Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm sure these threads are common but I'm looking for some wisdom from experienced drivers. I live in the Hinsdale area, drive a 2006 Porsche Cayenne, and looking to drive on weekends and maybe one night a week (5pm-9pm). My goal is to make $1000 a month.

I know my biggest risk is my car. I've already had some minor issues with it (not related to uber driving), and its expensive as hell to repair. So I know that risk going in. To be honest, I will only have this car for another 2 years max until I get my Tesla Model 3.

Any tips on places to avoid and places to hit? I am thinking of going to concerts/events, Sox/Cubs games or street fests to hit passengers. Is my goal achievable?

thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stay home. If you must drive, go deliver some pizzas in your neighborhood. You'll make more and drive less miles. And maybe you can take a pizza home for dinner. :)
If I stay home, I make no extra money and if I deliver pizzas, then I am on their time, not mine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Under the new Chicago rideshare ordinance you will have to get your Porsche inspected every six months. And, keep in mind, you won't necessarily make any more money driving a Porsche than you would a 2001 Saturn. Which would you rather someone puke in?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under the new Chicago rideshare ordinance you will have to get your Porsche inspected every six months. And, keep in mind, you won't necessarily make any more money driving a Porsche than you would a 2001 Saturn. Which would you rather someone puke in?
its my understanding that the ordinance has not passed yet, am I wrong?

How many people have puked in your car? Is it really that common?

·
Registered
79 Posts
its my understanding that the ordinance has not passed yet, am I wrong?

How many people have puked in your car? Is it really that common?
The ordinance is signed and delivered. I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but soon. As for puking, it happened to me one time. Luckily it went on the floor and I had a rubber mat. I just had to hose it off and spray part of the carpet a little bit. She gave me $50, so I didn't go for the cleaning fee. Still, I wouldn't recommend using your Porsche for Uber. It will get messed up somehow. And I definitely wouldn't use a Tesla if you plan on doing that. You won't make enough to cover the monthly payment, let alone the insurance and gas. Trust me, I leased through Uber Xchange, worked about 15 hours a week and barely made enough for the $170/week lease payment. My average payout was about $5/week, sometimes I even had to pay them. Uber Xchange is the worst idea if you want to make money. That option should only be used temporarily. I used it to build an income history, bought a Prius with a normal payment ($300/month), and gave back the Xchange vehicle. The bottom line is be smart about what you put in to make money, since you won't necessarily get any more for driving big.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I definitely wouldn't use a Tesla if you plan on doing that. You won't make enough to cover the monthly payment, let alone the insurance and gas.
There is no gas with a Tesla. And I'm not looking to make enough to cover my payment, I have a very good day job. Just looking to make some extra cash to cover some debt and maybe pay for a vacation. I'm not sure what Uber Xchange is, but I have no plans to use that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There is no gas with a Tesla. And I'm not looking to make enough to cover my payment, I have a very good day job. Just looking to make some extra cash to cover some debt and maybe pay for a vacation. I'm not sure what Uber Xchange is, but I have no plans to use that.
You can make a 1000 a month. There are many threads on here about where and when to drive. I wouldn't recommend the bar crowd, they will puke in your car. It hasn't happened to me because I quit driving around 10, even then you get a few drunks. But know that gas has gone up, and I don't expect them to raise our rates anytime soon. Good luck. If this is for extra money, that's OK, but I would never, ever recommend this to anyone... Ever.... Ever

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can make a 1000 a month. There are many threads on here about where and when to drive. I wouldn't recommend the bar crowd, they will puke in your car. It hasn't happened to me because I quit driving around 10, even then you get a few drunks. But know that gas has gone up, and I don't expect them to raise our rates anytime soon. Good luck. If this is for extra money, that's OK, but I would never, ever recommend this to anyone... Ever.... Ever
thanks for the feedback, best of luck to you too.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Any tips on places to avoid and places to hit? I am thinking of going to concerts/events, Sox/Cubs games or street fests to hit passengers. Is my goal achievable?

thanks
You will want to avoid the "big events", as you will lose time and money trying to navigate the heavy traffic and locate your riders in the throng of people. You will probably end up with a short trip to the "L" or where they parked their car a bit further away to save money. Drunks will vomit in your car; just a matter of time. You can net $1000/month part time but it will probably require more time and aggravation than you are now thinking it will. I will not recommend Uber/Lyft to anyone, but good luck to you if you give it a try.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On X, with hours you specified, you can make about $500 a week before gas, without killing yourself. Your vehicle qualifies for select, and I dnt know how the business goes for these guys. If you give 8-10 hours each Friday and Saturday l, plus 4-5 hours on a weekday - you should be fine doing these $500. The question that you probably should ask yourself - how much will it cost you in repair and maintenance if you put about 400 - 500 miles on your car weekly. Plus gas... I've been doing Fridays night plus 2 weekday nights every week and after gas, maintenance and depreciation was able to yield $300 net for about 12-14 hours of work. But I drive corolla, so my maintenance costs are relatively low, comparing with your car. Hope that helps. And, welcome to the rideshare world :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The most important things to remember is that if you don't enjoy it then it is definitely not worth it. If you do enjoy it it's not a bad way to make some money on a very flexible schedule.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will want to avoid the "big events", as you will lose time and money trying to navigate the heavy traffic and locate your riders in the throng of people. You will probably end up with a short trip to the "L" or where they parked their car a bit further away to save money. Drunks will vomit in your car; just a matter of time. You can net $1000/month part time but it will probably require more time and aggravation than you are now thinking it will. I will not recommend Uber/Lyft to anyone, but good luck to you if you give it a try.
I have an open mind, so I know it won't be easy, and I am sure you are right. I just worry I won't have the free time to accomplish my goal, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On X, with hours you specified, you can make about $500 a week before gas, without killing yourself. Your vehicle qualifies for select, and I dnt know how the business goes for these guys. If you give 8-10 hours each Friday and Saturday l, plus 4-5 hours on a weekday - you should be fine doing these $500. The question that you probably should ask yourself - how much will it cost you in repair and maintenance if you put about 400 - 500 miles on your car weekly. Plus gas... I've been doing Fridays night plus 2 weekday nights every week and after gas, maintenance and depreciation was able to yield $300 net for about 12-14 hours of work. But I drive corolla, so my maintenance costs are relatively low, comparing with your car. Hope that helps. And, welcome to the rideshare world :)
They told me my car has to be 10 years or newer for select, so I'm on the cutoff. I need to establish a good rating and inspection to qualify, so we'll see. I found it odd that to qualify for SUV in has to be 2014 or newer. Which is strange because people who order an SUV get it for the size, not necessarily the model. That didnt make sense to me. I know if something goes wrong with my car, it will blow my whole goal, but thats a risk I know going in and have to take. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm just sorry you're going to have to accept Uberpools in your nice car. That's going to frustrate you the most, seeing just how much you get paid for it.

Unlocks after 25 rides, enjoy those 25. Best rides of the career.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just sorry you're going to have to accept Uberpools in your nice car. That's going to frustrate you the most, seeing just how much you get paid for it.

Unlocks after 25 rides, enjoy those 25. Best rides of the career.
sorry can you explain what you mean? What exactly unlocks?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
sorry can you explain what you mean? What exactly unlocks?
UberPool unlocks after your 1st 25 rides. It turns your car into a bus. There are many, many threads on these forums. You're going to love it.

I hope you can read sarcasm, but in case it didn't come across. This is sarcasm.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
500 miles in 14 hours. I'm calling BS.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts