Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this guy who seemed agreeable enough; not particular about the kind of music, temp in car okay, etc.; didn't notice a long, dirty car part he had with him, which I believe he deliberately concealed. Anyway, as I take him to his "destination" he instructed me to take him to Autozone, and I sang the jingle. Dude didn't laugh or comment, instead becoming emboldened enough to ask, "Can you wait outside for five minutes? I need to go to Disneyland." I told him, "Five minutes is too long to ask an Uber driver to wait. A quick in-and-out at Chevron is one thing; you're going to be inside getting that part a lot longer than five minutes. It's not fair to ask me to wait."

Dude tried to play it cool, "Okay, no problem," so I would believe he wasn't going to one-star me, and I knew better. As soon as he left my vehicle, I rated the audacious jerk with the one-star he deserved. This is not a charity, and his car being stuck at Disneyland doesn't necessitate my sitting for fifteen minutes at 19 cents a minute. In an hour and a half of driving this morning in Orange County, my earnings were less that $10.00 already! Decided this was God's way of telling me not to skip the shindig the bosses are putting on today for me and my better "performing" colleagues who get all the easy stuff handed to them, after all.

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
One has to be a good actor at times.
And often times we are not happy campers having to work on our car, especially in the parking lot of Disney.

Also think back to, how many times do we get a rider because of there misfortune ? Plenty for me.

I do get the dirty car part, so it was used and not a new one.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I picked up this guy who seemed agreeable enough; not particular about the kind of music, temp in car okay, etc.; didn't notice a long, dirty car part he had with him, which I believe he deliberately concealed. Anyway, as I take him to his "destination" he instructed me to take him to Autozone, and I sang the jingle. Dude didn't laugh or comment, instead becoming emboldened enough to ask, "Can you wait outside for five minutes? I need to go to Disneyland." I told him, "Five minutes is too long to ask an Uber driver to wait. A quick in-and-out at Chevron is one thing; you're going to be inside getting that part a lot longer than five minutes. It's not fair to ask me to wait."

Dude tried to play it cool, "Okay, no problem," so I would believe he wasn't going to one-star me, and I knew better. As soon as he left my vehicle, I rated the audacious jerk with the one-star he deserved. This is not a charity, and his car being stuck at Disneyland doesn't necessitate my sitting for fifteen minutes at 19 cents a minute. In an hour and a half of driving this morning in Orange County, my earnings were less that $10.00 already! Decided this was God's way of telling me not to skip the shindig the bosses are putting on today for me and my better "performing" colleagues who get all the easy stuff handed to them, after all.
You need to search Pax like TSA before they get to your car. Never know what they have:D

·
Registered
966 Posts
You need to search Pax like TSA before they get to your car. Never know what they have:D
Just step into my portable x-ray machine.

No.... No!! Remove your shoes first!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Look at it this way. Lets say you tell him you cant wait and you end the trip. Then you have to drive another 5-10min to get another PAX. But if you did wait, you would have a PAX to give a ride back to Disneyland.

Personally i would wait, might even go in to the store and pick up a bottle of window cleaner. Yes, you dont get paid much, but getting few $ is better then nothing while you burn fuel driving for 10min.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the rest of the day to enjoy for myself, instead of satisfying the unjustified thrift of a tightwad passenger. My son left work at 1:30PM, and he and I had a wonderful time with my work colleagues in Newport Beach. Again, a quick run inside a convenience store isn't a problem. Letting me wait while he's in line along with parts clerk interaction would be a minimum of fifteen minutes and I would have needed to keep the engine running so the car would be cool. I'd rather spend that time and gas locating someone else most days, all while teaching an entitled passenger that Uber drivers' time is valuable and shouldn't be taken for granted. We need to draw the line somewhere and educate the ridesharing public not to abuse our time.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Uber's value for our time is to blame for this situation.
If time value wasn't ridiculously low, you would have no objection to wait. However, this is not be case. On the flip side, the customer could have handled it better if he tipped you for waiting. Even a $5.00 tip would have made it worth waiting.

Uber not only drops our time value to worthless in many markets, it also turns around and tells the riders "do not give this driver any tip, I pay him enough, he is killing it already, he should consider himself lucky he has thus job, his car and time are both wouldn't be used if I don't give him this fare, so technically they are free resources, you are entitled to abuse a driver!"

Despite the low minute rates, many of us would show empathy and wait for the guy. But every day what my parents taught me and what I teach my kids are being put to test in situations like that. Many times I feel like an idiot for doing the right thing. I trust the karma. Uber is destroying a lot of things in this society by lowering the time value and removing cashless tipping possibility from its system.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Uber must add a new category to the fare: WAITING FEE!
Waiting fee should be toggled on and off by the driver and it should display at rider's app as well as the driver's app how many minutes and how much it is adding to the fare. As soon as pax says "can you wait for me to get into this store real quick?" We should then be able to respond with "not a problem at all, I am turning the fare into WAITING MODE and take all your time, no need to rush!". When pax can see how much waiting is costing them, they will think twice before they make you wait. Waiting fee should depend on market and surge multiplier. This is fair and would make the system work. When pax cones back to car, we can then hit WAITING OFF and resume trip fare calculation.

There is a reasonable solution to every problem if we are really seeing it as a problem and really try to fix it.

Uber must add a WAITING MODE to the driver app that we can trigger each time pax wants us to wait. Name calling pax will stop and many people will pick anyone even will not object drive through runs as long as we are paid for waiting.

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
Sometimes I just tell the pax that its a dollar. Per 5 minutes. One said that's not bad at all.

Also this is why I put out in the IE section ask / have me do a drive thur, auto. 1 star. I've had a couple of pax laugh at that saying " I cant believe they did that."

Reactions: Casuale Haberdasher

·
Registered
344 Posts
So, the guy was having a crisis with his car and was trying to deal with it, and he didn't laugh when you sang the autozone jingle so you wouldn't wait for him? That was my take away. Also that you were making less than $10 that day so instead of choosing to make more money, you ditched a paying pax and decided to make him out to be a jerk and 1*'ed him. Not sure if this a job for you. Not a criticism, just something to think about.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Reading comprehension is fundamental. Troll.
Not a troll. People pay you to drive and wait. They do it for different reasons and may not always think your jingle singing is cute or endearing. If you don't understand that driving and waiting is what this job is, this may not be for you. 1*'ing a pax for expecting you to drive and wait is fairly ridiculous. Again, not a criticism -- just something to think about.

·
24,224 Posts
teaching an entitled passenger that Uber drivers' time is valuable and shouldn't be taken for granted. We need to draw the line somewhere and educate the ridesharing public not to abuse our time.
One of the most frequent arguments from passengers in the cab business is over waiting time. For some reason, the riding public does not think that your time is worth anything, although theirs is. If I respond to a call, notify the customer and he hints that he might not be out in five minutes, I inform him that I will be charging for waiting. Immediately, he takes an arugmentative stance and starts asking all sorts of questions. More than once, I have told such a customer "never mind" and driven away. If they are going to start arguing before they are even in the car, they might not pay. I am not running a trip and not getting paid.

If time value wasn't ridiculously low, you would have no objection to wait. However, this is not be case. On the flip side, the customer could have handled it better if he tipped you for waiting. Even a $5.00 tip would have made it worth waiting.

Uber drops our time value to worthless and tells the riders "you are entitled to abuse a driver!"
Uber places no value on our time because its riders place none on it. Uber can be very good at edge-uh-mah-kaytinn its customers, when it wants to. It chooses to be very good at eddikaytinn them about not tipping, but it don't seem to be none too good 'bout ejjucaytinn' 'em none about being outside when the ride arrives, or, at least, coming out immediately.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The butch who taught the 7X7 class had the nerve to claim that we text AFTER 5 minutes, call after 10 minutes!!! Maybe if you're a well-paid limo driver like her. Beotch.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The butch who taught the 7X7 class had the nerve to claim that we text AFTER 5 minutes, call after 10 minutes!!! Maybe if you're a well-paid limo driver like her. Beotch.
I got a response back from Uber CSR about not contacting rider until 5 minutes arrival. I told her, "At 5 minutes, I am leaving and collecting the $5. I will text by 2 or 3 minutes upon arrival." I would say something to that 7x7 class instructor. I don't do classes. They don't know shit about this gig.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts

Uber not only drops our time value to worthless in many markets, it also turns around and tells the riders "do not give this driver any tip, I pay him enough, he is killing it already, he should consider himself lucky he has thus job, his car and time are both wouldn't be used if I don't give him this fare, so technically they are free resources, you are entitled to abuse a driver!"

Despite the low minute rates, many of us would show empathy and wait for the guy. But every day what my parents taught me and what I teach my kids are being put to test in situations like that. Many times I feel like an idiot for doing the right thing. I trust the karma. Uber is destroying a lot of things in this society by lowering the time value and removing cashless tipping possibility from its system.
In all the times (not recently) I have been nice it has only benefited me once and that was a $5 tip from a lady after taking her through a drive through.

At other times I have:

Waited for "2 minutes" which ended up being 15 because the pax's original destination was into town where I was heading anyway. He came out and changed it to 4 blocks away.

Not canceled a trip at 2.1 surge when it was then surging at 4.6 because I felt obligated to take them. Ended up with pax telling me one destination then wanting to end the trip and restart at what was in that location no surge. Pretty sure I got 1 *d out of that too after refusing. Missed the big surge of course.

Driven half a mile to pick up a pax who said he would "make it up to me" for misplaced pin. This after waiting 6 minutes at the original pin while not able to get him to answer the phone. I guess he made it up to me with 5*.

Dropped off 4 pax on one trip one after the other on no surge. Sat while they took their time saying goodnight at each stop resulting in an $8 fare for probably 30 mins total wait time and driving. Had to listen to them ***** about the last driver who wouldn't do that. (I don't either now).

Cannot say how many times I waited more than 5 minutes after pax told me they'd be right out and I felt obligated to stay. Inevitably it was a short trip and no tip. Usually less than the cancel fee would have been.

Drive Thrus--made that mistake my first month. Need I say more? Oh ok. Cured of that when I got stuck in one for 20 mins while the pax argued about who got the cum and ass and p**** juice stains on the couch. Came to find out their apartment was ACROSS the road from the Mcdonalds. Like 50 feet. Meanwhile missed the 2am surge.

I could go on. The point is when I try to be nice it backfires with uber and these pax. The more selfish I am, the more I stop giving ing a s*** about the pax, their feelings, their schedules, the better it is for me. I make more money being a b**** and my rating and blood pressure suffer less.

I haven't been in a cab for 25 years. And I honestly never had any issue with cabs back then. But if some of them are as awful as my pax tell me I'm honestly not surprised. I have worked at Dairy Queen and received more respect from customers than I do from a large portion of my pax.

I was very nice for the first month or two. I was ok for 3 more. The last 3 I have stopped driving much and when I do I don't care one iota about the pax' feelings. Unless one calls me and tells me he or she is blind and just sprained their ankle I am not going 1 block from the pin placement to find them with no surge. They have 5 mins to find me.

I am not doing stops so pax can save money. Buses make stops. Limos make stops. I'm going a to b. They can call another Uber. I'm ending the trip at the first stop or they can make it worth my while ahead of time. This of course applies to drive throughs. Haven't done one of those for a while.

I'm not giving out 5 * unless the trip was PERFECT. Some pax don't. Uber tells us we can absorb those ratings, so can they.

This job trains you to despise people and rewards you for treating them badly BEFORE they get a chance to do the same to you. It's like we're all in the Stanford Prison experiment. I'm just not sure who the guards are and who the prisoners.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a response back from Uber CSR about not contacting rider until 5 minutes arrival. I told her, "At 5 minutes, I am leaving and collecting the $5. I will text by 2 or 3 minutes upon arrival." I would say something to that 7x7 class instructor. I don't do classes. They don't know shit about this gig.
Part of our "grade" as to whether we passed and would be reactivated was her impression of our professionalism. She was definitely on a power trip and would have "failed" anyone who stood up to her. Did get some good information that helped me raise my rating, but she was a real "c u next Tuesday" type.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a troll. People pay you to drive and wait. They do it for different reasons and may not always think your jingle singing is cute or endearing. If you don't understand that driving and waiting is what this job is, this may not be for you. 1*'ing a pax for expecting you to drive and wait is fairly ridiculous. Again, not a criticism -- just something to think about.
What I think is that you're rather full of yourself ... and shit. Not to be redundant or anything.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not canceled a trip at 2.1 surge when it was then surging at 4.6 because I felt obligated to take them. Ended up with pax telling me one destination then wanting to end the trip and restart at what was in that location no surge. Pretty sure I got 1 *d out of that too after refusing. Missed the big surge of course.
The solution for this one is to end the first trip. Then tell him that was your last ride for the day. And ask him to exit your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts