Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber has a great concept. But do yo think their approach is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Gov't says ride-sharing is illegal. Then wacks some Uber X drivers with fine but looses court case because of lack of evidentory. And now comes GST on ride sharing thus Uber drivers now has to declare their "illegal" ride-share income with their BAS returns.

So what are we doing. By declaring income and GST are we generating evidence for the government so that next time any drivers end up in court govt can use that to win the case. Could very well be and we all might be risking it. Whilst ATO is very confidential, they are obliged to provide necessary information to authorities relating to illegal activities.

And if you don't lodge your GST, then Gov't will be after you as well as they are targeting Uber very heavily.

So is it a trap? Are we risking it? I am keen to sit on my hands until Uber and Govt has sorted things out between them. (which Uber should have done at first place before operation began)

·
Registered
123 Posts
@x_uber_driver I've had the same thoughts and sincerely hope TfNSW aren't clever enough to pull out the data out of ATO. I'm hoping that incompetence and red tape bureaucracy gets in the way. To our benefit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First Gov't says ride-sharing is illegal. Then wacks some Uber X drivers with fine but looses court case because of lack of evidentory. And now comes GST on ride sharing thus Uber drivers now has to declare their "illegal" ride-share income with their BAS returns.

So what are we doing. By declaring income and GST are we generating evidence for the government so that next time any drivers end up in court govt can use that to win the case. Could very well be and we all might be risking it. Whilst ATO is very confidential, they are obliged to provide necessary information to authorities relating to illegal activities.

And if you don't lodge your GST, then Gov't will be after you as well as they are targeting Uber very heavily.

So is it a trap? Are we risking it? I am keen to sit on my hands until Uber and Govt has sorted things out between them. (which Uber should have done at first place before operation began)
hehe.. you are funny.. too many detective shows I guess?

The transport dept and treasury dept are 2 very different departments... Whilst its all Govt to you it doesnt operate that way... The transport department cant just access the treasury and find out who paid what taxes and GST...

So amusing as it might be its definitely not the case.. However, transport dept can still continue to prosecute/try to prosecute Uber... With or without GST wouldnt make any difference to your chances of getting fined and getting caught

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
And now comes GST on ride sharing thus Uber drivers now has to declare their "illegal" ride-share income with their BAS returns.
I'm a tiny bit confused - illegal or not - where did you ever get the idea that Uber income was tax free and didn't need to be declared? It is right there in black in white in the partnership agreement that ride share partners (taxi drivers we are) need to pay tax on our earnings.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts

I would advise you declare all and any Uber income from the first $1 you got to the ATO. If you continued driving for Uber post 1st Aug then also register an ABN and GST backdated to 1st Aug to avoid compliance activities and associated fines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts