Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make the most money possible and am prepared to buy a used BMW or MB for around $35,000.00 and Commercial Insurance with OL plates. 'Estimate $1500.00 month for insurance and car payment.

I prefer BLACK to SUV because of less baggage, passengers, and gas overhead. Unless you tell me that UBER SUV is much better!

I spoke to a few BLACK drivers in Jersey City and they say they make good money, does anyone there with UBER BLACK make money?

Will I get enough business from UBER BLACK in North Jersey?; I have no intention of accepting UBER X rides.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Uber black is forced to accept X calls otherwise you get deactivated. So think about it. I wanted to do the same and get a nice car to be only black but if I need to drive people for 3.20$ with a nice luxury car then I will gest stick with X.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I want to make the most money possible and am prepared to buy a used BMW or MB for around $35,000.00 and Commercial Insurance with OL plates. 'Estimate $1500.00 month for insurance and car payment.

I prefer BLACK to SUV because of less baggage, passengers, and gas overhead. Unless you tell me that UBER SUV is much better!

I spoke to a few BLACK drivers in Jersey City and they say they make good money, does anyone there with UBER BLACK make money?

Will I get enough business from UBER BLACK in North Jersey?; I have no intention of accepting UBER X rides.
You better redo your math $1500 a month more like $2000 a month insurance and payment plus gas ( if I'm not mistaken $600-1000 per month so for you to actually make money you probably need to gross out about $8000-10000 per month that's driving 12-16 hours shifts 6 days a week lol if you lucky)
You better off working for s limo company and doing uber on free time

·
Banned
821 Posts
I have absolutely no idea how he plans on getting OL plates. You basically need to be in bed with a politician in an NJ township to get those plates...a blessing from a NJ township which they will not give to anyone who walks through the door unlike NYC TLC.

I have no idea about the Black accepting UberX or vice versa, but when I toggle back/forth from Black to UberX in the NJ area I dont see any UberX cars doubling as a Black. That said, I highly doubt there is a tremendous demand for Black car service in NJ. I think that business is mainly in NYC. My observation is people are very cheap in NJ and just want a ride.

Its best NOT to take my word for it, but go ahead and call 3 Black Cars in Jersey on different days. Have very frank and honest conversations with each one that shows up. Look at the passenger app and follow a few Black cars around to see when they disappear. Uber does have an office in Hoboken as well as Long Island City and you can visit them to field your questions. In fact, before sinking thousands or tens of thousands into a car you should be in that office asking away instead of relying on strangers from a messageboard who may not have the correct information. You should also not rely on Ubers customer service. In fact, I would go in person to the office to ask questions and just to verify the answers also send an email to customer service with the same questions. Ive found that no one really knows the correct answers so its best to verify everything you hear through websites and other sources.

My opinion is the MadMax or Tariq way to go is your best bet. Get an UberX Prius for the best deal possible. Get some NYC TLC plates which will take about 3-4 months. Uber around NYC in morning and evening. There you go, best way to go. MadMax went for a new Prius V and Tariq a used Prius for 12k.

Again, DO NOT take our word for it here. Visit the Hoboken city hall, NJ DMV to ask about OL Plates. Go to Uber's office in Hoboken or LIC. Call a few Uber drivers off of the passenger app. Get your answers from them up front...but dont even take their word for it. Whatever you hear or read, verify verify verify to make sure you are getting the correct answer because the reality is no one really knows the right answers...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have a small limo company and I can pick up UberBlack or UberX under a program called "cross dispatch ". I have 2 Black cars - when I open the app - there is a tab that says - select vehicle. When I open the tab the license plates are listed -
OL2443J UberBlack only
OL2443J+ UberBlack and UberX

I toggle between modes depending on where I am - the rates at EWR and the Jersey Shore are high enough to accept either - the rest of NJ is UberBlack only.

There is not enough UberBlack demand to make a living BUT if you get OL plates - your opportunities expand exponentially. Hundreds of small limo cos (including mine) hire independents to help them at peak demand times and on weekends. Uber is only 2% of my revenue - most of my business is from my website. I give away about 40 rides a month to independents. So my advice to you is stop thinking of yourself as an Uber driver and start thinking about yourself as an independent entrepreneur. There are incredible opportunities in transport right now - Uber has made car service 10 times bigger than it ever was - so use Uber when it benefits you - don't be a pawn in their game. There are opportunities in medical rides, delivery services, courier services and many other areas. Work hard, understand the market, be very good at what you do, be ethical (something Uber has a problem with) and you won't need Luck - you will be successful.

"Work for 5 years like few men will and live the rest of your life like few men can."

·
Banned
821 Posts
Am I correct in saying its extremely difficult to get OL Plates? How long and how much effort did it take for you to get the OL plates from start to finish?

I have a small limo company and I can pick up UberBlack or UberX under a program called "cross dispatch ". I have 2 Black cars - when I open the app - there is a tab that says - select vehicle. When I open the tab the license plates are listed -
OL2443J UberBlack only
OL2443J+ UberBlack and UberX

I toggle between modes depending on where I am - the rates at EWR and the Jersey Shore are high enough to accept either - the rest of NJ is UberBlack only.

There is not enough UberBlack demand to make a living BUT if you get OL plates - your opportunities expand exponentially. Hundreds of small limo cos (including mine) hire independents to help them at peak demand times and on weekends. Uber is only 2% of my revenue - most of my business is from my website. I give away about 40 rides a month to independents. So my advice to you is stop thinking of yourself as an Uber driver and start thinking about yourself as an independent entrepreneur. There are incredible opportunities in transport right now - Uber has made car service 10 times bigger than it ever was - so use Uber when it benefits you - don't be a pawn in their game. There are opportunities in medical rides, delivery services, courier services and many other areas. Work hard, understand the market, be very good at what you do, be ethical (something Uber has a problem with) and you won't need Luck - you will be successful.

"Work for 5 years like few men will and live the rest of your life like few men can."

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Am I correct in saying its extremely difficult to get OL Plates? How long and how much effort did it take for you to get the OL plates from start to finish?
The issue is not the plates. The issue is the insurance. There are very limited companies writing policies for startups, and that is the main problem. There's a lot of work involved to get OL plates, but the biggest hurdle is the insurance. It's not that much different than getting TLC outside of the insurance issue.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Well, the NYC TLC process is well documented and its not hard, but just time consuming going through the various steps. The NJ OL plates seems more of an ordeal and no one knows exactly what it entails to get them. There was a guy who wrote an article about how he got the NJ OL plates and it took several steps and he had to approach different municipalities. The article was on the internet which I cant find now. It seemed like his ordeal was months of paperwork and such and hunting around for the right municipality in NJ to host him. I think he also had to setup a physical office in the municipality.

The issue is not the plates. The issue is the insurance. There are very limited companies writing policies for startups, and that is the main problem. There's a lot of work involved to get OL plates, but the biggest hurdle is the insurance. It's not that much different than getting TLC outside of the insurance issue.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Yes NJD - the plates are difficult to get. You have to form an LLC, register with the state, and get a corpcode. You seem focused on the town but that really isn't an issue where I am. You just pay a fee to "domicile" your vehicle in your town. PRU&C is right - insurance is a very difficult issue. I use Lancer Ins. but I know from my agent that they are not adding many new policies and many carriers have dropped out of NJ. Check out ITEK in Roseland. They will lease you a car with OL plates. Then you just have to domicile the car and get insurance. That lady with the LCT trade show in AC may be a good source for insurance carriers and Lancer always has a booth there. When I started in 2009, an individual could get OL plates - now it has to be a corporation.

That should give you a few avenues to pursue in your quest to get out there on your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chi, yes I am finding out commercial insurance is difficult to find because I am a new driver starting a new company and not affiliated with a base; but I have a good driving record and good credit. Can you recommend a insurance company? Is it better to get the TLC license, and can I get NYC TLC plates as a NJ resident?

I live in Jersey City and the process for getting OL plates and Chauffeur license seems simple.

Chi, I love your business model, I want to build a website and do what you do. Should I start as a new business and contact limo companies to work as a sub contractor? Or should I work for a limo company directly because I will need a base affiliation to get insurance? The one limo company I contacted wanted to rent a town car to me for $500 per week, 3 month minimum and they provide me with all their corporate clients.

My biggest concern is if I get a black car with commercial insurance but have no customers! In Jersey City there are dozens of black cars swarming 24 hours, dose that mean too much competition or enough business for everyone?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
To Falcon - I would be wary of renting from a limo co. You can only drive their clients and you can't be on Uber in their car. Also my understanding is that the driver gets around 65% of the ride so it is not just the $500 weekly cost. You need to set up a business with a lot of feeders - and you have to have a network of drivers because clients travel at the same time - mostly Monday mornings and return Thursday night. You are going to have conflicts and you have to have a network to cover you. So - you connect with other limo companies - they are feeders. You have Uber as a feeder. You sign up to do medical rides - another feeder. You visit office parks and visit small companies with travel needs - another feeder. When I started I did some courier work delivering eyeglasses. Do anything that keeps the wheels turning. Eventually, you can specialize and become more efficient and choose where and when you want to drive. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
88 Posts
I would never pick up UberX in a brand new MB, I can tell you that. I drive a 2006 Benz(only 60k miles) and I thought about buying a 2016 Benz to do Black, then I heard this shit:
Uber black is forced to accept X calls otherwise you get deactivated. So think about it. I wanted to do the same and get a nice car to be only black but if I need to drive people for 3.20$ with a nice luxury car then I will gest stick with X.
Hell NO!!! I would never pick up a X in a new Mercedes Benz!!! GTFO!

·
Registered
271 Posts
When did you start Uber? If it was after February 28, 2015. Your forced to accept X and Black. Your phone will always be tied up with X and you'll rarely see a black hail.

·
Banned
88 Posts
I started before thanksgiving sometime. Either way I would never buy a "new benz" just so Uberx trash riders can ruin it....

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
In NJ I am not forced to accept UberX rides. My cars have 2 profiles - 1 is UberBlack only, the other has a "+" after the license plate and accepts both. I accept UberX rides at the airport and at the Jersey Shore only. My vehicle listing looks like this -

Hyundai Genesis New Jersey OL3924J
Hyundai Genesis New Jersey OL3924J+
Hyundai Equus New Jersey OL4839J
Hyundai Equus New Jersey OL4839J+

·
Registered
271 Posts
In NJ I am not forced to accept UberX rides. My cars have 2 profiles - 1 is UberBlack only, the other has a "+" after the license plate and accepts both. I accept UberX rides at the airport and at the Jersey Shore only. My vehicle listing looks like this -

Hyundai Genesis New Jersey OL3924J
Hyundai Genesis New Jersey OL3924J+
Hyundai Equus New Jersey OL4839J
Hyundai Equus New Jersey OL4839J+
Is the policy different for ol? I know for TLC they changed it in February.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts