Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been doing some serious reasearch on ubers insurance policies as well as my own personal insurance and my question is:
Has anybody had to make a claim using your own personal full comprehensive car insurance yet? In the last month even?
If so was your claim accepted? And your car was covered fully under the insurance?
Or
did you have to use ubers insurance because yours was denied? And if that was the case, did uber cover your car?

Sorry I have so many questions on this, its just I can't find anything written specifically on this and it seems everyone else is safe except for the driver of uber....
I used to love uber... Untill I've read all the fine print and shady lack of information on their insurance.

Any help would be ammmmazing! I want to start driving ASAP :) cheers

· Registered
117 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been doing some serious reasearch on ubers insurance policies as well as my own personal insurance and my question is:
Has anybody had to make a claim using your own personal full comprehensive car insurance yet? In the last month even?
If so was your claim accepted? And your car was covered fully under the insurance?
Or
did you have to use ubers insurance because yours was denied? And if that was the case, did uber cover your car?

Sorry I have so many questions on this, its just I can't find anything written specifically on this and it seems everyone else is safe except for the driver of uber....
I used to love uber... Untill I've read all the fine print and shady lack of information on their insurance.

Any help would be ammmmazing! I want to start driving ASAP :) cheers
I posed the question of cover for my own car to Uber support staff a couple of days ago and because they can't confirm that I'll be covered, I've asked them to refer to their lawyers. Hopefully they'll come back with an answer soon. They also told me to ask my insurance broker about insurance for ridesharing... I've emailed iSelect but haven't heard back... I've been driving casually for about 2 months and taking a massive risk on this issue...

· Registered
117 Posts
This is what I received from the latest email from Uber support staff :

"Thank you for your email and concern. I've had a look at your correspondence and I'd just like to confirm that our CGU insurance covers third party. Your personal vehicle insurance is what covers your vehicle. There are a number of insurance providers that provide a level of cover specially for ride sharing, you will have to seek this out yourself.

I hope that answers your question.

Kind Regards,

Tika Putra
So there it is...

· Registered
82 Posts
Can only use RACV or youi who are ultra expensive.

that is if you want to mention the rideshare, wage for hire scenario.

or chance it with another company and not mention the ride share.

nobody else will want to touch uber drivers.

· Registered
117 Posts
Can only use RACV or youi who are ultra expensive.

that is if you want to mention the rideshare, wage for hire scenario.

or chance it with another company and not mention the ride share.

nobody else will want to touch uber drivers.
Just rang racv, they only insure for Uber driving if it's less than 50% Uber driving... So because I'm planning on doing this full-time, it's a no go from them...
Will advise if I find someone.

· Registered
117 Posts
As an aside, I would not recommend anyone try to either lie to insurance company or risk it with a normal comprehensive policy.
* lie to insurer: they will find out.
* normal comprehensive policy: will not cover you at all whatsoever if you do Uber. You can certainly confirm this with your insurer. So at the end of the day you're paying for ZERO cover! If you decide to take a risk with this option, I would actually just cancel insurance altogether and pay nothing instead.

· Registered
580 Posts
Just rang racv, they only insure for Uber driving if it's less than 50% Uber driving... So because I'm planning on doing this full-time, it's a no go from them...
Will advise if I find someone.
Really? I was told as long as it is not used for 100% Uber its ok, did get a policy. Called them a few days after the TSC winning their court case with Nathan and was advised that there have been no changes to the policy offered and will contact me if they do... Maybe worth calling them back in a day or two to confirm with someone different

· Registered
117 Posts
Really? I was told as long as it is not used for 100% Uber its ok, did get a policy. Called them a few days after the TSC winning their court case with Nathan and was advised that there have been no changes to the policy offered and will contact me if they do... Maybe worth calling them back in a day or two to confirm with someone different
I reckon it might be one of those grey areas with general wording that allows individuals to interpret freely, in which case it's bullshit because I don't want to end up in court arguing the meaning of a term... there's better things to do with time and money.
Please let me know about the % of Uber driving they'll cover for you. I twisted their arms when they say "we'll only cover for occasional Uber driving" and the guy on the phone defined "occasional" as anything less than 50%.

· Registered
2 Posts
are you guys talking about the GST input credit % being 50% or uber use being 50% - the online quotes I just did with RACV selecting Special vehicle hire car , ABN and 50% or 75% (the quotes were identical) - there was no mention about how much this is used for ridesharing as a %

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.