper unless you want to spend your days napping in parking lots or cherrypicking Lyft surges.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wrong approach, but oh well...
So, what's the right approach?

Adieu said:
The absolute cheapest selects are old Cadillacs and Buicks.

The wait times might drive you nuts though....get a Select/XL double dipper unless you want to spend your days napping in parking lots or cherrypicking Lyft surges.
Not seeing any double dip vehciles on Fuber's list. suggest a few models?

Also, looking at CL for any Select vehicles is coming up snake eyes. Where would I find this mystery $7000 select vehicle?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
LOL!

I don't claim to understand the Xchange lease contract, but I thought the insurance came with the lease, namely James River. But it sounds like you are providing insurance as well, for app off driving. If so, why would you think insurance wouldn't cover the cost of repairs? If you don't have rideshare coverage, will that cause you a problem with your insurer?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
So, what's the right approach?

Not seeing any double dip vehciles on Fuber's list. suggest a few models?

Also, looking at CL for any Select vehicles is coming up snake eyes. Where would I find this mystery $7000 select vehicle?
Anything with 6 empty seats gets XL.

Anything on UberSUV, UberBlack, UberLUX lists qualifies Select (with Select's year requirements not that lists).

So Tahoe Suburban Yukon Navigator Escalade etc.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts