Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I started driving with Uber about 3 weeks ago, and the flexibility, and the money has been a real blessing,since I'd recently lost my job.
Today I was dropping off at the airport and was approached by a civilian with a picture ID and a shirt that read 'Transportation Security'. He went off on me about being shameless for showing up at the airport, because supposedly Uber is breaking the law, and the airport is a private property- not funded by the tax-payers-, and that he's recorded my license plate number, and if he'd see me again, I would be arrested and fined.
I'm kind of freaked out now, since the airport rides were my "bread and butter" trips so far. I don't drive too much in the evenings, or on the weekends, because I'm a mom.
Any advice?
Had anyone else had this happen?
What should I do if I get airport requests, do you think I should cancel them?
Help!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You should check with uber in your city. Some airports only allow drop offs and no pick up. As long as you aren't doing anything illegal they can't arrest you. Remember he's just a rent-a-cop probably trying to scare you. Email uber and find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should check with uber in your city. Some airports only allow drop offs and no pick up. As long as you aren't doing anything illegal they can't arrest you. Remember he's just a rent-a-cop probably trying to scare you. Email uber and find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'd emailed Uber right away. This is the response I received:

"Thank you for being patient about what happened especially that many jurisdictions have not yet determined if or how to regulate innovative new services like Uber. We are actively working with the appropriate regulatory bodies to provide that clarity for our riders and partners.
But no worries, there is no need to seek legal advice and should you ever receive any fines or summons because of your use of the Uber app, please send us a copy right away and we will follow up with you. As of this time, please take note that UberX partners can ONLY drop off passengers at the airport."

I didn't find it too re-assuring. Am I being too paranoid?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, I think this one might depend on what u want to do honestly. It's not illegal to drop off pax according to uber, so there shouldn't be any problem. Like I said, he wasn't a real cop, so he can't tell you that you'll get arrested or fined. If it were me, I would continue to drop off pax, just make sure to not break any laws like blocking lanes or anything. But if u feel paranoid then maybe stay off airports for a while. Again, I wouldn't change a thing. A little while back I had a similar experience, but in my case it was a civilian that was mad uber was taking his taxi business away. He also told me it was illegal but I told him I was dropping off, which was perfectly legal and drove off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think this one might depend on what u want to do honestly. It's not illegal to drop off pax according to uber, so there shouldn't be any problem. Like I said, he wasn't a real cop, so he can't tell you that you'll get arrested or fined. If it were me, I would continue to drop off pax, just make sure to not break any laws like blocking lanes or anything. But if u feel paranoid then maybe stay off airports for a while. Again, I wouldn't change a thing. A little while back I had a similar experience, but in my case it was a civilian that was mad uber was taking his taxi business away. He also told me it was illegal but I told him I was dropping off, which was perfectly legal and drove off.
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond !

·
Super Moderator
16,088 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I'd emailed Uber right away. This is the response I received:

"Thank you for being patient about what happened especially that many jurisdictions have not yet determined if or how to regulate innovative new services like Uber. We are actively working with the appropriate regulatory bodies to provide that clarity for our riders and partners.
But no worries, there is no need to seek legal advice and should you ever receive any fines or summons because of your use of the Uber app, please send us a copy right away and we will follow up with you. As of this time, please take note that UberX partners can ONLY drop off passengers at the airport."

I didn't find it too re-assuring. Am I being too paranoid?
Uber will generally pay the fines, but not always.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber...ions-like-they-say-they-do.28301/#post-366107

Just make sure you stay on top of Uber to pay fines. If they don't, you should pay them, then ask to be reimbursed.

The "security person" doesn't sound like he was a real agent of the airport. I can see someone maybe writing down license plates and such, but saying you were shameless driving for uber, doesn't quite sound right.

Did you read what his picture ID said?

Reactions: Virtuoso

·
Banned
4,953 Posts
Hello all,

I started driving with Uber about 3 weeks ago, and the flexibility, and the money has been a real blessing,since I'd recently lost my job.
Today I was dropping off at the airport and was approached by a civilian with a picture ID and a shirt that read 'Transportation Security'. He went off on me about being shameless for showing up at the airport, because supposedly Uber is breaking the law, and the airport is a private property- not funded by the tax-payers-, and that he's recorded my license plate number, and if he'd see me again, I would be arrested and fined.
I'm kind of freaked out now, since the airport rides were my "bread and butter" trips so far. I don't drive too much in the evenings, or on the weekends, because I'm a mom.
Any advice?
Had anyone else had this happen?
What should I do if I get airport requests, do you think I should cancel them?
Help!
Uber is not legal anywhere in St' Louis. They are technically breaking state laws that only pertain to St Louis bought and paid for by taxi companies. That being said, the cops aren't going to enforce these laws and have said so, Uber will pay your tickets if you are following their rules, and the Taxicab Commission will lose this battle.

The Airport is owned by the City of St Louis so he was lying to you.

This is from THEIR website:

Home > About Lambert > Lambert Facts
Lambert Facts

Lambert is owned and operated by the City of St. Louis and is located 11 miles northwest of downtown St. Louis along I-70 between I-170 and I-270 in St. Louis County. The airport controls approximately 3970 acres of land: 1845 acres inside a secured operating area (2.8 square miles). Another 2125 acres are owned outside of fenced area (3.3 square miles).

I doubt the person who approached you was with the airport. It was probably a cabbie or a cab company employee. Next time I HIGHLY SUGGEST you start videoing him with your phone and his "badge" and ask who he is with, his name and badge number, and what he wants, ON video, for the news, the City, your lawyer, and Uber. He will go away fast. The airport has no dog in this fight unless you are picking up there. They make their money on pickups, not drop offs. DO NOT pick up there or all bets are off. They CAN take your car and levy hefty fines.

I have a dual camera dash cam, a lighted sign in my window, and magnetic Uber signs. No one has ever come up to me at airport dropoffs. God help them if they do because I will start videoing, follow them around demanding answers and grab a cop to find out who this imposter is. If he's NOT an imposter, that may be even worse for him. It means he's probably being paid to harass drivers.

If you are worried, call the airport, ask for airport security and tell them you think you were approached by an imposter and what happened and see what they say. If you want me to do it, I will.

·
Registered
116 Posts
**** em. I drop off at the airport all the time. No problems at all. They can't stop us from dropping people off as long as we're not doing anything illegal.
Don't worry about it and keep on dropping off. The only thing we can't do is pick up, it's black car only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you read what his picture ID said?[/QUOTE]

I didn't read it. He caught me off guard,and he was so pumped,yelling, spit coming out of his mouth. I guess he figured out he could easily intimidate the clueless little lady...makes me mad just thinking about it now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know what...I'm so pissed, I'm taking a friend in the morning and we are going to pose as Uber and a passenger, while not actually being on the app, over and over and nail this a-hole.
LOL. I like you! If I catch a glimpse of the guy again, I'll take his picture and post it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uber is not legal anywhere in St' Louis. They are technically breaking state laws that only pertain to St Louis bought and paid for by taxi companies. That being said, the cops aren't going to enforce these laws and have said so, Uber will pay your tickets if you are following their rules, and the Taxicab Commission will lose this battle.
The Airport is owned by the City of St Louis so he was lying to you.
I doubt the person who approached you was with the airport. It was probably a cabbie or a cab company employee. Next time I HIGHLY SUGGEST you start videoing him with your phone and his "badge" and ask who he is with, his name and badge number, and what he wants, ON video, for the news, the City, your lawyer, and Uber. He will go away fast. The airport has no dog in this fight unless you are picking up there. They make their money on pickups, not drop offs. DO NOT pick up there or all bets are off. They CAN take your car and levy hefty fines.

If you are worried, call the airport, ask for airport security and tell them you think you were approached by an imposter and what happened and see what they say. If you want me to do it, I will.
Thanks, this is super helpful. I did go back to the airport today dropping off twice,even though I was super nervous. I didn't see him. I really like your idea about video recording him if he starts off again. Thank you!!! Drive safely out there.

·
Banned
4,953 Posts
St. Louis Taxi Commission files for suit to block Uber from operating
http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/cr...5b5d-8e55-37c77a6b0a07.html?mobile_touch=true
This is selective enforment of nonsense laws designed to consolidate power into the hands of a few company owners. EVERY person who drives a vehicle for business purposes, pizza delivery, courier, flower delivery, is supposed to have a class E. You will NEVER find this enforced ever. It's the taxi commission using the government as it's pawn.

"You must obtain a Class E license if you receive pay for driving a motor vehicle that transports 14 passengers or less, or if you transport items as part of your job. This rule applies to workers such as messengers, taxi drivers, chauffeurs, shuttle bus drivers, pizza delivery drivers, and day-care-center employees, to name a few.

Also known as a for-hire license, a Class E license allows you to drive any vehicle with a 26,000 lbs or less gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) that does not require a hazardous materials placard."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts