Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to Uber! I've recently had my first full night of driving. I drove from 8p.m. - 11p.m. on a Friday night and had an overall good experience with about 10 rides! I do recall one ride where I was driving a group of 4 and their destination required me to take the highway. This was during surge pricing. With construction and detour signs ahead, I became confused and happened to miss my exit. I was rerouted a good extra mile or two down the highway. This was very unfortunate, and I panicked. I offered that I can end the trip immediately to avoid further charges, only if they were willing and capable of directing me to their destination. Surprisingly, they agreed and took the situation well. I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced missing a turn that had cost the rider valuable dollars? Is there is a way to refund a rider money? I intend on being focused and not letting a situation like this happen again, but I want to be prepared if something like this does happen!
Thanks! John

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If it's my fault, I usually email support and have them deduct the miles. If it's due to accident or road conditions, they pay for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd not end the trip - just to ensure that insurance coverage remained in full force. Just inform your PAX that you missed a turn and you'll contact Uber immediately after the trip to have the trip adjusted to actual miles.

During a surge, don't end it early - that's when drivers actually can make a little money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's my fault, I usually email support and have them deduct the miles. If it's due to accident or road conditions, they pay for it.
Thanks for the response! I'm glad to hear that an email to support can deduct the miles charged to the rider due to my mistake.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just do it right in the app using the following steps...
Need help
Had issue with fare
I didn't start trip on time
Then, I just type "original" in the start
And "final, please deduct two miles, etc..." in the ending

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd not end the trip - just to ensure that insurance coverage remained in full force. Just inform your PAX that you missed a turn and you'll contact Uber immediately after the trip to have the trip adjusted to actual miles.

During a surge, don't end it early - that's when drivers actually can make a little money.
I will definitely avoid ending the trip next time. Thank you for the pointers on how to approach the situation!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just do it right in the app using the following steps...
Need help
Had issue with fare
I didn't start trip on time
Then, I just type "original" in the start
And "final, please deduct two miles, etc..." in the ending
Great advice, thank you! I assume the rider is charged for the miles before the unwanted miles are deducted. With that said, would you happen to know when the rider would see that money back in their account? Just curious!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Great advice, thank you! I assume the rider is charged for the miles before the unwanted miles are deducted. With that said, would you happen to know when the rider would see that money back in their account? Just curious!
I'm sure it doesn't charge the pax instantly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do not EVER end the trip early. Ending the trip ends the insurance.

Simply apologize and inform the pax that they can reply to the email receipt and request a far adjustment.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes, never end the trip early. You need to be covered by the Uber insurance.

I'm pretty sure most PAXs won't care for an extra mile or two as long as you've been a good driver (conversations, etiquette, etc...). You can always adjust it when you finish your night.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

This. Apologize and promise to correct it with Uber. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, it's better to be safe.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The way I handle it is to get back on the better route and not mention it. No one is perfect, and I don't drive extra miles on purpose to run up the bill. If the rider doesn't say anything, that means they don't care or aren't aware there was a shorter route.

I never end trips til the riders get out of the car, and I don't ask Uber to adjust the fare. If the rider thinks my routing cost them an extra dollar, they can contact Uber themselves. And I most certainly don't grovel to the rider over minor stuff like this. It's not like I crashed my car into their house or something serious.

Do taxis adjust the fare when they make a wrong turn? No!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I apologize and if it will be significant tell the pax that I will request the fare be corrected by Uber.

I had one last night where I just continued on to the destination after mentioning that I probably should have taken the exit I just passed. I didn't have the trip adjusted and the reason why is because he seemed completely unconcerned with the longer route, and because he had originally suggested a route his friend told him that would have added 4 miles and a few minutes to the trip and he knew I went out of the way to take a shorter and faster route. Either way I added a mile or so back onto the trip and he gave me a decent tip to boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts