Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I saw a guy on Alvarado and Glendale with signs saying he was homeless and hungry. At the same time, he was looking down on his cell phone, probably has unlimited data. I was going to take a pic but the light turned green.
Only in America, where even the homeless have data plans. Maybe we should come up with an app, call it Begger, directs the homeless to areas where people are being generous, just like surge.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I saw a guy on Alvarado and Glendale with signs saying he was homeless and hungry. At the same time, he was looking down on his cell phone, probably has unlimited data. I was going to take a pic but the light turned green.
He was checking the new Uber app called "Handout". It's an app for homeless people. It shows them where the Uber cars with passengers are. Since the tip is already included for the driver the pax has an extra few bucks to hand out to the homeless.
Those who sign up will be getting little emblems of urinals to put on their person somewhere visible so the pax can identify them as partners with Uber.
The drivers will be required to furnish the pax who give them a handout with a receipt for the IRS.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You haven't seen a "classy" panhandler until you've seen one in the South Coast Metro area. About a year ago, I saw a woman panhandling at a shopping center. She was in high heels, designer jeans and had on her "stunner" glasses. Probably wanted some shopping money.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
You haven't seen a "classy" panhandler until you've seen one in the South Coast Metro area. About a year ago, I saw a woman panhandling at a shopping center. She was in high heels, designer jeans and had on her "stunner" glasses. Probably wanted some shopping money.
How about the one on the 405 south La Tierra exit? She isn't in high heals, but she is damn cute. She works it too, out there just like a regular job.

Probably makes more than we do. :D

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
yesterday I pulled into subway. homeless guy who looked cool comes to me asks for $1. I say I have none. Seriously to ask for a dollar and not even just change.

I ain't driving around paxholes to give out free money that really are my expenses.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Homeless person asking an uber driver for money lol

Funny thing is I was approached at a gas station by an individual soliciting money.

He asked if I could spare a couple of bucks cause he claimed he was about to be out of gas and needed enough to get home. I said "sure man, where's your car? I'll swipe my card and u can put a gallon in your tank".

He then told me it would be easier if I just gave him cash and he would go inside and prepay. I told him I don't carry cash and he walked away.

After I filled up my car, I went inside to get a full throttle and the clerk asked me if that dude was asking me for money. I told the clerk what happened and he told me that guy showed up on foot and doesn't have a car lol.

Apparently, the clerk had gotten complaints about him and was going to tell him to leave the premises or he was going to call the cops.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Homeless person asking an uber driver for money lol

Funny thing is I was approached at a gas station by an individual soliciting money.

He asked if I could spare a couple of bucks cause he claimed he was about to be out of gas and needed enough to get home. I said "sure man, where's your car? I'll swipe my card and u can put a gallon in your tank".

He then told me it would be easier if I just gave him cash and he would go inside and prepay. I told him I don't carry cash and he walked away.

After I filled up my car, I went inside to get a full throttle and the clerk asked me if that dude was asking me for money. I told the clerk what happened and he told me that guy showed up on foot and doesn't have a car lol.

Apparently, the clerk had gotten complaints about him and was going to tell him to leave the premises or he was going to call the cops.
Honestly, there are programs in place to help people with low/no income. And over the years I've learned that you can't give money to homeless people.
Usually I'll see these types of beggars.

> come up to you wanting gas money.
> trying to pay for a funeral. I see that more out and Inland Empire than I do in LA.
> standing on a corner types.

talking as a guy who's been through all that. If they truly want help they will look for help. It's out there. But not out on Skid Row.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Honestly, there are programs in place to help people with low/no income. And over the years I've learned that you can't give money to homeless people.
Usually I'll see these types of beggars.

> come up to you wanting gas money.
> trying to pay for a funeral. I see that more out and Inland Empire than I do in LA.
> standing on a corner types.

talking as a guy who's been through all that. If they truly want help they will look for help. It's out there. But not out on Skid Row.
I live in a pretty nice area north of ATL, but I still consider myself fairly street smart. I've lived in some rough places before so I can usually detect red flags and can handle myself quite well.
I had a feeling the guy was trying to play me, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I heard some of these beggars make up to 60,000 a year. Kind of puts our line of work in perspective lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in a pretty nice area north of ATL, but I still consider myself fairly street smart. I've lived in some rough places before so I can usually detect red flags and can handle myself quite well.
I had a feeling the guy was trying to play me, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I heard some of these beggars make up to 60,000 a year. Kind of puts our line of work in perspective lol
I know there's several news stories out here in LA about people begging for money and then get picked up in a BMW, Mercedes,or other expensive cars.
Atl is a whole different Beast though.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
"ATL is a whole different beast"

Ok...how so?

We have luxury vehicles and expensive real estate as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"ATL is a whole different beast"

Ok...how so?

We have luxury vehicles and expensive real estate as well.
yes obviously. but from my life experiences it's completely different than la. Things are done differently there.
Sorry I guess I shouldn't have used that verbiage

1 - 20 of 26 Posts