Uber Drivers Forum banner

Here I sit

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Jonathan Carter 
#1 ·
Everything is blowing up, yet here I sit with no pings.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Uber just acknowledged that they use fake maps as a passive/aggressive way to make undesirable pax give up on getting a ride. It's not a huge leap to think that they are making fake surge maps to get drivers to stage in certain areas.
Nor would it be that far of a stretch to think that Lyft makes fake maps and screens undesirable pax(s) as well.

Everything is blowing up, yet here I sit with no pings.
I've had Lyft (in addition to Uber) do that to me too. Don't waste gas chasing clouds.

#12 ·
Uber just acknowledged that they use fake maps as a passive/aggressive way to make undesirable pax give up on getting a ride. It's not a huge leap to think that they are making fake surge maps to get drivers to stage in certain areas.
I really believe that they do this......I usually only drive XL only but every now and then when it shows surge on X I switch over to accept both.....so right in the middle of a 3.8x surge it comes up as a regular X so I let it time out....then another one only a block away which should have been 4.1x comes in as regular. So either it is fake surge or the passenger is being charged the surge rate and uber is hoping you accept so they keep most of it. With all the other shady things they do I would not be surprised. But lately the airport in the evening has been good for me on XL once it starts to surge on X. Been averaging $110 for every 3 to 3.5 hours from 9pm till 12:30 am

#13 ·
Why.....are you even worrying about, or giving a damn about surging and chasing surges? I learned a long time ago to "just take the ping". I made a LOT more money doing that than trying to "mapsturbate" a surge.

The surges are 50-50...either you get 'em or you don't. Stressing over it like you're trying to nail a prom date is about as useful as hen shit on a pump handle.

Quit whining and drive...or not.

It's all about what you cash out at the end of the night.

#14 ·
Well, looks like it's not because of your rating then JH because it's a 100%.
I know that rating does effect who gets the ping though, because, it's happened to me and several drivers where the guy with the highest rating got the ping when in a pack of other drivers.

But, what happened to you, has happened to me too where, like you, no ping even though I was totally surrounded by a surge, but not in the 2 block area where I was.

For example, this last January I was right in the middle of a 3.7 surge in downtown Portland during snow storms.
At least 10 times times in downtown Portland, Uber obstructed me from getting a pax at 3.7 where I was located in the sea of red by pinging me 7 10 or 17 minutes away at 1.7-2.6 multiplier.
Or, they would put me on ice, and block me from getting a ping, when I was in a sea of red until more Uber drivers showed up.
I would sit in horror and watch the bright red surge, me in the middle, (without so much as a ping) and within minutes, the sea of red turns orange, then, yellow killing the 4.0 surge.

I believe Uber does this so pax will not complain too much about being charged by a factor of 3-6 times or more.

It seems like the thing Uber hates the most, (ironically) is bad press because of surge pricing which, is often portrayed in the news as price gouging. Oddly, even at the expense of profits.
Unfortunately for us TNC drivers, they let the narrative get away from them a long time ago. They've done a terrible job of explaining why surge pricing is beneficial to their customers.

#15 ·
Why.....are you even worrying about, or giving a damn about surging and chasing surges? I learned a long time ago to "just take the ping". I made a LOT more money doing that than trying to "mapsturbate" a surge.

The surges are 50-50...either you get 'em or you don't. Stressing over it like you're trying to nail a prom date is about as useful as hen shit on a pump handle.

Quit whining and drive...or not.

It's all about what you cash out at the end of the night.
Nope it's not just about this simple sentence: "It's all about what you cash out at the end of the night."

It's more like this: "It's all about what you cash out at the end of the night MINUS your expenses DIVIDED by how much time you worked"

And the more that I refuse Non-Surge rides the better that it is for you all that want to just cash out and don't care about making a profit. See, I am helping you.....you owe me big time! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.