Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“ UBER, BUT ELECTRIC
With health fears causing some passengers to eschew crowded public transit, and the growth of delivery programs such as Uber Eats, ride-hailing companies and their offshoots seem poised to survive and possibly thrive postpandemic.

That could be bad news for the planet, since research has shown that ride-hailing trips generate significantly more emissions than the modes of transportation displaced by them. But for governments seeking to decarbonize transportation in general, there is also potential opportunity in compelling and helping companies such as Uber and Lyft to meet (or perhaps beat) their stated goal of fully shifting to electric vehicles across North America by 2030.

The quicker those companies move on that, the more benefits there will be, beyond directly reducing ride-hailing pollution. Bulk investment in EVs could encourage a scaling-up of production that would make zero-emissions vehicles more accessible and affordable for all drivers, and swifter construction of charging infrastructure.

Federal and provincial governments can encourage the transition by ensuring that commercial fleets have access to EV purchase incentives. But municipalities have plenty of carrots and sticks at their disposal, as highlighted in a report last year by the International Council on Clean Transportation. Among the available levers are putting caps on the number of ride-hailing vehicles licensed and giving EVs a growing share of them; exempting EVs from various ride-hailing fees; and giving their drivers priority access at hotspot pickup and drop-off locations. If cities want to get really ambitious, they could also impose ride-hailing and taxi pricing structures correlated to vehicle emissions.”

From the Globe&Mail’s ongoing CITIES series of articles.

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Uber studies always interest me.

While I understand that in highly urbanized environments, that Uber impacts emissions vs mass transit, but I’ve always wondered how many vehicles aren’t on the road (in particular older less fuel efficient vehicles) because of Uber.

Having a specialized service like Uber likely makes car ownership redundant for many of those in the Burbs.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having a specialized service like Uber likely makes car ownership redundant for many of those in the Burbs.
Not if you calculate the price-point. I've spoken with many passengers who tried to make a go of it without a car, and using transit and ride-hail services (U/L) in the suburbs (Mississauga/Milton/Brampton) but then started saving up for a car because the 'transport bill' at the end of the day was simply too high. This might work in Scarborough or Etobicoke (the so-called street-car suburbs) but not out in the full 905 Ring.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
This might work in Scarborough or Etobicoke (the so-called street-car suburbs) but not out in the full 905 Ring.
Bedroom lands where deliberately planned to make car ownership necessary by spreading out all the available amenities. Thus relying on transit and rideshare is going to quite convenient and expensive.

Downtown neighbourhoods were planned at a time when only the wealthy owned "horseless carriages"; so everything had to be within walking distance for the average resident. The resulting density also made public transit far more cost effective and convenient

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bedroom lands where deliberately planned to make car ownership necessary by spreading out all the available amenities. Thus relying on transit and rideshare is going to quite convenient and expensive.

Downtown neighbourhoods were planned at a time when only the wealthy owned "horseless carriages"; so everything had to be within walking distance for the average resident. The resulting density also made public transit far more cost effective and convenient
From what I understand and have been reading for years on Urban planning and Design, in the USA and in Canada is that it is a function of two things:

1. Zoning and mixed use communities are a no-no in the 'burbs.
  2. Each business and Plaza has a specific # of parking spots required relative to square footage.
If someone had the political will to back off on these two things, then a lot more non-core neighborhoods would be a lot more walkable.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm upset google cancelled the city they were building on waterfront east. I still hope they put up that neighbourhood and condos
Yea, it was a bit of a cluster****, and the pandemic provided cover for cancelling it.
However, the basic issue was that GOOGLE was not at all being transparent on data-ownership, and privacy issues.
I would have loved to have seen SidewalkLabs build the smart-city successfully in toronto. This sort of industry is set to become a $1Trillion dollar industry int he next decade, and it would have been nice to see Toronto surf that wave, but if they were not going to do it with openness and transparency and 'the right to forget' in terms of data, then I can totally see why the cities privacy commissioner and other parties were super-mad about how GOOGLE handled everything.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
EspeciallyThe councillor said that such a shift could potentially lead to more affordable housing, if developers pass on the savings from not having to build parkiThe councillor said that such a shift could potentially lead to more affordable housing, if developers pass on the savings from not having to build parking.ng. if we're talking about the context of those main street areas, small businesses being able to adaptively reuse those spaces for affordable housing …

The councillor said that such a shift could potentially lead to more affordable housing, if developers pass on the savings from not having to build parking.

HA HA HA HO HO HO HO HO!!!! Oh that is so funny and cute at the same time. Goes to prove how utterly brain-dead these Toronto city counsellors are

Yes I like the idea of a walkable community; but if this honey thinks developers who gladly tear down historic buildings are going to do anything altruistic with the savings without the city wringing their arm to do it, then I've got this really nice bridge down the street that I'd like to sell her. Cheap cheap.

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
4 hour ride from London to Toronto… 🤷‍♂️

Millions of dollars for something that looks destined to fail tbh.

There is significant ridership. VIA trains are loaded on a London-Toronto corridor. London-Windsor not so much. VIA actually dumps a rail car after London.
I would love it if they bring back the midnight route that grayhound had... board at 1am and you're in Windsor by 5am. Sleep all way through.. all for $40.

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
"Sexual Harrasment Traning?"... tf?!?!?.. how about "shut up and drive" .. no harassment there... and in case of pax, same thing, "shut up and sit".
Some lady who drives whining... probably wants less drives on the road lol.

Anyone gonna say that this is share of someone vehicle, not really a job? :)

Also, if all that gets passed, they should also give drivers ability to pick up hails.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Anyone gonna say that this is share of someone vehicle, not really a job? :)

Also, if all that gets passed, they should also give drivers ability to pick up hails.
That would be pretty much the last straw. If that happens then there is basically no difference between ridehail and taxi then, other than the price.
If street hails are allowed, then maybe it's time for the taxi industry to abandon it's business model altogether and all taxi drivers adopt the ridehail business model.
If that were to happen however, there would have to be a substantial increase in fares. No more working for $3.99/hr!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
If that were to happen, in order to keep a level playing field all fares would have to be the same (based on class of vehicle of course), so once you are back to municipal regulation of fares, there is no difference left between taxi/ridehail and that should mean an increase in earnings for you back door weasels!

This reminds me of the old story about the camel sticking his nose into the tent. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I am not a fan however of some of the options mentioned in the article allowing "front of the line" priority for ev's.
Free market forces will take care of the shift to ev's on it's own with continuing high gas prices.
We don't need additonal meddling at the municipal level imo....

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
I still think ideally they should just let people bid on fare, and let it be. People driving people. Like know your expectations... if you getting an uber, you know you just getting some guy who just bought corolla and will try to get you through the city... there should be zero expectation of professionalism if you can see that the driver just got on the platform few months ago. And bid accordingly.

Like that sad story that was told on the city meeting where pax was medically challenged, and driver drove over speedbump and he died. Seriously, the guy should not be taking uber... or a taxi for that matter. If you have that kind of medical conditions then take medical transport.

Pax just got too high expectations. Like "do you have aux cord?"... like gtfo... no I don't, and if I did, you did not pay for the car, nor radio so sit and be happy you getting a ride.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am not a fan however of some of the options mentioned in the article allowing "front of the line" priority for ev's.
Free market forces will take care of the shift to ev's on it's own with continuing high gas prices.
We don't need additonal meddling at the municipal level imo....
Be careful when you throw around FREE MARKET, as the TRAGEDY OF THE COMMONS (pollution, that then has to be cleaned up by Governments and tax dollars, not the market, as well as MASSIVE SUBSIDIES AND TAX BREAKS FOR OIL & GAS PRODUCERS, which tilts the balance away from 'Invisible Hand Utopias' that you are dreaming of.)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts