Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m referring to Uber UK, I just don’t understand how this is happening.

So I sit and get the occasional order only.

There is a group of 4 drivers who all stand together, they seem to be given every single order. It’s not by chance there is something they are doing, as one leaves the other returns and I cannot figure out how they are managing to take every order.

Can anyone advise on what system or scam they are using.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
There are a few things this could be. The most likely is network distance. Are they standing in a strong signal zone? Do they carry new fast phones?
Check your ping time to the servers. Lower ping time means less network distance equals more orders. If your ping time is high it’s time to upgrade your data plan.
They could also be part of a cartel and each have six phones with different accounts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few things this could be. The most likely is network distance. Are they standing in a strong signal zone? Do they carry new fast phones?
Check your ping time to the servers. Lower ping time means less network distance equals more orders. If your ping time is high it’s time to upgrade your data plan.
They could also be part of a cartel and each have six phones with different accounts.
Thanks for replying, I have checked my ping rate 57m/s that’s the best in this very small town.

I suspect it’s a phone cartel, it was the first thing that came to mind but I didn’t realise it was actually a thing.

I guess the only way to compete is join them? I don’t really fancy running however many phones they have got running.

There is no fair play anymore

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I’m referring to Uber UK, I just don’t understand how this is happening.

So I sit and get the occasional order only.

There is a group of 4 drivers who all stand together, they seem to be given every single order. It’s not by chance there is something they are doing, as one leaves the other returns and I cannot figure out how they are managing to take every order.

Can anyone advise on what system or scam they are using.
There were a couple of posters from London years ago who talked about the same thing you're talking about. They said there was a cabal of immigrant drivers who were getting constant deliveries from McDonalds while the rest of the drivers waiting around getting nothing.

They said one of the "gang" members was waiting outside with some device loaded in a gym bag. They further said that one of the gang members offered to sell him one of the devices for a thousand Euros.

One of the posters contacted one of the major London newspapers and they ran a story about it.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I've long suspected that and/or some other scams have been going on here in the US which would at least partially explain the extreme rarity of decent-paying orders.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Thanks for replying, I have checked my ping rate 57m/s that’s the best in this very small town.

I suspect it’s a phone cartel, it was the first thing that came to mind but I didn’t realise it was actually a thing.

I guess the only way to compete is join them? I don’t really fancy running however many phones they have got running.

Report them and if necessary contact the media.

Drivers who engage in this type of fraud aren't stealing from Uber, they're stealing from other drivers who are trying to support their families.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I was curious how an Indian restaurant I really frequent I often see some of the same Indian guys running the app deliveries themselves. The app may for once actually be doing proximity. That would be crazy, like 2014 Uber crazy. I don’t doubt the ol’ wagon fulla phones trick though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
99% its based on proximity so any group thats smart will just pick a busy spot and set up shop, strength in numbers, ping gonna look for driver closest to store first if theres 5 parked there chances are one of em gonna get it, dont why people think theres money in delivering fast food
At the airport in Wichita Kansas there are drivers that line up and are in queue at times there was several ahead and i would never get in line. I quit driving for Uber i had a perfect score and was never late. I got a complaint about the color of my car and got a warning from uber. There was no appeal or way to get a review. I worked till 1pm 5 days a week and made good money around the downtown area and WSU. Uber customer service was horrible.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
99% its based on proximity so any group thats smart will just pick a busy spot and set up shop, strength in numbers, ping gonna look for driver closest to store first if theres 5 parked there chances are one of em gonna get it, dont why people think theres money in delivering fast food
Proximity isn't even close to being 99% of the dispatch criteria.

Many many times over the years I've been positioned close to restaurants and yet most of my pings are restaurants far away or I get no pings at all.

Meanwhile I watch other drivers pull up and leave with orders in their hands.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Could it be these group of guys are accepting everything and anything regardless of what or where it is. So maybe the algorithm is trained to send them first because they just don't care they will do it anyway?
Drivers don't join cabals to get ANY orders, they join them to get GOOD orders.

There's more than enough crummy orders available pretty much around the clock. You can get all the crummy orders you want without joining a cabal.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I was curious how an Indian restaurant I really frequent I often see some of the same Indian guys running the app deliveries themselves. The app may for once actually be doing proximity. That would be crazy, like 2014 Uber crazy. I don’t doubt the ol’ wagon fulla phones trick though.

Restaurants that have their own drivers have a deal with UberEATS that gives them the option of accepting an order for their own drivers or dumping it onto Uber.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts

The downside of a phone cartel scam is that every phone represents an account which represents a tax return for the "owner" of that account.

If the accumulation of accounts involves identity fraud it becomes a federal felony.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
The downside of a phone cartel scam is that every phone represents an account which represents a tax return for the "owner" of that account.

If the accumulation of accounts involves identity fraud it becomes a federal felony.
Like a cartel is worried about taxes.

Common Sense will tell you if they're using multiple accounts they sure in the hell ain't using real IDs social security number or anything legal by any means.

Even if they are it's not theirs anyway. Could be somebody that was here legally and went back to their country already and won't be back. Or they're dead and they are using it.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Like a cartel is worried about taxes.
Dude, this ain't the Medellin Drug Cartel we're talking about here. In this scenario we're talking about groups of sleazebag scammers getting relatives and others to sign up with gig-apps. In cases like that taxes would be an issue they'd have to deal with.

Common Sense will tell you if they're using multiple accounts they sure in the hell ain't using real IDs social security number or anything legal by any means.
That's not necessarily true at all. At least some do use real accounts and if they do, tax returns have to be taken care of. It's probably a lot more common than people think for drivers to sign up relatives and friends for gigwork and thru the use of burner phones they can be operating several accounts at the same time.

Months ago while waiting for a delivery I noticed the driver next to me holding two phones and I made a joke about it. He casually said that because his father took the night off he decided to use the account for the night. I'm sure this type of thing happens all the time, often with many more than two accounts.

Most of these scammers are from Third World backwaters and they probably bank on the hope that most American restaurant workers will think they "all look alike" and thus can't tell one from another.

Even if they are it's not theirs anyway. Could be somebody that was here legally and went back to their country already and won't be back. Or they're dead and they are using it.
I already addressed this scenario in my previous post when I mentioned identity fraud being a federal felony.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts