Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weird situation tonight.

Got a ping down on Pratt St. 10 minute drive, 4.6x surge. Address was a range, texted the driver asking if he could be more specific due to the amount of traffic, I didn't want to miss him. No response, oh well.

Got to the location. No one there. Called him, hung up on me. Called back, said I was Greg from Uber. He said "I have no idea what your talking about."

I hung up, cancelled the trip as rider no show, moved on.

So what do you think? It's impossible to butt dial an uber. Maybe his wife was using his account?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the funny part. Somehow the Uber number still worked for him. He called me Sunday morning and told me he lost his wallet. Apparently an Uber driver street hailed him, and drove him off the meter, and he left his wallet in the car, and doesn't know how to contact the Uber driver since he paid him under the table.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here's the funny part. Somehow the Uber number still worked for him. He called me Sunday morning and told me he lost his wallet. Apparently an Uber driver street hailed him, and drove him off the meter, and he left his wallet in the car, and doesn't know how to contact the Uber driver since he paid him under the table.
LOL . ... and Karma kicked his cheap ass

Reactions: TwoFiddyMile

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drove Uber for the first time yesterday. Not one tip. And I have a card reader just in case. No, I didn't ask as we aren't supposed to. But boy are people cheap! So is Uber and the compensation. Uber is making all the $$$ while drivers take all the risk and absorb all the over head. I was disappointed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
uberunion I hit 137 rides Monday and have only had one tip and I probably wouldn't have received that except for the fact that the pax told me to go a different way and it ended up taking much longer (in minutes, not miles) than Google Maps said due to stadium traffic which I warned her about. I think she felt stupid for doubting me and Google Maps, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
uberunion I hit 137 rides Monday and have only had one tip and I probably wouldn't have received that except for the fact that the pax told me to go a different way and it ended up taking much longer (in minutes, not miles) than Google Maps said due to stadium traffic which I warned her about. I think she felt stupid for doubting me and Google Maps, lol.
Are you making any money doing it? I did 10 fares in like 6 hours and my take was 57.87. I don't see that being profitable after gas and wear and tear and my time. What's you opinion?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had a couple good days but mostly I'm making about $12 an hour after gas and car expenses. I'm going to add Lyft and see if that helps any. This is a very temporary thing for me to pay off $8000 in debt sending my daughter to rehab. I have 2 cars and it's only me so I can put miles on the new Toyota every other weekend (that's my availability Friday - Sunday every other week) and drive my Buick the rest of the time for my regular job. I figure her rehab will be paid off in about 5 months between the two jobs and then I'll be done. But no, it's certainly not the money they say you'll make. Thankfully, I had found this site beforehand and knew that from the get go. There's just nothing else ic an do with such limited availability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a couple good days but mostly I'm making about $12 an hour after gas and car expenses. I'm going to add Lyft and see if that helps any. This is a very temporary thing for me to pay off $8000 in debt sending my daughter to rehab. I have 2 cars and it's only me so I can put miles on the new Toyota every other weekend (that's my availability Friday - Sunday every other week) and drive my Buick the rest of the time for my regular job. I figure her rehab will be paid off in about 5 months between the two jobs and then I'll be done. But no, it's certainly not the money they say you'll make. Thankfully, I had found this site beforehand and knew that from the get go. There's just nothing else ic an do with such limited availability.
Thanks for your honesty. I knew anything too good to be true usually is. It's basically only good for extra pocket money, so I won't leave a ceratin area to do Uber. I'm not chasing. I will work within a 25 mile radius unless a person needs to go farther.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I live in Bel Air so I have to drive or it would take forever to get a ping. I usually go online and head down Rt 1 and pick up a few rides in the White Marsh area, end up in Towson/Timonium and get into the city after 6 - 8 rides. I don't drive around anymore at all. I drop off, find a place to park, and wait. Sometimes I wait 2 minutes, sometimes 10, but I'm not wasting my gas. Plus, it never fails, as soon as you start driving out of the area, a ping brings you right back, lol. Might as well stay put.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I do this very part time to help offset some college expenses for my kid. I have found that the more you drive, the less you make. Meaning that your hourly income decreases the more time you put in. Uber is bullshit. Good luck with your daughter. Use Uber to pay the rehab and get out while you still have a chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I'm right there with ya just doing this for christmas and then goin to ride for order up pays more and only have to deliver food

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude it really sucks because they paint such a pretty line. I've heard so many nightmare stories of ex cabbies going to drive uber and are so disappointed witth he income that they leave, but they burned bridges with the previous taxi and it becomes hard for them to find work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drove Uber for the first time yesterday. Not one tip. And I have a card reader just in case. No, I didn't ask as we aren't supposed to. But boy are people cheap! So is Uber and the compensation. Uber is making all the $$$ while drivers take all the risk and absorb all the over head. I was disappointed.
Where did you get the idea to expect tips? Are you a cab driver?
Uber tells drivers to refuse tips.
They tell riders that everything is included on their credit card, no cash needed and no place in the app for tips.

I've only received tips twice. Once was for working in a holiday. The other was for helping an old lady with a heavy bag.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I did Uber for about 9 months. Probably got about 15-20 tips total. It's not common and we're not supposed to ask.

When I take an Uber, I usually tip (not always, sometimes it's already 2x surge or other times the service is legitimately bad.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts