Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well damn, if I had stayed up just another 2-3 hours I would have won that $50 bonus. Didn't realize I was going to be that far up with as few hours as I did, doesn't look like anyone did full 18 hour shift to max them out.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
45 trips and one cancellation fee and on Saturday and a lot of hours, I should be pretty competitively up there on the bonus this week. Grossed about $16.50/hr over the course of the marathon, which isn't too bad considering I did some of the slower hours as well.

Had to fill up after the last trip, had topped off sometime on Friday, not sure how many miles I drove after that before Saturday, not too many I think. Either way, it was $19 and some change for a full tank of gas, so I spent slightly less than that in gas for the day. Didn't keep track of mileage for the day, but I would guess a little under 400 based on topping my tank off. Even at 400 miles calculating my actual expenses as about half the federal write off, and they're really less than that, that still leaves me with over $10/hour profit...and before you go on about only making $10/hr realize that an hourly employee at $10/hr is lucky to keep around $6-7/hr after taxes and vehicle expenses, where as I'll be keeping closer to $9/hr after those exact same expenses, plus if I get the $50, then that would be straight profit, bumping up my $/hr by a few chits.

Surge was a bit slower than last week, I had only 5 surge trips at low surge, less than $20 of my total from surge. I had better surge results on Friday.

My rating actually went up by .01, so I must have gotten a few 5 stars, that's good since that means a higher helmet score and a better chance at the bonus.

Two freaking people wanted pick ups at half time at one of the stadium exits. Neither realized that police barricades meant they would have to walk a block to be able to be picked up. I charged one a cancel fee because I was at Milikin and 17th and she wanted picked up at Tuttle and 17th, about 400 ft up the street. The second one I didn't charge because I was already there for the previous one and he admitted that walking a block from the stadium would get him halfway to his destination already. Both these cancellations would have been around 2x surge of course...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got the text that I won the $50 for last week.

The guy who won the previous week was only 3 points behind me for the day, and is still ahead 3 points for the overall standings, dude is going to be tough to beat. I was probably a little lower on overall trips per hour than I could have been. I didn't always stay right there on campus and the number of points I received per hour was lower than the previous week. He might have beat me on volume for the day, but likely did fewer hours and made less money on all those short trips...or he just isn't getting very many 5 stars.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last weekend gameday update.

Demand was higher, got a little bit more surge and for most of the night pings were back to back, seriously, seconds between pings from 11am almost all the way to 2am!? I barely squeezed in one bathroom break during that time. Both pick ups and rides were longer though, so I still completed far fewer rides.

I made quite a bit more money plus more tips than the previous week, but because of the lower # rides I did not quite win the $50 bonus (lost by 2 points). On the plus side I am now the overall season points leader, which may help later when they do the $250/$100 bonuses at the end of the season.

I must have overestimated the previous weeks mileage. I was constantly in motion this last weekend and only drove maybe 350 miles. After actual costs (about one half of $.575/mile) my profit appears to be around $14/hour this most recent weekend (not counting tips)!

Note for next time: Keep extra drinks in the car in case it stays busy for more than 12 hours again. Didn't really have time to stop and ended the night a bit dehydrated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know how some of you guys can pull these marathon shifts on gamedays. I always seem to get the passengers that demand to be dropped off as close as humanly possible to the stadium and end up sitting in traffic so much that I am lucky to get 3-5 trips in during the 3-4 hours I am out before kickoff. (Literally had a lady that wanted to go to the Varsity Club and said that if she wanted to walk she wouldn't have taken Uber) I refuse to drive post-game after experiencing the pickup disaster that was the Buckeye Country Superfest. 100,000 people that are completely incapable of telling you where they are/meeting you at a convenient pickup spot. People do not understand that roads are closed everywhere and I cannot pick you up AT THE STADIUM.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always seem to get the passengers that demand to be dropped off as close as humanly possible to the stadium and end up sitting in traffic so much that I am lucky to get 3-5 trips in during the 3-4 hours I am out before kickoff. (Literally had a lady that wanted to go to the Varsity Club and said that if she wanted to walk she wouldn't have taken Uber)
I usually get much more reasonable people. If I'm on the west side of the river I always try to drop on Olentangy, either at Lane or at the bridge over Woody Hayes. On the High St side things get a lot messier and I more play it by ear, Lane and High isn't too bad if you'r coming across Lane from Summit, otherwise High St is mostly just bad. Occasionally I get someone who wants to go into a tailgate party on Woody Hayes or similar, I try and avoid that, I also try and avoid actually driving on Lane, High St, Ackerman, and Kenny. The open routes are up and down Olentangy and across on Kinnear in the south and North Broadway on the north (yes all the way up there if you have to travel East/West near game time).

I refuse to drive post-game after experiencing the pickup disaster that was the Buckeye Country Superfest. 100,000 people that are completely incapable of telling you where they are/meeting you at a convenient pickup spot. People do not understand that roads are closed everywhere and I cannot pick you up AT THE STADIUM.
Yeah, get plenty of those, like I said been getting those requests at halftime. For pick up areas anywhere on Olentangy is good (Olentangy and Lane is common), Cannon at John Herrick is good, 17th at Milikin is the closest you can get, opposite Milikin is a small lot/alley behind a building you can wait in but you have to turn from College onto 19th and follow that around to be able to bypass the roadblock at 17th and College, lastly Lane is good if it's not close to start or stop time, otherwise it's too big of a mess. If they aren't willing to meet you at any of those places then they ain't getting picked up. If they're still stubborn then either cut them loose immediately or get close, hit arrive, and collect your no show fee.

I'm actually relieved it's not a home game this week, did 18 hour shifts the last two Saturdays, and around 13 hours the one before, gonna work a little and get some actual r&r this weekend.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran shorter shifts the last two home games as I found at the first one I was coming down with something and for the second one I just wasn't quite fully over it. Either waya I made decent money both games.

Two weeks ago I slipped to the number two spot and, with triple points on the line, last week I expected to slip more, but some how I still remain solidly in second place for the season.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
11/7 Kinda sucked for a home game. $233 for the entire shift, slow as heck, very little surge, even with 6 surge rides for the week I only had $13.26 in surge fares. This week I had $203.55 in surge fares.

Yesterday rocked, busy all day, decent surge. I made around $411 for the night plus a couple of tips over 47 trips and 2 cancellations. Drove a little over 300 miles, so after expenses (depreciation et all) I made around $18/hour ($19 w/tips). I should have had about one more trip, but I had to log out a couple of minutes to pick up some spare headlights, I had a spare in the glove box for the longest time, but I used it on the other side Friday night (crazy 2 in 2 nights). Note: I think Wallmart has the same Sylvania headlights at a slightly cheaper price then Auto Zone, even counting the 10% Uber discount, will have to double check...though Auto Zone had a larger quality level variety (like 4 tiers for Sylvania).

I had one really awesome trip right at the end of the game. 3x surge from Lane Ave to Dublin, and he insisted on stopping at Speedway to use the restroom and buy some drinks. So I got to hit the much needed restroom while still running a 3x fare and he bought me some water even though I insisted I didn't need anything.

I was still second place for the season going into the last day. First place was far enough ahead I'm not likely to overtake him unless he didn't drive, but with 47 trips I stand a moderate chance of winning the $50 for the day and I should definitely get the $100 for coming in from 2nd to 4th for the season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts