Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im sure most of yall remember the last debacle at merriweather post pavillion. But last night there was a big spring festival. See,as long as Uber doesnt promote it,then drivers can make money.

It was surging for 1 full solid hour, starting at 1.2x,ending at 2.9 (but slowing going back down to 1.0x after that). Now if there were so many Uber drivers there....there wouldnt be a surge (kinda like it is everyday in the DC market.)

So remember, this is Greater MARYLAND, so if you caught that 2.9x surge, you'd be making $8 once you hit begin trip, roughly $4.50/mile you drive, and 55cents/minute: real surges.

Now unlike the Ocean City surge i posted a while ago, this is Colombia Maryland,about 15min outside the DC market,so its actually attainable. So moral of the story is,as long as Uber doesnt let the whole world know about big events,it pays to hit some of the big concerts and things that go on in Greater Maryland ,because its not that many drivers out there. Lots of times annapolis surges not really for demand, but simply because its only a couple cars on the street.

If Uber changed DC rates to greater Maryland rates(which'll never happen),it would be straight love to drive for Uber locally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I like the way they describe the surge instead of saying "demand is off the charts" I hate that saying when it surges in dc

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
The problem with Columbia is too many drivers. Your surge you posted is as rare as a 40 year old virgin.

I have been going to Baltimore all week because of the driver saturation in Howard county.

Surges in Baltimore with the Moon festival were pretty consistent.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with Columbia is too many drivers. Your surge you posted is as rare as a 40 year old virgin.

I have been going to Baltimore all week because of the driver saturation in Howard county.

Surges in Baltimore with the Moon festival were pretty consistent.
But when its not surging I still be seeing Colombia change with the yellow/orange. Although that's not a surge that means activity. And of course a regular ride is like a 1.5x DC ride there

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Yes you see yellow. But it doesn't matter. I used to get 10 or more trips a day in Howard county. Back then there were at most 5 or 6 drivers in the whole county.

The last few months the driver number has shot up drastically. Now at any given time there are 20 or more.

This week I have grossed a tad over 900 before uber cut and only 150 came from Howard county where I start my day at.

The rates are 47 cents a mile more here but there is not enough business to support all the drivers pperiod.

I can see Uber logic kicking in any day now saying they need to cut the rates so all these drivers can jockey for one ride a day from increased demand while they lose money on the few pax they get now lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bart, once again I found myself in the position to take your advice, but didn't. Last week I wound up in Bowie, but then dead-miled it back to DC to get back to where I was more comfortable. In retrospect, I should have stayed out there. Today I picked up some folks on U Street, and wound up taking them to the EDM shindig at Pimlico. It was bedlam at Pimlico! But I've got limited knowledge of The Charm City, so I hightailed it back to DC. I need to just take the plunge and dive into Maryland when it comes again, I think.

On a side note, both those rides featured my two lowest rated riders, both rated 4.0. Each time I was hesitant to accept them, each time I was glad I did. They were both the most profitable and the most memorable of the Uber rides I've given. Maybe it's a timing thing, since both were afternoon pick-ups. They could be 5.0 riders going into the club, 4.0 coming out with liquor in them? I dunno. I've become critical of the rating system on both sides, for the riders and for the drivers, lol!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
So as of 7:06 pm on a Sunday night there are 21 uber drivers with 10 miles of my location.

By all means if more want to come have at it lol

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This week I have grossed a tad over 900 before uber cut and only 150 came from Howard county where I start my day at.

The rates are 47 cents a mile more here but there is not enough business to support all the drivers pperiod.
you got $900 in a week at DC rates or greater Maryland rates?

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bart, once again I found myself in the position to take your advice, but didn't. Last week I wound up in Bowie, but then dead-miled it back to DC to get back to where I was more comfortable
well Bowie is still in DC market, but most folks go several miles in that area. very rare to have a min fare. When i was gaming the gurantees, I used to stay around bowie. But pings still came. If i already had 1 trip for the hour, I would cancel.

So as of 7:06 pm on a Sunday night there are 21 uber drivers with 10 miles of my location.

By all means if more want to come have at it lol
what area is this?

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
You are truly better off staying in DC. I am working on switching markets so I can pick up there. It used to make sense to deadbeat back to Maryland but not anymore.

Pimlico was good. Those edm chicks are hot!

·
Registered
631 Posts
The problem i am seeing in DC is the fares are short/cheap. 2miles,3miles,1.5miles..... I am finding arl/alex->DC and reverse best for the VA side....

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The 900 was Baltimore and greater Maryland. it also includes around 100 in DC Lyft fares.
definitely an impressive weekly pay, seems that has to be full time driving.$900/week is pretty amazing if most done in DC market. I have to wonder the time/mileage though

The problem i am seeing in DC is the fares are short/cheap. 2miles,3miles,1.5miles..... I am finding arl/alex->DC and reverse best for the VA side....
Yeah that's the tradeoff. You pretty much go in any quadrant in DC and get pings. But since its a city, a lot of the places people need to go arent too far. And a 3mile trip could take you 30min in traffic, while only getting paid 6 bucks for the wait

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
900 this week gross. My usual week is around 400 but half as many hours as this week I really pushed it to make up for some bad weeks and I am on vacation next week. Back in the winter I was averaging around 550.

85 in gas
458 uber miles
77 lyft miles
around 200 "dead" miles
maybe a half tank of gas left at end of week.
hours 44 or so. = I don't really care about hours as I hang out at home until I get a ping or work in my car on my laptop for my other job. I know this isn't how most of you judge your success but if it is like owning your own business its not about an hourly rate. I owned my own business in the past and I can tell you from experience your on the clock 24-7 which is one aspect of this that escapes some uber drivers.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
900 this week gross.
458 uber miles
77 lyft miles
around 200 "dead" miles
So you made around $700 net with 700 miles driven. That's about the standard for this market, when I started over a year ago I was making $1.20/mile now it's around $1.05/mile net after Fuber commission before expenses.

·
25,860 Posts
as long as Uber doesnt promote it,then drivers can make money.

So moral of the story is,as long as Uber doesnt let the whole world know about big events,it pays

Lots of times annapolis surges not really for demand, but simply because its only a couple cars on the street.
Not inaccurate comments, here.

Everytime the "Bosses" get involved with anything, it goes wrong. Every time.

Proof of the dangers of drinking the TNC Kool-Aid.

I have noticed this for years. It might not be too busy a day, but lack of competition coupled with people's still wanting or needing to get places equals good money for those few who choose to work.

More than a few cab drivers will hit the street at 0-Dark-Hundred on Christmas or Thanksgiving mornings to catch the rush of those people who could not sneak out of work the day before, or a few days before. By nine A.M., the bottom drops out and most drivers head for home. Funny, though, I have always made my best money working the afternoons on those days. No one is out there, so the few people who do need or want to get somewhere become a captive audience. Rarely am I in Town on those days, but if I am, I work those afternoons. Those nights are pretty good, as well.

Funny, though this does not work for New Year's Day. I guess that most people are sleeping it off, then are too much under the weather to venture out.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Uber didnt promote the Tennis game last night in the DC and i got a rider with 1.7 surge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.