Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signed up for Uber 4 days ago, got cleared today. Did one ride (just to test the app out) from Clifton to Haledon. I made $13.86 plus I got a ten dollar tip. Is this common? The tip.

What are peoples thoughts on the navigation in the app? Do most people switch over from the app to Waze or Google Maps ?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
My first day i did like 8 trips, made like $100 on fares and $20 on tips, also someone forgot their phone in the car and when i brough it back the person gave me $30 bucks reward, I guess it was beginner's luck, cuz there days that i don't even get a penny.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first day i did like 8 trips, made like $100 on fares and $20 on tips, also someone forgot their phone in the car and when i brough it back the person gave me $30 bucks reward, I guess it was beginner's luck, cuz there days that i don't even get a penny.
Awesome, I will check in after my first full day. Thank you for the reply.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I also received a $10 tip my first Uber ride.

1000 Uber/Lyft rides later, I have only gotten 1 tip for a higher amount (Monday, from a kid so stoned he didn't know if he gave me $2 or $200.)

No. Tips are not common and they are usually a lot less than $10.

I prefer waze, but Uber will occasionally perform psychological tests that force you to use their app and prevent you from finding the way to your destination by subjecting you to their own upside down mapping systems, just for kicks and giggles.
Sometimes I think Uber is not a business but a psychological experiment, and college sophmores are replaced with a larger selection of humanity for Pavlovian games. This larger selection of fools, you are now a proud member. They will now randomly poke and prod and see what makes you drool or cry.

Uber has conditioned pax to cringe in revulsion at the thought of providing service industry drivers a tip unless they paint their car bright yellow.
(Also part of the experiment).

Most tips come from people who had someone else order the car for them. They have not become part of the experiment yet, and base their behavior on standard social mores that require tips for service industry people.
Uber has yet to brainwash them.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Congrats on an exceptional first trip experience...

Have fun and don't be afraid to do what's best for you in this gig (example:don't accept Far away pings) that was my biggest mistake when I first started. Like someone else said make sure you read the first thread pinned to top of NJ section. Good luck....

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Lol you believe that?
That's just a myth. I think people mainly tip on a whim. There is no rhyme or reason. Your car smelling fresh, you being a good driver, or adept at conversing isn't going to get you anything more than a sticker or some worthless compliment. In about 300-350 rides, I've gotten a $20 tip three times. On one, I think the husband(or boyfriend) probably gave me that amount because his wife was being difficult--she was late coming out and had a bad attitude in the car. The second time, a millennial gave me $20 on Christmas. The third time, I had this lady(30), who I struck up a great conversation with. This was one time where I definitely sweet-talked myself into a tip--she was definitely smitten by me. After that, I think I've gotten $10-12 a total of three times. Other than that, I've gotten anything from one to five dollars a bunch of times. Still, tips are very rare. I've only gotten one tip($5) since Valentine's Day--truth be told, I mostly drive on the weekends and my account was on hold for 7-10 days a couple of weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
As other are trying to say. Don't get to excited on the tips. After reading the first few comments I thin fUber has some kind of magic ball (data analytics lol) which they use to make sure first few rides for new drivers are good in distance, destination and of course quiality passengers. They need to lure you in into thinking the gig is great so you keep coming out often and accepting every ping. That will last a couple of days then down to reality. I recall my first few days also. Firts ride the guy (a milenial) gave me $10 Euros which I keep hidden in my wallet as a sign of good luck. Same day I got medium-long rides only, each worth 12-15 bucks. After A few like that and 2-3 hours I came back home with like $80 and it was just the first day. I told to myself "this is awesome, I should quit my day job and only do this" LOL thank God I never did that!

1,528 Posts
Signed up for Uber 4 days ago, got cleared today. Did one ride (just to test the app out) from Clifton to Haledon. I made $13.86 plus I got a ten dollar tip. Is this common? The tip.

What are peoples thoughts on the navigation in the app? Do most people switch over from the app to Waze or Google Maps ?
Clifton to haledon $14.00? I make that going from clifton to hoboken..check your math...unless it was surge..
you drove you first day in the snow? thats why you got $10
Also you only did one ride after a $10 tip...something fishy here..

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

That was your good luck tip. Save it for good luck. I got $20 a few weeks back. He was coming out of a bar with his girlfriend. I swear, i know it was dark, but this guy stared at me the whole ride. Muat have been no more than 25. As he got out i said "take care of your girlfriend". He smiled n winked. I was about to pull off when he opened the door and threw me a $20. I was kinda looking good that night lol. Moral of the story, more tips from drinkers on Friday n Saturday and long weekends. Drive late make dough.

And get a tip sign or tip box. Ask me how. Lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clifton to haledon $14.00? I make that going from clifton to hoboken..check your math...unless it was surge..
you drove you first day in the snow? thats why you got $10
Also you only did one ride after a $10 tip...something fishy here..
I believe it was a surge. What is fishy about being nice to a passenger and getting a tip? I don't expect tips every time I drive. Here, take a look at this and check your attitude.

Water resources Map World Font Slope

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
just tell them this is your first day and first trip every ride.
Im gonna try that. I will report back. Should i remove my tip box for this? Lol

Be careful with uber scams by the pax. That's not getting the attention it deserves. Every driver i tell, while im a pax, says it happened to them. Do your homework.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts