Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had a single female pax after bar hours. I picked her up in downtown Omaha and took her to West Omaha around a 15 mile 25 min ride. She is in her mid 20's.
The pax passed out/feel asleep in the back seat slumped over, the only thing holding her up was the seat belt. When I arrived at her house she was out. I tried yelling her name and clapping my hands loudly to wake her, but she would not wake up. I tried to ring her doorbell to see if someone was home to help me out bit no one would answer. After approximately 10 minutes I decided to call 911 and have the police come help me because there was no way I was going to touch her to wake her up.
After waiting 20 minutes an officer shows up and he was able to wake her after shaking the holly shit out of her. A few more officers arrive along with a fire truck and an ambulance. Everyone except for a few officers seemed pretty annoyed that I called.
What would you have done?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You did the right thing by not touching her. You never know what the response would be. I would have kept the meter running and calling out her name louder and louder while opening the car door with the hope that the interior light, air, and noise combination would eventually work. You can also try calling her over the phone. If nothing works, I could have called the non emergency police number and ended the trip after they get her out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You did the right thing by not touching her. You never know what the response would be. I would have kept the meter running and calling out her name louder and louder while opening the car door with the hope that the interior light, air, and noise combination would eventually work. You can also try calling her over the phone. If nothing works, I could have called the non emergency police number and ended the trip after they get her out.
I actually did try to call her phone but that didn't work either.
The non emergency number instructed me to hang up and call 911 if you have to have officer assistance.
911 operator said because she was unresponsive that the medical unit also had to be sent to check on her.

·
24,262 Posts
Calling the Police was the right thing to do. Had you touched her, there could have been problems. The ambulance and firetruck was the decision of some higher-up. No one should be unhappy with you over their showing up. One Police car likely was all that was necessary to treat this matter. As someone already has stated: the Police are trained to deal with this sort of thing. A rideshare driver ain't.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
For the future, maybe add smelling salts to your supply kit of water, mints, candy, etc, etc - ;)
The ammonia ones WILL get you going. I have them in my first aid kit.

A shoulder shake would be acceptable. No one would say that's out of line and if it's on dashcam you're covered. After all, if a pax had a heart attack you wouldn't want to sit around waiting for police rather than do CPR would you?

This absolute rule of NO TOUCHING needs to go out the window if you have someone who is possibly unconscious. You need to ascertain quickly if they really are or are just asleep, not fart around clapping hands and calling phones.

IMNSHO

·
Registered
966 Posts
Police are the best move in that scenario.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The ammonia ones WILL get you going. I have them in my first aid kit.

A shoulder shake would be acceptable. No one would say that's out of line and if it's on dashcam you're covered. After all, if a pax had a heart attack you wouldn't want to sit around waiting for police rather than do CPR would you?

This absolute rule of NO TOUCHING needs to go out the window if you have someone who is possibly unconscious. You need to ascertain quickly if they really are or are just asleep, not fart around clapping hands and calling phones.

IMNSHO
There have been cases of Uber drivers accused of sexual assault for doing similar touching. Do you really want to be pointing out to your dashcam to claim your innocence AFTER your mug shot and your full name have been all over the newspapers and sites, you have spent days in jail and you have been deactivated (which at that point will be the least of your concerns) ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
After all, if a pax had a heart attack you wouldn't want to sit around waiting for police rather than do CPR would you?
Not so clear. Just ask the medical professionals that have been sued after they stopped when they saw a car accident on the highway and provided first aid to an injured person. It's what this stupid legal system has turned us into.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It depends on the jurisdiction. Most states have good samaritan laws that protect people who give reasonable assistance if they believe a person is injured, ill or in peril. In some areas it's only trained personnel, in others (like here in Nevada) it carries over to lay persons. I agree, the OP did the correct thing...although I assume he didn't get a tip :)

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
There have been cases of Uber drivers accused of sexual assault for doing similar touching. Do you really want to be pointing out to your dashcam to claim your innocence AFTER your mug shot and your full name have been all over the newspapers and sites, you have spent days in jail and you have been deactivated (which at that point will be the least of your concerns) ?
If someone wants to claim something they can do that anyway. I'd rather try to make sure someone is not dying or brain damaged because I waste time.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts