Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I bet you a dollar that every headless chicken, aehm, driver posting all these panicky threads about coronavirus, every one of them fools who buy TP on eBay for $10 per roll, and the vast majority of folks who reside in California have either no, or an expired earthquake emergency preparedness kit.

The simple, objective fact is that the big one, long delayed, and statistically due any day, will kill, maim and make destitute more Californians than this novel flu virus can through five flu seasons.

Yet, humans being simpletons, that kind of statistical weighing of known risks - and coming up with an EFFECTIVE and COMPREHENSIVE risk mitigation strategy - is alien to most.

Otherwise most coronavirus doom posters wouldn't be drivers in the first place: putting yourself out there in LA traffic in your small or mid-sized car, for hours on end, day after day, night after night, so increases your risk for bodily harm and economic ruin, THAT risk is hard to justify given the monetary rewards handed out by the rideshare duopoly.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Why are people even complaining about "panic buying" at ALL? Being prepared is now something to laugh at? While the government and anyone with more than 2 braincells knows it's a good idea to be prepared for a natural disaster or unforeseen situations. What's the problem with it right now? Are the supply chains cut off? It should be a good thing. People are spending their money and pushing the economy. If people buy all of it, there are tons of warehouses full of water, tp and hand sanitizer. No one is stopping the trucks from loading them and sending them to grocery stores and your freakin costco. Order more, make more money. There is no real lack of supply at this moment. Every home should have a wall of bottled water, tp, and cans of spam on in their garage.

The reason people are buying the bottled water is that not only is it portable, they can throw a pack of that into their trunk. It's something they probably buy once every month or two. Buy it now rather than go out when the infection rate is much higher. Yes our water supply can get interrupted and become contaminated.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I bet you a dollar that every headless chicken, aehm, driver posting all these panicky threads about coronavirus, every one of them fools who buy TP on eBay for $10 per roll, and the vast majority of folks who reside in California have either no, or an expired earthquake emergency preparedness kit.

The simple, objective fact is that the big one, long delayed, and statistically due any day, will kill, maim and make destitute more Californians than this novel flu virus can through five flu seasons.

Yet, humans being simpletons, that kind of statistical weighing of known risks - and coming up with an EFFECTIVE and COMPREHENSIVE risk mitigation strategy - is alien to most.

Otherwise most coronavirus doom posters wouldn't be drivers in the first place: putting yourself out there in LA traffic in your small or mid-sized car, for hours on end, day after day, night after night, so increases your risk for bodily harm and economic ruin, THAT risk is hard to justify given the monetary rewards handed out by the rideshare duopoly.
The exact people with your thought are the same people who are spreading it to everyone because you think somehow your above the world and your invinsible...

Keep saying this is nothing. So the rest of the world is just panicking. They shutting their whole country down and losing billions everyday by doing it but they just doing it for fun.
We have hundreds dying everyday but to you its nothing because no one u know has been affected by it.
Good thing im not God because if i was i would teach you a lesson.
Or maybe u have a idgaf mentality because you have no family so it cant affect you. If thats the case you are right. This wont affect you at all.

Right now plane tickets and hotels all over the world are cheap as ever been. You can fly to LV roundtrip for 50$ n 100$ to NY. Few hundred to Rome.
Why dont you book a trip and go on a vacay?
This is your time to shine...

Ahh i forgot u drive too...so u must be broke like me.

🤷‍♂

·
Banned
3,535 Posts

Not really. California's faults are strike/slip faults, not subduction faults. This means they can't produce the kinds of earthquakes we've seen in Indonesia and Chile. California's earthquakes can't pass the high 8's. A 9 is pretty much the absolute highest possible but not very probable at all.

It's definitely good to have the kits and supplies but the damage will be much less than people think. Also, the "Big One" will have a focal point, not blow up all over the state.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Why are people even complaining about "panic buying" at ALL? Being prepared is now something to laugh at? While the government and anyone with more than 2 braincells knows it's a good idea to be prepared for a natural disaster or unforeseen situations. What's the problem with it right now? Are the supply chains cut off? It should be a good thing. People are spending their money and pushing the economy. If people buy all of it, there are tons of warehouses full of water, tp and hand sanitizer. No one is stopping the trucks from loading them and sending them to grocery stores and your freakin costco. Order more, make more money. There is no real lack of supply at this moment. Every home should have a wall of bottled water, tp, and cans of spam on in their garage.

The reason people are buying the bottled water is that not only is it portable, they can throw a pack of that into their trunk. It's something they probably buy once every month or two. Buy it now rather than go out when the infection rate is much higher. Yes our water supply can get interrupted and become contaminated.
Contaminated how? Because someone sneezed in it?
The water hoarding has nothing to do with whats been talked about for 25 years in being prepared.. it's some weird thinking that the water is going to be shut off

·
Premium Member
Chevrolet Suburban
4,530 Posts
I usually by 4 - 5 cases of bottle water, it my main drinking source, I am down to a case and a half, and of course have not been able to stock up, so I am boiling water and using my Brita water filter.....

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Reactions: RogerJS

·
Registered
847 Posts
Reactions: RogerJS

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The exact people with your thought are the same people who are spreading it to everyone because you think somehow your above the world and your invinsible...
The exact people who are afflicted by irrational hysteria also often suffer other disorders, such as, in your case, an unfortunate deficiency in reading comprehension.
I don't think of myself as 'invinsible'. I actually expect to eventually catch COVID-19, since I am in an at-risk group as a rideshare driver. I also deem my risk of significant health issues from such an infection low, since I'm relatively young and otherwise very healthy. In my cohort, COVID-19 generally does not present symptoms worse than those of common influenza.

The point I keep trying to make, and which so few on here seem to understand, is that COVID-19 is a risk not unlike other risks we are constantly exposed to: influenza, extreme earthquake risk, wildfires, traffic deaths and disabilities. But none of you freak out about these other risks, in fact, you - in the vast majority - completely fail to prepare yourself even in the least for all the other dangers you objectively face, day in and day out, doing your Ubering and living in sunny SoCal (do you use sunscreen?).

So these panic purchases of toilet paper is arbitrary, panic-driven behavior, not rational.

I assess all risks and try to prepare for them rationally, as I now do for COVID-19. I got my flu shot against influenza, I have an earthquake kit, store 5 gallons of water which I replace each year, I carry sufficient insurance to protect me against financial ruin from ridesharing, I exercise to combat the sedentary nature of being a driver, I disinfected my car I use for ridesharing before COVID-19 even became part of your vocabulary. Why? Because there are tons of other illnesses out there that you must consider as rideshare driver.
Did I have to buy disinfectant spray at sky high prices now? No, because I had a half dozen cans bought for regular rideshare use long before the media made you lose your head about coronavirus. I can easily draw down those supplies for another couple months, I don't need to panic-buy because I already was prepared.

So I am dealing as best as I can with COVID-19 now. I disinfect, I wash my hands, but as I need to earn some money right now, I cannot completely avoid the risk of getting into contact with the virus.

And neither can you, even if you freak out and horde TP. Consider:

Have you filled up your tank recently?
Have you touched and purchased produce in your local supermarket?
Have you opened the box of food you had delivered, to avoid having to go to the restaurant?
Have you opened your mail today?

If you've done any of these things today, you could have contracted COVID-19. And you may well contract COVID-19, and then not die from it. The vast majority of people infected by it won't. Failing to prep for the Big One, driving rideshare in LA traffic, sitting in your car all day and eating from the drive-thru, those are things that may very well kill you, however, but you're not panic-buying TP for those risks, are you?

·
Banned
890 Posts
The exact people who are afflicted by irrational hysteria also often suffer other disorders, such as, in your case, an unfortunate deficiency in reading comprehension.
I don't think of myself as 'invinsible'. I actually expect to eventually catch COVID-19, since I am in an at-risk group as a rideshare driver. I also deem my risk of significant health issues from such an infection low, since I'm relatively young and otherwise very healthy. In my cohort, COVID-19 generally does not present symptoms worse than those of common influenza.

The point I keep trying to make, and which so few on here seem to understand, is that COVID-19 is a risk not unlike other risks we are constantly exposed to: influenza, extreme earthquake risk, wildfires, traffic deaths and disabilities. But none of you freak out about these other risks, in fact, you - in the vast majority - completely fail to prepare yourself even in the least for all the other dangers you objectively face, day in and day out, doing your Ubering and living in sunny SoCal (do you use sunscreen?).

So these panic purchases of toilet paper is arbitrary, panic-driven behavior, not rational.

I assess all risks and try to prepare for them rationally, as I now do for COVID-19. I got my flu shot against influenza, I have an earthquake kit, store 5 gallons of water which I replace each year, I carry sufficient insurance to protect me against financial ruin from ridesharing, I exercise to combat the sedentary nature of being a driver, I disinfected my car I use for ridesharing before COVID-19 even became part of your vocabulary. Why? Because there are tons of other illnesses out there that you must consider as rideshare driver.
Did I have to buy disinfectant spray at sky high prices now? No, because I had a half dozen cans bought for regular rideshare use long before the media made you lose your head about coronavirus. I can easily draw down those supplies for another couple months, I don't need to panic-buy because I already was prepared.

So I am dealing as best as I can with COVID-19 now. I disinfect, I wash my hands, but as I need to earn some money right now, I cannot completely avoid the risk of getting into contact with the virus.

And neither can you, even if you freak out and horde TP. Consider:

Have you filled up your tank recently?
Have you touched and purchased produce in your local supermarket?
Have you opened the box of food you had delivered, to avoid having to go to the restaurant?
Have you opened your mail today?

If you've done any of these things today, you could have contracted COVID-19. And you may well contract COVID-19, and then not die from it. The vast majority of people infected by it won't. Failing to prep for the Big One, driving rideshare in LA traffic, sitting in your car all day and eating from the drive-thru, those are things that may very well kill you, however, but you're not panic-buying TP for those risks, are you?
Too long of a response.
You win.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Not really. California's faults are strike/slip faults, not subduction faults. This means they can't produce the kinds of earthquakes we've seen in Indonesia and Chile. California's earthquakes can't pass the high 8's. A 9 is pretty much the absolute highest possible but not very probable at all.

It's definitely good to have the kits and supplies but the damage will be much less than people think. Also, the "Big One" will have a focal point, not blow up all over the state.
The 86 San Francisco quake knocked buildings over in So Cal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.