Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was 17 points from Platinum this morning, so I turned the UBER App on after noon, looking to get 6 short rides, to lock in Platinum until the end of January 2021.

I got a couple short rides while I did my Sunday errands.

Eventually, I got a ride to the Airport, and then another ride (not a rematch) downtown.

Lakeshore was closed, and traffic was a special kind of Hell on Fleet Street. While i was waiting for many light cycles to turn left onto Ft. York, I heard on the radio that the COVID-19 cases in Ontario had crossed 1000/day for the first time. I thought perfect, I get one more ride on DF, and I hang up the keys until things settle for a while.

On the 6th ride, from Bathurst/FortYork to Church & Charles, PAX dropped their pin on the wrong condo, and I was about to shuffle, after texting the woman and her fella, why I was on Bastion instead of at her Condo, they eventually walked to me. She gives me some flack about the address. I show where she dropped the pin, and that I am exactly where the pin is. I tell them I have no info beyond that, and the ride begins on the wrong foot. The dude really like the interior leather styling of the VOLT, so we talk about that for a bit. I tell them I'm impressed that after 5000 rides, and 3 years of driving, mainly the night shift, that the leather has held up so well. She asks me if anyone has every puked in the car. I tell her that I'm picky about the kind of drunk I may or may not pick up at 3am. She asks me what is the worst thing has happened. I tell her the story about the dude that got in covered in blood on Mercer St. after being in a full street fight. And how I didn't know at the time, as it was dark, lesson learned.

We are driving up Spadina and Turn Onto Wellesley. Traffic Hell Part 2. To make matters worse, as I approach Church street, there is an Ambulance with full sirens and lights coming up behind me (about 6 cars back) as I am at the intersection. There are cars parked on both sides of Wellesley so nowhere to pull over, and it is wall to wall cars behind me. As the light turns yellow, I make my left turn onto Church Street North. Right into an oncoming Fire Engine coming south on Church in the wrong lane. I did not hear the fire truck because of the Ambulance. We miss collision by about 10 cm. Passenger in the back are freaking out. I manage to pull onto the east side of Church to take a breather. I told the lady-pax. Congrats. In all of my 3 years of Gig-Driving, that was the most dangerous thing that ever happened. You get to be part of the story. She was not impressed.

Either way: It was very intense.

And the universe giving me a sign to take a break as per my 1000/day resolution to stop driving.

Hopped on the highway after that drive and drove home.

But. Platinum. For what it is worth(less).

End of Story.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
CHRIST ALIVE THAT’S SCARY because that’s my neighbourhood and I drive that stretch to/from home. I’m elated to hear you’re actually OK. When you made the right turn, how did you miss seeing the oncoming fire truck though? Or did he swerve around the lane and come out of nowhere?

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CHRIST ALIVE THAT'S SCARY because that's my neighbourhood and I drive that stretch to/from home. I'm elated to hear you're actually OK. When you made the right turn, how did you miss seeing the oncoming fire truck though? Or did he swerve around the lane and come out of nowhere?
It was a LEFT turn. Not a right turn. And he was barreling south everything flashing. However, due to parked cars, and the general geography of the street, I didn't see him until I made the left turn. Yea, he was in my lane, about to go thru the intersection. We missed each other. Good reflexes on both sides. Nobody was hurt. Ambulance turned right afterwards. It probably felt scarier from being in the middle of it rather than seeing it from the street.

My Car Keys are hung up, and I'm not doing gig-driving, until a week sustained less than 1000 cases per day.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
All this for god daaaaam points!! I hope it was worth it kurt..😈. Jokes aside glad u a okay bud. You just better hope customer don't complain and uber suspends your account again 🤣.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this for god daaaaam points!! I hope it was worth it kurt..😈. Jokes aside glad u a okay bud. You just better hope customer don't complain and uber suspends your account again 🤣.
To be clear: I had my solid reasons for my driving decisions in that situation - I was trying to get out of the way of the incoming (from behind) Ambulance-- whose siren-noise overlapped with fire truck. That is Murphy's Law at its most acute.
To be crystal clear: It is a very real possibility that the passengers may indeed try to have me deactivated. I did scare the shit out of them (figuratively).

We all took a collective 2 minutes with the car parked before finishing the remaining <2 kilometers of the ride. They seemed calm and collected (after multiple apologies from me) when dropped off.

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
So I was 17 points from Platinum this morning, so I turned the UBER App on after noon, looking to get 6 short rides, to lock in Platinum until the end of January 2021.

I got a couple short rides while I did my Sunday errands.

Eventually, I got a ride to the Airport, and then another ride (not a rematch) downtown.

Lakeshore was closed, and traffic was a special kind of Hell on Fleet Street. While i was waiting for many light cycles to turn left onto Ft. York, I heard on the radio that the COVID-19 cases in Ontario had crossed 1000/day for the first time. I thought perfect, I get one more ride on DF, and I hang up the keys until things settle for a while.

On the 6th ride, from Bathurst/FortYork to Church & Charles, PAX dropped their pin on the wrong condo, and I was about to shuffle, after texting the woman and her fella, why I was on Bastion instead of at her Condo, they eventually walked to me. She gives me some flack about the address. I show where she dropped the pin, and that I am exactly where the pin is. I tell them I have no info beyond that, and the ride begins on the wrong foot. The dude really like the interior leather styling of the VOLT, so we talk about that for a bit. I tell them I'm impressed that after 5000 rides, and 3 years of driving, mainly the night shift, that the leather has held up so well. She asks me if anyone has every puked in the car. I tell her that I'm picky about the kind of drunk I may or may not pick up at 3am. She asks me what is the worst thing has happened. I tell her the story about the dude that got in covered in blood on Mercer St. after being in a full street fight. And how I didn't know at the time, as it was dark, lesson learned.

We are driving up Spadina and Turn Onto Wellesley. Traffic Hell Part 2. To make matters worse, as I approach Church street, there is an Ambulance with full sirens and lights coming up behind me (about 6 cars back) as I am at the intersection. There are cars parked on both sides of Wellesley so nowhere to pull over, and it is wall to wall cars behind me. As the light turns yellow, I make my left turn onto Church Street North. Right into an oncoming Fire Engine coming south on Church in the wrong lane. I did not hear the fire truck because of the Ambulance. We miss collision by about 10 cm. Passenger in the back are freaking out. I manage to pull onto the east side of Church to take a breather. I told the lady-pax. Congrats. In all of my 3 years of Gig-Driving, that was the most dangerous thing that ever happened. You get to be part of the story. She was not impressed.

Either way: It was very intense.

And the universe giving me a sign to take a break as per my 1000/day resolution to stop driving.

Hopped on the highway after that drive and drove home.

But. Platinum. For what it is worth(less).

End of Story.
Platinum status and you earned yourself another 1 star. But these are factors beyond your control. Yes, coming that close to meeting your maker is definitely not a good deal. You literally epitomize the concept of driving for points. :frown: :frown: :frown:

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Don't forget to mention it in EVERY other thread afterwards too!:confusion:
Mike misses spending $300 on a bottle of $40 vodka!
To be clear: I had my solid reasons for my driving decisions in that situation - I was trying to get out of the way of the incoming (from behind) Ambulance-- whose siren-noise overlapped with fire truck. That is Murphy's Law at its most acute.
To be crystal clear: It is a very real possibility that the passengers may indeed try to have me deactivated. I did scare the shit out of them (figuratively).

We all took a collective 2 minutes with the car parked before finishing the remaining <2 kilometers of the ride. They seemed calm and collected (after multiple apologies from me) when dropped off.
kurt, I'm thankful no one was hurt man! I've had a few wild ones with pax in the car. Thankfully they shrug it off "wow you handled that great" lol

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts

Passengers don't get us deactivated, they file complaints which in turn can result in a number of actions, including deactivation. But not always. Please let us know if you notice anything in your feedback and if your account needs attention. Did you file a ticket with Uber about the ride?

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Passengers don't get us deactivated, they file complaints which in turn can result in a number of actions, including deactivation. But not always. Please let us know if you notice anything in your feedback and if your account needs attention. Did you file a ticket with Uber about the ride?
No. I didn't file a ticket.
My account is still active at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
We've all had moments we're not proud of while driving with a pax in the car. All it takes is to miss the smallest thing while you're distracted by 5 or more other things. I'd say lately I'm usually distracted by at least 5 things before I've even gotten behind the wheel. These are crazy times.

All you can do is try your best.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts