Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Was curious until I see those rates and know that I can do better either with some surge on Uber or taking Premier trips.

Those ridiculously long rural pick up jobs seem decent, but they are obviously an extreme rarity

plus you want formal attire and water and mints and all the red carpet stuff? Even if you are removing the water mints and newspaper requirement, the formal attire for such low rates is excessive still

Even Premier passengers who often pay surge On top don't have such lofty expectations.

If you were going to double those urban rates I'd probably maybe kind of consider it, but even then two and a half times would be necessary to seal the deal
Formal Attire is not a Suit
We mean a Polo shirt and shoes - no tracksuits / thongs

And no - the rural trips are not a rarity which is why we don't recruit often. They would be in the vicinity of 20-30% of our bookings and alot of our drivers are very long term and running at capacity which is why we are advertising.

Its not realistic to suggest 2-2.5x the base Uber rate - perhaps you can suggest that to a customer next time you drop them off and see if they book you next time!

Formal Attire is not a Suit
We mean a Polo shirt and shoes - no tracksuits / thongs

And no - the rural trips are not a rarity which is why we don't recruit often. They would be in the vicinity of 20-30% of our bookings and alot of our drivers are very long term and running at capacity which is why we are advertising.

Its not realistic to suggest 2-2.5x the base Uber rate - perhaps you can suggest that to a customer next time you drop them off and see if they book you next time!
Not realistic, yet It's what I operate on on a daily basis and have for about 10 months now?

Customers do book me at that rate, every single day, through Uber. And not just one or two.

And you're suggesting a largely inconvenient model (static bookings rather than dynamic) with no extra on top vs uber, where uber has surge, comfort, premier etc.

You seem somewhat unaware of what sort of rates are needed to be profitable and sustainable in 2022 in this industry. Especially when you're asking for SUV's and higher quality sedans, that attract those higher rates on the rideshare apps. XL/SUV trips are 1.5-1.6 base rate. Premier is 2.1, comfort is 1.2.

Your rates are good for 2016, I'll give you that. I will get working on my time machine

Edit: and that's not even mentioning BEA work which is routinely 2.5-4* uber rase rates.

These rates seem to be rather low. I don't know about all of the trips you have listed but I just did a quick check and an Uber X from Robina to the airport (without Surge) is $151 take out the Uber commission of 27.5% and you are left with $109.47 now there will also be a $5 toll in there. Now that is an Uber X, Uber Comfort is $199 comes to $144.27 but that is still not at the standard that GPU want with formal attire, newspapers, water, mints, etc. So you really have to compare it to the Uber Premium $268 comes to $194.30. Now that being said I will not usually take a Brisbane airport job unless it is 1.9x X or more or an 1.6x XL because the chances of getting a ride home are very low. The chances of getting a ride home from GPU would be the same.

So seeing these prices and requirements makes it very unlikely I will be interested in applying.

Thanks for letting us know about the service.

**Beepbeep41 why do you have to be such an incredible rude poster. I like this forum because people are usually more helpful than in the Facebook groups but lately your unhelpful, rude and utterly pointless comments have really been making a lot of the topics head in the wrong direction stop being a keyboard warrior and only reply with reasonable comments in regards to the topics there is no need to post personal attacks on other posters.
unfortunately there seems to be plenty of “opportunistic” Rideshare companies preying on drivers in here. I treat them as I would with someone coming in & steeling my mower because i left my garage door open. We got the answer didn’t we -GPU’s another rip off so they can 🤬 off…

unfortunately there seems to be plenty of “opportunistic” Rideshare companies preying on drivers in here. I treat them as I would with someone coming in & steeling my mower because i left my garage door open. We got the answer didn’t we -GPU’s another rip off so they can 🤬 off…
I've already turned down a couple of private BEA holders who want me to do some work for them

I'm pretty dumb but lacking anywhere near the brain damage required to work for one offering uber tier rates and opaque billing schedules/fees.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Not realistic, yet It's what I operate on on a daily basis and have for about 10 months now?

Customers do book me at that rate, every single day, through Uber. And not just one or two.

And you're suggesting a largely inconvenient model (static bookings rather than dynamic) with no extra on top vs uber, where uber has surge, comfort, premier etc.

You seem somewhat unaware of what sort of rates are needed to be profitable and sustainable in 2022 in this industry. Especially when you're asking for SUV's and higher quality sedans, that attract those higher rates on the rideshare apps. XL/SUV trips are 1.5-1.6 base rate. Premier is 2.1, comfort is 1.2.

Your rates are good for 2016, I'll give you that. I will get working on my time machine

Edit: and that's not even mentioning BEA work which is routinely 2.5-4* uber rase rates.
I noted it was GPU Ride rates which are our equivalent to Uber X - we also have higher rates for People Mover / SUVs.
I provided some rates to stop others winging about lacking transparency.

Each to their own... you might find it inconvenient but it suits others!

I noted it was GPU Ride rates which are our equivalent to Uber X - we also have higher rates for People Mover / SUVs.
I provided some rates to stop others winging about lacking transparency.

Each to their own... you might find it inconvenient but it suits others!
Suits others with less convenience and lower profit.
. Lots of uber drivers accept every trip too, because they don't know any better, and make less money. Similar to the typical GPU driver I would assume

You didn't post rates that I can see? You posted some trip values but not $flag and $rates, nor %fee per suburb/town.

You want a "high quality driver (4.98/499 rating, driving a nice, expensive car) but you want to pay me, what would be, on average, less than what I can get by just plebbing it on uber? And put in more effort?

I'm not trying to be rude, by the way. You have a genuine expectation vs reward problem here.

You are legit offering more effort for less reward. My first trip today was closer to $7/km on-trip. My whole morning was closer to $1.50 including an entire 100km empty drive up the highway.

I drive a tesla, not a people mover/SUV (though I also have an SUV I could use, however, it's too costly in diesel esp especially for the low rates you offer).

You're offering rates that would come close to, or even fall short of, halving what I currently receive simply driving uber, which is already nearing a struggle with current costs of living (AND I have quite reasonable rent for e.g.) come on. Get real.

What's the incentive to make you any money instead?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Suits others with less convenience and lower profit.
. Lots of uber drivers accept every trip too, because they don't know any better, and make less money. Similar to the typical GPU driver I would assume

You didn't post rates that I can see? You posted some trip values but not $flag and $rates, nor %fee per suburb/town.

You want a "high quality driver (4.98/499 rating, driving a nice, expensive car) but you want to pay me, what would be, on average, less than what I can get by just plebbing it on uber? And put in more effort?

I'm not trying to be rude, by the way. You have a genuine expectation vs reward problem here.

You are legit offering more effort for less reward. My first trip today was closer to $7/km on-trip. My whole morning was closer to $1.50 including an entire 100km empty drive up the highway.

I drive a tesla, not a people mover/SUV (though I also have an SUV I could use, however, it's too costly in diesel esp especially for the low rates you offer).

You're offering rates that would come close to, or even fall short of, halving what I currently receive simply driving uber, which is already nearing a struggle with current costs of living (AND I have quite reasonable rent for e.g.) come on. Get real.

What's the incentive to make you any money instead?
1. The rates I provided were for GPU Ride - This is the equivalent of Uber X
2. If you have a Tesla that would qualify for GPU Premium which are higher
3. We also have a surcharge and premium on early morning / late night bookings

I understand what your point is, but consider this - would you book an Uber for 1 weeks time at 1.5-2x Surge rate? its a dead value proposition to the customer.
We need to offer rates that compete with other providers so we don't price ourselves out of the market.

In regards to the full rate - I don't see why it matters as if we are generating the business, paying sales people and fostering relationships and take a cut its not for us to be judged on by a driver. All we are asking you to look at is if you are comfortable with the rate YOU are paid, if you want regular long bookings and an alternative company to work with you can consider signing with us.

I'm not going to argue with a few hours of your working day - your experience is your experience;
" I regularly get surge pricing" so GPU rates suck
"I get X amount per KM for todays ride" so Im not interested...

We have been around for over 11 years and aren't monkeys - everyone wants to compare our rates with the best day they had with another rideshare.... But no one wants to compare having $200 worth of bookings and not having to scrap around for the average $20-30 Uber Fare or that time you sat around for 30mins+ waiting for a job and it didn't come....

If you want to see the rack rates or client charge - feel free to plug those addresses into our website at www.gpu.travel

Daniel you are asking drivers to race to the bottom. The carrot you are offering is a longer trip and therefore more money. But you forget that we have expenses too and while the total trip price sounds great the cost of doing that job reduces your profit margin significantly. You are simply offering better value long trips to your clients than Uber. You take more than Uber and share less with the driver. If the driver had the same trip on Uber they would make more. I have had this discussion with you after my experience driving with you for a very short time. It only took me a few trips to calculate the real data I saw with your service. @flinchy is right that he can earn way more with his car just being on Uber and I found the same years ago. The premium cars on Uber will easily earn more than your rates and you just don't know that yet. Even a Camry gets on Comfort which is a better rate than what you offer. The only drivers that will be able to make more with you will be cars older than 5 years that are not premium cars. Most drivers are starting to figure out how to improve there profit margins and GPU just doesn't stack up even against the rideshare companies. Some drivers even have there own BEA and deal directly with customers. BTW your customers all asked me to deal directly with them after our trips wanting to cut you out of the deal. I hated that and didn't want to deal with them any more as they where just all scabby tight butts trying to screw everyone over. Some of your drivers don't have morals and will accept offers from your customers directly. You have lots of problems with your platform.

I’ve been speaking to the guys near shell at Brisbane airport waiting for customers with their GPU stickers on in their Statesman’s. Their all leaving because their going broke.

I’ve been speaking to the guys near shell at Brisbane airport waiting for customers with their GPU stickers on in their Statesman’s. Their all leaving because their going broke.
Yeh the Hire Car Business has suffered with Covid closing the Borders, losing business and tourist clientele, my friends company sold their cars 6 of , and closed up , the Emirates Contract was good , he did well but it wasn't his Car , he had sold his business and was used to funny hours ,enjoyed the casual work. 😃🙂🙃🙂 🚘 🌳🚗

Discussion starter · #33 ·
You probably mean Holden Caprice - not Stateman's - and if you hadn't noticed the entire corporate car industry has been decimated due to Co-vid / Corporate Travel.
Maybe you should use your nous and get into the detail.... we aren't asking anyone to drive a 6 cylinder vehicle for GPU Ride....

But from other peoples comments it seems you don't drive anymore and just like to try to stir the pot where possible!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Daniel you are asking drivers to race to the bottom. The carrot you are offering is a longer trip and therefore more money. But you forget that we have expenses too and while the total trip price sounds great the cost of doing that job reduces your profit margin significantly. You are simply offering better value long trips to your clients than Uber. You take more than Uber and share less with the driver. If the driver had the same trip on Uber they would make more. I have had this discussion with you after my experience driving with you for a very short time. It only took me a few trips to calculate the real data I saw with your service. @flinchy is right that he can earn way more with his car just being on Uber and I found the same years ago. The premium cars on Uber will easily earn more than your rates and you just don't know that yet. Even a Camry gets on Comfort which is a better rate than what you offer. The only drivers that will be able to make more with you will be cars older than 5 years that are not premium cars. Most drivers are starting to figure out how to improve there profit margins and GPU just doesn't stack up even against the rideshare companies. Some drivers even have there own BEA and deal directly with customers. BTW your customers all asked me to deal directly with them after our trips wanting to cut you out of the deal. I hated that and didn't want to deal with them any more as they where just all scabby tight butts trying to screw everyone over. Some of your drivers don't have morals and will accept offers from your customers directly. You have lots of problems with your platform.
I'm not familiar with who you are as I don't recognise your online name but judging from your comments on our business and our customers you sound like a previous disgruntled driver trying to spread negativity!

We are not asking anyone to race to the bottom...
  1. Our rates are similar to Uber X
  2. We have a minimum fare nearly double the size of the average UberX fare
  3. We have a large number of long distance bookings which many drivers find desirable.
  4. You can compare a 2x surge or more premium services against our base service any day of the week and it is better - but you should be comparing apples to apples.
Why don't you spend a few minutes actually researching the website to see that we have many vehicle selections as well and driver rates vary for each type and time of day... see below;

Automotive parking light Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

I'm not familiar with who you are as I don't recognise your online name but judging from your comments on our business and our customers you sound like a previous disgruntled driver trying to spread negativity!

We are not asking anyone to race to the bottom...
  1. Our rates are similar to Uber X
  2. We have a minimum fare nearly double the size of the average UberX fare
  3. We have a large number of long distance bookings which many drivers find desirable.
  4. You can compare a 2x surge or more premium services against our base service any day of the week and it is better - but you should be comparing apples to apples.
Why don't you spend a few minutes actually researching the website to see that we have many vehicle selections as well and driver rates vary for each type and time of day... see below;

View attachment 659823
Daniel you are actually getting feedback here that could help you improve your business. You are actually dealing with drivers that do rideshare and do it better than most as we have many heated discussions however many of us here will tell you we have improved our business by doing this. This sort of honest feed back is hard to get but you are getting it right now on this forum page. The problem is you are not listening to what the drivers need to make their business work.

We are telling you your rates are too low and we earn more on Uber than we can doing your jobs. We dont want to earn less for the same job. We don't want to fight for jobs with other drivers. We don't want to travel more than 5 mins away from our location to get a job. We want to work when it suits us not when you actually have a job for us.

Drivers are getting hammered with rising expenses such as fuel and insurance costs. Drivers are now filtering trips to overcome the low rates that make the jobs unprofitable and are swaping between all the rideshare platforms to increase there profit margins. Drivers have there own BEA's and make there own bookings as a BEA only costs $250 a year and you can have 5 cars on it. Riders are asking drivers with the nice cars to take them all the time. A Great driver will be doing better than what you are doing and therefore what you are offering isn't better it is worse Great drivers dont want to race to the bottom and make less for more work.

All the drivers here on this forum can use your website and can compare your offerings to jobs they accept on other platforms. If you think we haven't before we respond to you, you are mistaken. The problem is you don't drive and therefore don't compare jobs from a drivers prospective. You only look at jobs from the Riders prospective and only care about meeting there requests for more and pay less. This does not improve the drivers position infact causes us to go backwards. Anyone can sell a cheaper fare with a better car and higher expectations to a rider.

Here is the last job I did on Uber. I'll directly compare it for you with your own website. The pieces that you are missing is that drivers now filter and don't take jobs that are not worth while on any platform. I can assure you that other drivers can all do the same and post many jobs like this one. Most of us just could not be bothered in helping you improve your business instead we will laugh at you and stir you up for entertainment while we filter for jobs. To put this in prospective the screen shot ill show you is after ubers cut as that is what we see from the job details after we accept and complete the job. Your is from your webpage without your cut taken off whatever that maybe as you have so many non transparent rates that are diliberately to hard to disclose to the drivers.

Sky World Map Line Font

Automotive parking light Product Font Material property Screenshot

A good driver the ones you want do this and as you can see it kills your rates even before you take your cut whatever that may be. I am a very casual driver but @flinchy isnt and i am sure he would shock you with screenshots that would make your offer seem stupid. Anyway here is one example and I can show you literally all my jobs and they are better than what you offer.

You probably mean Holden Caprice - not Stateman's - and if you hadn't noticed the entire corporate car industry has been decimated due to Co-vid / Corporate Travel.
Maybe you should use your nous and get into the detail.... we aren't asking anyone to drive a 6 cylinder vehicle for GPU Ride....

But from other peoples comments it seems you don't drive anymore and just like to try to stir the pot where possible!
very unprofessional to bite like
You do😂

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Daniel you are actually getting feedback here that could help you improve your business. You are actually dealing with drivers that do rideshare and do it better than most as we have many heated discussions however many of us here will tell you we have improved our business by doing this. This sort of honest feed back is hard to get but you are getting it right now on this forum page. The problem is you are not listening to what the drivers need to make their business work.

We are telling you your rates are too low and we earn more on Uber than we can doing your jobs. We dont want to earn less for the same job. We don't want to fight for jobs with other drivers. We don't want to travel more than 5 mins away from our location to get a job. We want to work when it suits us not when you actually have a job for us.

Drivers are getting hammered with rising expenses such as fuel and insurance costs. Drivers are now filtering trips to overcome the low rates that make the jobs unprofitable and are swaping between all the rideshare platforms to increase there profit margins. Drivers have there own BEA's and make there own bookings as a BEA only costs $250 a year and you can have 5 cars on it. Riders are asking drivers with the nice cars to take them all the time. A Great driver will be doing better than what you are doing and therefore what you are offering isn't better it is worse Great drivers dont want to race to the bottom and make less for more work.

All the drivers here on this forum can use your website and can compare your offerings to jobs they accept on other platforms. If you think we haven't before we respond to you, you are mistaken. The problem is you don't drive and therefore don't compare jobs from a drivers prospective. You only look at jobs from the Riders prospective and only care about meeting there requests for more and pay less. This does not improve the drivers position infact causes us to go backwards. Anyone can sell a cheaper fare with a better car and higher expectations to a rider.

Here is the last job I did on Uber. I'll directly compare it for you with your own website. The pieces that you are missing is that drivers now filter and don't take jobs that are not worth while on any platform. I can assure you that other drivers can all do the same and post many jobs like this one. Most of us just could not be bothered in helping you improve your business instead we will laugh at you and stir you up for entertainment while we filter for jobs. To put this in prospective the screen shot ill show you is after ubers cut as that is what we see from the job details after we accept and complete the job. Your is from your webpage without your cut taken off whatever that maybe as you have so many non transparent rates that are diliberately to hard to disclose to the drivers.

View attachment 659909

View attachment 659910

A good driver the ones you want do this and as you can see it kills your rates even before you take your cut whatever that may be. I am a very casual driver but @flinchy isnt and i am sure he would shock you with screenshots that would make your offer seem stupid. Anyway here is one example and I can show you literally all my jobs and they are better than what you offer.
I just put that booking in and its quoting me $26.88 - so again you compare a ~1.75x surge to our base rates.... We don't surge, and we can't offer those rates.

You are entitled to your opinion and to drive the way you choose.
There are a number of drivers who are signing up with us as a result of these posts with long term Uber experience and high ratings so other people clearly think differently to you.

Cheers for the feedback.

I just put that booking in and its quoting me $26.88 - so again you compare a ~1.75x surge to our base rates.... We don't surge, and we can't offer those rates.

You are entitled to your opinion and to drive the way you choose.
There are a number of drivers who are signing up with us as a result of these posts with long term Uber experience and high ratings so other people clearly think differently to you.

Cheers for the feedback.
That is what you are missing. As you don't drive you dont understand what really is happening and you are basing your information on Websites. As I have said drivers are filtering trips and will not accept jobs that are unprofitable. Drivers are canceling and not accepting jobs often on all rideshare platforms as it has become a necessity to do it or you will lose money. This is due to rideshare companies competing with price to win the riders business and race to the bottom. Also the recent inflationary effects from Covid and the War has exasperated drivers expense making base rates unviable. Drivers can't make a profit on most trips and will filter jobs (not do them). If you work your rates from the base rates calculated on Ubers site you are not seeing what really is happening. All the drivers in this thread have told you, you just haven't understood it or have ignored it. If you want respect from the drivers and to get all the great drivers you will need to do better as these drivers here are doing it way better than you are. You are not competative compared to what drivers here are doing and we can prove it with as many screen shots as you like. A driver that accepts an unprofitable trip is not a great driver and the market segment you are in Uber is a much better option for drivers with the quality car you expect and the level of service you expect.

As for the drivers you are recruiting they are not the best drivers they are the drivers who don't have the energy to improve their business and want someone to offer them long trips as they couldn't be bothered filtering.

It is easy to compare rates and ignore the drivers. I am glad you are getting all these drivers but you can't offer me better than what I currently do. Why would a driver doing better than what you offer join up. They will compete against you with their own BEA and take the booking. That after all is all you do for me as a driver get a booking. You dont pay for the real expenses but take more than what the driver can earn.

Just read more of the forum and you will see drivers have been filtering for years now and have worked out ways to be profitable. Literally this forum is a gold mine for any rideshare operator to improve their business model.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
That is what you are missing. As you don't drive you dont understand what really is happening and you are basing your information on Websites. As I have said drivers are filtering trips and will not accept jobs that are unprofitable. Drivers are canceling and not accepting jobs often on all rideshare platforms as it has become a necessity to do it or you will lose money. This is due to rideshare companies competing with price to win the riders business and race to the bottom. Also the recent inflationary effects from Covid and the War has exasperated drivers expense making base rates unviable. Drivers can't make a profit on most trips and will filter jobs (not do them). If you work your rates from the base rates calculated on Ubers site you are not seeing what really is happening. All the drivers in this thread have told you, you just haven't understood it or have ignored it. If you want respect from the drivers and to get all the great drivers you will need to do better as these drivers here are doing it way better than you are. You are not competative compared to what drivers here are doing and we can prove it with as many screen shots as you like. A driver that accepts an unprofitable trip is not a great driver and the market segment you are in Uber is a much better option for drivers with the quality car you expect and the level of service you expect.

As for the drivers you are recruiting they are not the best drivers they are the drivers who don't have the energy to improve their business and want someone to offer them long trips as they couldn't be bothered filtering.

It is easy to compare rates and ignore the drivers. I am glad you are getting all these drivers but you can't offer me better than what I currently do. Why would a driver doing better than what you offer join up. They will compete against you with their own BEA and take the booking. That after all is all you do for me as a driver get a booking. You dont pay for the real expenses but take more than what the driver can earn.

Just read more of the forum and you will see drivers have been filtering for years now and have worked out ways to be profitable. Literally this forum is a gold mine for any rideshare operator to improve their business model.
Some drivers are "filtering" as you say.... but thats not how everyone operates - if its not surging, sitting around waiting for a surging booking can get tedious and unproductive... alot of people don't want to be constantly under the pump with multiple small bookings... they much prefer 2-3 longer bookings with customers they travel regularly with

I think you are caught up in believing there is "1 best way to operate" and you don't recognise that different customers and drivers are attracted to different business models - there are many segments within the market which appeal to different people.

The biggest piece of the puzzle in my view that you miss is the fact that we can't be sustainable and raise the driver rates without rising the rates to the customer making it uncompetitive and undesireable for them to book with us.

Its a slim margin business its not as simple as charging the customer more paying the driver more and making a sustainable business out of it... Thats also one of the reasones why Uber has never made a profit yet.

You are in the seat of just selecting bookings coming to you and deciding what best suits your income... and I have no problem with that.
I suggest your view would change significantly if you go out and try to sign on large corporate clients (not just individual passengers) and listen to what is important to them and what they do/dont want.

Since we started the business we have heard everyones feedback on how to improve the business and people would make their own BEA and I have always told people that if they genuinely believe that they can do it better - to go out and do it... all power to them!

Some drivers are "filtering" as you say.... but thats not how everyone operates - if its not surging, sitting around waiting for a surging booking can get tedious and unproductive... alot of people don't want to be constantly under the pump with multiple small bookings... they much prefer 2-3 longer bookings with customers they travel regularly with

I think you are caught up in believing there is "1 best way to operate" and you don't recognise that different customers and drivers are attracted to different business models - there are many segments within the market which appeal to different people.

The biggest piece of the puzzle in my view that you miss is the fact that we can't be sustainable and raise the driver rates without rising the rates to the customer making it uncompetitive and undesireable for them to book with us.

Its a slim margin business its not as simple as charging the customer more paying the driver more and making a sustainable business out of it... Thats also one of the reasones why Uber has never made a profit yet.

You are in the seat of just selecting bookings coming to you and deciding what best suits your income... and I have no problem with that.
I suggest your view would change significantly if you go out and try to sign on large corporate clients (not just individual passengers) and listen to what is important to them and what they do/dont want.

Since we started the business we have heard everyones feedback on how to improve the business and people would make their own BEA and I have always told people that if they genuinely believe that they can do it better - to go out and do it... all power to them!
you cam take less commission but cant you cheapskate

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.