Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Uber Partner's thought of the day: I have been Ubering here in Charleston, SC for about a week now. Tonight I was at a stop sign at the corner of King & Ann Streets and some taxi drivers started hollering profanity and all kinds of nastiness at me.
Do the cab drivers of Charleston really have trouble understanding why riders are favoring us? It's called CLASS! We behave like fellow human beings. We do our jobs well and add that touch of personality and customer service that many cabbies don't bother with.
I'm asking my fellow partners: don't respond to the hate. Don't yell back or flip them off. By being above that nonsense, we remind our cities, neighbors, and riders why we are the better option.

·
25,881 Posts
It's called CLASS! We behave like fellow human beings. We do our jobs well and add that touch of personality and customer service that many cabbies don't bother with.

we remind our cities, neighbors, and riders why we are the better option.
Joke cabbies. They can only treat customers like crap for 50 years until they jump on the first alternate.
Profile much? Shill much?

The public, the government, the Fourth Estate and now our unregulated competition hollers and screams when a cab driver allegedly profiles, but it is allright for all of the proverbial above to profile us.

Double standard much?

As for class, I have expended every effort to refrain from, or at least, keep to a minimum, the repeating or proving some of the stereotypes that have developed amoung the governments, public, Fourth Estate and rideshare's overregulated competition about rideshare drivers. I have observed the same in the majority of the cab drivers who post on Uperpeopledotnet.

That gives lie to any accusation that cab drivers lack class.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The difference is, when cabbies, regulators, and governments profile us, it's "mostly" unfounded.
With cabbies, yes, there are good, nice, clean cabbies, with cars to match, but in my life, I've taken dozens(I know, not that big of a sample) of taxi rides, and I can count on one hand the amount of times where I didn't feel I was walking away with some kind of communicable disease. That is the same sentiment I get from my riders as well. It's regularly mentioned by them that they have NEVER had a positive cab experience. It's either, rude drivers, disgusting cars, or being grossly overcharged. Also, here in the Tampa Bay area, it's very common to call for a cab and waiting over an hour for them to show up. Also, while I hate minimum fare rides, taxis here absolutely refuse to give rides of less than a couple of miles.

·
25,881 Posts
It might be "unfounded" in the City of The Living Dead, but the "profiling" of rideshare drivers here ain't unfounded. ..............and it ain't just cab drivers and regulators who "profile", it is Uber users who are "profiling". Reading the driver comments on various topics on this forum about low ratings will give enough truth to my statement; what my passengers tell me, be they Uber Taxi, UberX or even street hails, gives even more substance to my statement.

.......as for those who have "never had a postive experience", two things:

1. I can produce just as many who have "never had a positive experience" on rideshare. The truth is that they are exaggerating. The one or two bad experiences have obliterated the mundane as well as the good. You would be familiar, perhaps, with the saying "When I am right, no one remembers, when I am wrong, no one forgets"?

2. More than a few of those give substance to :"Isn't sleep wonderful? It allows some people to cry only sixteen hours per day instead of all twenty-four." There are some people whom you just can not please. There are some people who live to complain. When I worked at Sears and Sawbucks, we used to have more than a few people who would cry "Monkey Ward's this, Monkey Ward's that" when they were unhappy with Sears and Sawbucks. The Monkey Ward's employees of my acquaintance told me that the same people went there and hollered "Sears and Sawbucks this, Sears and Sawbucks, that" to them.

Here, we have a few forums about Life in the Big City, or, blogs with comment boards. Every time the blogger posts something about the cabs, it is the same whiners who come out with these general statements about the drivers. The reality is that they had one or two bad experiences and suddenly every cab driver is a Ned Kelly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe the cabbies in Charleston are on one of the five stages of grief. :( Please have some understanding. Funny thing, I had an almost an hour conversation with an uberx/lyft driver who I met at a gas station this morning. You see, not everyone of us is a monster. He tried to refer me to lyft; I referred him to this website.

Let me tell you another funny story that happened just last night at our airport here; I pull up to a terminal where about 7 or 8 ppl are lined up waiting for cabs. As I pull up, I overhear the first up guy shouting profanity laced languages and disrespect to the taxi starter guy there. The starter didn't even say a word but tried to help him with his oversized bag. He tells him, don't even try to help me, and continues to head to the trunk of my cab. At this point, the ppl on the line are shaking their heads. I make a quick decision and lock my car, and decide that i do not need this hothead in my cab and peel off. By the time, I circled back to get one of the other passengers, about 8 min, there were 15 airport police and traffic officers at that terminal I left that ******.

Long story short, the guy had started another fight with one of the other dudes who was on line waiting, and when the starter called a police, he even had it with the officer (traffic). The officer used pepper spray to subdue and cuff him with the help of other officers. The starter later tells me that the guy even caused a ruckus in the other airport he just came from that same day, as well as while waiting at the luggage spot here. Now, all you ll hear from this dude (pretty sure uber customer lol) and, probably, from some of the ppl who were on line waiting, is how awful that cab driver (that would be ME) in pulling off that stunt. I'm pretty sure that the next hundred uber drivers will get an earful of that. :rolleyes:

·
25,881 Posts
^^^^^^Right. You are in the wrong not only because that guy acted like a jackdonkey, but also for not wanting to deal with him. These are the same kinds of people who fault cab drivers for not wanting to deal with a hotel's or restaurant's "problem".

There are people trained to deal with drunks, street people and generally belligerent jackdonkeys; they are called The Police. If you have a "problem" you call the Police, not a cab driver. You pay taxes for the Police.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have run into a number of cabbies in my time driving that gave me the impression they'd as soon slit my throat as look at me however I'd be a fool to think that there wouldn't be long term rideshare drivers who'd act the same way if they felt their livelihood threatened. Every group or organization has its feckless morons who make the rest look bad. That goes for race, religion, PTA's and professions. This is why trying to paint an entire group with one broad brush is foolish at best.

·
Registered
165 Posts
^^^^^^Right. You are in the wrong not only because that guy acted like a jackdonkey, but also for not wanting to deal with him. These are the same kinds of people who fault cab drivers for not wanting to deal with a hotel's or restaurant's "problem".

There are people trained to deal with drunks, street people and generally belligerent jackdonkeys; they are called The Police. If you have a "problem" you call the Police, not a cab driver. You pay taxes for the Police.
Even the Police are sometimes guilty of passing off troubled ppl to taxis. We get calls from the Police all the time, n i sometimes wondered if they have even considered the pax could afford a cab ride. I 've had more than one not pay me while having no money n also claiming the cops called the taxi, not him. :(
They just want to clear a scene asap n just dump the drunk,.., into the taxi n be done.
Last one I took a call from em, they had this deranged lady who was involved in a small crash. They called a tow n a taxi. The lady is trying to go 60mi with no money. I gave her back to them. Call the CHP n 've her ride on the highway with them. :p

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Even the Police are sometimes guilty of passing off troubled ppl to taxis. We get calls from the Police all the time, n i sometimes wondered if they have even considered the pax could afford a cab ride. I 've had more than one not pay me while having no money n also claiming the cops called the taxi, not him. :(
They just want to clear a scene asap n just dump the drunk,.., into the taxi n be done.
Last one I took a call from em, they had this deranged lady who was involved in a small crash. They called a tow n a taxi. The lady is trying to go 60mi with no money. I gave her back to them. Call the CHP n 've her ride on the highway with them. :p
I had a security gig a few years back that had me patrolling in a vehicle past a Race Trac - gas station - a number of times a night. Stopped in there for my usual coffee and there was a homeless looking guy standing in a corner muttering to himself. Asked the girl who worked the place and she informed me that two Fort Worth police officers had dropped the guy off in front of her place, given him $5.00, and left. He had spent the last 15 minutes wandering the place muttering to himself and wouldn't respond when spoken to. Nice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Profile much? Shill much?

The public, the government, the Fourth Estate and now our unregulated competition hollers and screams when a cab driver allegedly profiles, but it is allright for all of the proverbial above to profile us.

Double standard much?

As for class, I have expended every effort to refrain from, or at least, keep to a minimum, the repeating or proving some of the stereotypes that have developed amoung the governments, public, Fourth Estate and rideshare's overregulated competition about rideshare drivers. I have observed the same in the majority of the cab drivers who post on Uperpeopledotnet.

That gives lie to any accusation that cab drivers lack class.
I don't know how things are in Charleston, or DC, but here in Charlotte I have not had any problems with drivers from the cab companies that have the airport emblems on their cabs, (those from CLT know who I mean) I have noticed those companies keep their cabs clean, and so far their drivers have been polite to me. There are, however a few other companies that are running older cars, and the cars and drivers of them don't look like they have ever been washed. I get comments from my riders criticizing the cabs for being dirty and their drivers being rude, I always tell them that naturally we prefer they use Uber, of Lyft if I am on their platform, but if for some reason they have to take a cab in Charlotte, to use a company that has the airport access.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a security gig a few years back that had me patrolling in a vehicle past a Race Trac - gas station - a number of times a night. Stopped in there for my usual coffee and there was a homeless looking guy standing in a corner muttering to himself. Asked the girl who worked the place and she informed me that two Fort Worth police officers had dropped the guy off in front of her place, given him $5.00, and left. He had spent the last 15 minutes wandering the place muttering to himself and wouldn't respond when spoken to. Nice.
Most of our Charlotte police are good officers, and I have not heard of anything like that here, I used to work for one of the State mental hospitals, and CMPD would transport patients to us all the time, they would have brought someone like that to us. Reading some of the stories here though I can see why the Southpark series has changed the slogan on the police car from " To Serve and Protect" to " To Harass and Annoy". :p

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Most of our Charlotte police are good officers, and I have not heard of anything like that here, I used to work for one of the State mental hospitals, and CMPD would transport patients to us all the time, they would have brought someone like that to us. Reading some of the stories here though I can see why the Southpark series has changed the slogan on the police car from " To Serve and Protect" to " To Harass and Annoy". :p
There are few mental health facilities in Texas and those few generally have waiting lists to get in. You have to be actively trying to kill yourself or someone else before you have a real chance of getting in. Its damn sickening.

·
25,881 Posts
Even the Police are sometimes guilty of passing off troubled ppl to taxis. We get calls from the Police all the time, n i sometimes wondered if they have even considered the pax could afford a cab ride.
The lady is trying to go 60mi with no money. I gave her back to them. Call the CHP n 've her ride on the highway with them. :p
I have had that happen, as well. I will tell the Police that I do not have to take them if they are drunk and I will not do it. They can issue the summons if they must, but I will beat it in court every time. One thing that the Metropolitan Police here have done is start to make sure that these people at least have money. No money, no call cab. If they do not check before they call, they check before you leave. No money? Out of the cab. If only the Park Police, Capitol Police and Secret Service would do the same.

Reactions: D Town

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are few mental health facilities in Texas and those few generally have waiting lists to get in. You have to be actively trying to kill yourself or someone else before you have a real chance of getting in. Its damn sickening.
That explains a lot about the Texas Legislature, and the decisions they make. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.