Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All uber drivers must sign up and get together to get this loophole sorted. Why the hell uber can't pay GST, minimum guranteed 25 an hour works out to be way lower than the minimum wage rate from fairwork australia. Why cant we fight together?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I stopped driving since 1st august. And im not going to drive untill uber pays their part of gst. Its about all i can do. I may not drive ever again at this rate.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The only way we can fight it is if all drivers fight it. For every driver that stops driving, there are probably 2 more lining up to join and other drivers who could give a shit about how much money they aren't making.

A better way to possibly get something done would be to get lots of drivers to sign a petition and forward it to ASIC who may have something to say about Uber's insistence on calling drivers "Independent Contractors". Though I'm not sure how ASIC view the Taxi industry, maybe someone who has been in that industry can comment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are plenty of people who are well known in this forum and unsatisfied with the matters as we are, and i rekon they can do very well on collecting more opinion and organize the petition, i am new but i am totally onto it.
We must fight for it. If we can clearly show the ATO, and fairwork Australia how the things are running and actually money going in the pocket, then they have to listen 100's of unsatisfied people.
Hopefully then all pie divers can have their own share rather struggle to feed and live.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The whole trouble with trying to fight Uber over the 20% they take that they don't pay GST on is this: If fair work, the ATO, ASIC or whoever turns around to Uber and says you must charge GST on your take so the driver is not out of pocket. Uber relents and says ok. Uber controls the rates and can simply adjust our rates down giving some bullshit excuse about being busier and you are still no better off.

The only way it could possibly be resolved would be if Uber were forced to pay a minimum $ for min and per km. I can't see any department having the power to enforce this.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
The whole trouble with trying to fight Uber over the 20% they take that they don't pay GST on is this: If fair work, the ATO, ASIC or whoever turns around to Uber and says you must charge GST on your take so the driver is not out of pocket. Uber relents and says ok. Uber controls the rates and can simply adjust our rates down giving some bullshit excuse about being busier and you are still no better off.

The only way it could possibly be resolved would be if Uber were forced to pay a minimum $ for min and per km. I can't see any department having the power to enforce this.
Min amounts per mile were enforced somewhere overseas, though Uber did not conform from memory. Someone else may have a little more insight?

If Uber were to pay GST on there take, they would them have to pay tax on their earnings. More chance of me winning lotto than this happening! Unless this somehow gets either legislated or enforced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laws, policy, legislation are all made by human being to suit their need and for all. All we can try is to have collective feedback from as much drivers as possible and create sorta of union. And go from there. I don't even see a percentage chance they are not willing to do it unless they shut their business. 100 ppl can change anything pretty much. We can even take it to tv channels, radios or do some strikes(peacefull) if nothing happen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Laws, policy, legislation are all made by human being to suit their need and for all. All we can try is to have collective feedback from as much drivers as possible and create sorta of union. And go from there. I don't even see a percentage chance they are not willing to do it unless they shut their business. 100 ppl can change anything pretty much. We can even take it to tv channels, radios or do some strikes(peacefull) if nothing happen.
Your thinking is good but
1) You will never get enough drivers to strike
2) Queensland Labour are too scared to do anything atm, although it seems DTMR have backed off completely after a few token tickets recently.
3) ASIC have no jurisdiction here.
4) Fair Work have shown no interest, the Liberal party are Uber supporters as evidenced by the ACCC coming out in support of Uber.
5) Hundreds of ripped off drivers vs thousands of supportive Uber riders will see the politicians probably side with the riders.
My hope is that politicians force rules on Uber that make the model nonviable ie insurance, this will pretty much close Uber. Keep thinking though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts