Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my car stolen while held at gun point two nights ago. i was parked on the side of the road in a residential area, car on and two men walked up to my vehicle with a gun and told me to get out or get shot. long story short, they stole my car.

i am waiting to hear back from my insurance about it. i haven't told them details yet. I am trying to make the most out of the compensation they provide but i understand that factors that may come into play such as mileage of the vehicle, where the vehicle was, etc...

what should i tell the insurance to optimize compensation?

When i filed police report, all that was noted was intersection (location), me being held at gun point while i was in my car, and my car being stolen...

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell them it was a Jaguar.

Sorry that happened to you.
Really don't know how that stuff works. I mean, what happens if two days from now they find your car on the side of the road somewhere? Which is what I believe usually happens.

Hope it all works out.
lmao

i hope so man... someone found "contents" from my vehicle the next morning in a school parking lot. she said it was as if both passenger and driver dumped out a bunch of stuff from each side of the car: registration, id stuff, etc...

idk what to think

if i were to say there was only 10,000 miles on my vehicle when there really is 50,000, what are the odds that flies?

or would they contact service centers ie past oil change locations and get that data themselves?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
As far as I know the compensation will be a set amount. Mileage will not matter. All that will be taken into consideration is model and age of vehicle. If it incurs damage if it is recovered that's what will be covered, after your deductible. Property is also compensable. They are not going to do any investigative procedures. Not worth it to them.

Having said that…..I've contemplated how I would react in this situation. Obviously, I never want to find out. However, if I have a clear path ahead, I am not discounting the possibility of just gunning it. F U. Two factors, The Aholes have no intention of shooting you and their reflexes would not be fine enough to hit you if they did shoot. And, how do I know they aren't going to put one to my head AFTER they take the car.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know the compensation will be a set amount. Mileage will not matter. All that will be taken into consideration is model and age of vehicle. If it incurs damage if it is recovered that's what will be covered, after your deductible. Property is also compensable. They are not going to do any investigative procedures. Not worth it to them.

Having said that…..I've contemplated how I would react in this situation. Obviously, I never want to find out. However, if I have a clear path ahead, I am not discounting the possibility of just gunning it. F U. Two factors, The Aholes have no intention of shooting you and their reflexes would not be fine enough to hit you if they did shoot. And, how do I know they aren't going to put one to my head AFTER they take the car.
i think about what if a lot and you make some great points. however i was parked 4 ft behind a truck in park mode. the gun was in the window pointed at my head. i wouldve had to grab the gun with my left hand put the car in reverse and tried steering backwards. i didnt know if other guy who was in passenger window side had a gun either.

when they first ran up to the car i honestly was not sure what the intent was as ive heard stories about random shootings for gang initiations. i just felt trapped and felt like i just needed to submit completely.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
i think about what if a lot and you make some great points. however i was parked 4 ft behind a truck in park mode. the gun was in the window pointed at my head. i wouldve had to grab the gun with my left hand put the car in reverse and tried steering backwards. i didnt know if other guy who was in passenger window side had a gun either.

when they first ran up to the car i honestly was not sure what the intent was as ive heard stories about random shootings for gang initiations. i just felt trapped and felt like i just needed to submit completely.
You did the right thing ...without a CLEAR path ahead to just floor it any other response is flawed. I think I will keep this in mind when I am picking up in a bad neighborhood (Do not park behind any obstruction), although I rarely do that anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts

You did the right thing. Its just a car. Not worth risking your life for a piece of metal and glass.

What to tell the insurance company? The truth. They can access your service records and like what the op said, your car will turn up sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
if i were to say there was only 10,000 miles on my vehicle when there really is 50,000, what are the odds that flies?

or would they contact service centers ie past oil change locations and get that data themselves?
Be as truthful as possible this isn't a time to try to lie. You'll give your insurance company a reason to not cover you

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
had my car stolen while held at gun point two nights ago. i was parked on the side of the road in a residential area, car on and two men walked up to my vehicle with a gun and told me to get out or get shot. long story short, they stole my car.

i am waiting to hear back from my insurance about it. i haven't told them details yet. I am trying to make the most out of the compensation they provide but i understand that factors that may come into play such as mileage of the vehicle, where the vehicle was, etc...

When i filed police report, all that was noted was intersection (location), me being held at gun point while i was in my car, and my car being stolen...

What kind of car was it? How do you know they were robbing you? Maybe they just wanted a ride somewhere.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts