Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Moderator
2021 Bugatti Chiron
Joined
·
6,975 Posts
I use this camera in the back window facing outside. Came in handy when I was rear ended. Lady that got knocked into me was grateful I had the footage showing she came to a complete stop without hitting me, then got knocked into me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worthless for rideshare , there is no camera for the interior of the vehicle , so you won't have any footage for court or youtube when pax attacks you .............
I have their previous dual cam version. The long and short, to me, is that audio (which most if not all dashcams record in the cabin) is what is needed to protect driver with passenger stupidities. With dual cam the image is reduced to the point on the outside looking lens, so that license plates are not as legible as this single 4k forward facing. Additionally, if something begins to go down inside the cabin, I can simply turn the camera around to record both video and sound in the cabin...ala Cabon Taco Bell exec incident.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,953 Posts
I have their previous dual cam version. The long and short, to me, is that audio (which most if not all dashcams record in the cabin) is what is needed to protect driver with passenger stupidities. With dual cam the image is reduced to the point on the outside looking lens, so that license plates are not as legible as this single 4k forward facing. Additionally, if something begins to go down inside the cabin, I can simply turn the camera around to record both video and sound in the cabin...ala Cabon Taco Bell exec incident.
"I can simply turn the camera around to record both video and sound in the cabin...ala Cabon Taco Bell exec incident."

Good point. Yeah, that dude was using a Garmin.

I'll check it out. My wife wants to get a dash cam and doesn't need a dual dash cam. Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Worthless for rideshare , there is no camera for the interior of the vehicle , so you won't have any footage for court or youtube when pax attacks you .............
It’s worthless period.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
Additionally, if something begins to go down inside the cabin, I can simply turn the camera around to record both video and sound in the cabin...ala Cabon Taco Bell exec incident.
You've been around long enough to know this is a poor plan. Issues can be over before you even know it's an issue.

What happens in the event of a false claim? "He touched me" etc that gets filed 2 hours after the fact?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've been around long enough to know this is a poor plan. Issues can be over before you even know it's an issue.

What happens in the event of a false claim? "He touched me" etc that gets filed 2 hours after the fact?
It's a $100 4k camera for traffic. It records cabin audio (as does pretty much any dashcam). I use it in the event of a traffic accident. In almost 20k trips my experience tells me having a dash cam that does not record legible license plates is a greater risk. 🤷‍♂️
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
It's a $100 4k camera for traffic. It records cabin audio (as does pretty much any dashcam). I use it in the event of a traffic accident. In almost 20k trips my experience tells me having a dash cam that does not record legible license plates is a greater risk. 🤷‍♂️
You’ve really formed some bad opinions. 4K means squat in dashcams. It’s marketing fluff. It’s why a $100 piece of junk cam can claim it. FPS is where it’s at for dashcams. Resolution isn’t going to do a thing for you when you’re dashcam is recording at 30FPS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’ve really formed some bad opinions. 4K means squat in dashcams. It’s marketing fluff. It’s why a $100 piece of junk cam can claim it. FPS is where it’s at for dashcams. Resolution isn’t going to do a thing for you when you’re dashcam is recording at 30FPS.
What dashcam do you recommend?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan
Joined
·
393 Posts
so the 4k camera can more easily zoom in on a blurred image because it was captured at a lower fps?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
It's a $100 4k camera for traffic. It records cabin audio (as does pretty much any dashcam). I use it in the event of a traffic accident. In almost 20k trips my experience tells me having a dash cam that does not record legible license plates is a greater risk. 🤷‍♂️
I know you've been driving a long time. That's why I'm surprised you don't have a dual cam.

I've been driving since 2014. Had an incident early on and bought a cam. It was a cheap one but worked well enough. After several years in my windshield it started crapping out. It would work intermittently. Sometimes nothing for 2 weeks or more then it work for a few days, or a week or two, then not work for 2 days. Etc

Fast forward 4.5-5 years and 20kplus rides no major issues where it would have helped. I didn't really care about the dashcam because all had been fine. Well, on a boring Wed morning around 11 I get logged off and told to contact support. Had to wait a week for them to contact me. Turns out my last pax had said I put my hand on her thigh, and made sexual advances/ comments AND followed her into her work. I did none of those.

My old crappy cam happened to work that day. The footage wasn't great but good enough to show she sat in back (she said she sat up front) and i dropped and left and there was almost no conversation. It was a $25 ride.

I ordered a new top end dual cam the day I was cleared. Audio only probably wouldn't have helped

The reason I got a new, quality cam. If some ***** is going to lie and claim I touched & propositioned her for a $25 refund it's not much of a stretch for someone to claim worse for a bigger payday. In today's social climate a sexual assault claim, even false, will drastically alter your life. You'll be guilty until proven innocent, and even after proven innocent half of the people will still think your guilty. It would haunt you forever!

It was one incident in 25k rides, there was nothing about the ride(r) that gave me an indication that something was up. In fact, I thought the issue was with a ride earlier where the pax thought I took a longer route, It wasn't, but she made a comment. I really had no idea what could be the issue, other than that pax was pissed and complained & embellished. I was floored when uber called me and told me the complaint.

Chances are you'll be fine, but if you're going to have a cam anyway, I just can't understand why you wouldn't go with a dual. It just takes one wacko ***** to ruin your life. I'm not willing to take that chance without protecting myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I replied earlier, I drove with a dual dash cam for a couple of years. In the end, if driver does not back up the footage every few hours, there is no point in having dual dash cam. I assume you are backing up terabytes worth of footage, if you had that particular ride two weeks later? 80% of my rides are private clients, the other 20% are UberSUV, I'm very careful who I drive. That said, I do have cabin audio (as mentioned before) constantly recording. So, how do you backup your weeks and weeks worth of footage??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
As I replied earlier, I drove with a dual dash cam for a couple of years. In the end, if driver does not back up the footage every few hours, there is no point in having dual dash cam. I assume you are backing up terabytes worth of footage, if you had that particular ride two weeks later? 80% of my rides are private clients, the other 20% are UberSUV, I'm very careful who I drive. That said, I do have cabin audio (as mentioned before) constantly recording. So, how do you backup your weeks and weeks worth of footage??
Lol…..you must be a noob. I’ve been telling people for years how to back up all your dashcam footage for free. Also you show you don’t know what you’re talking about (again) when you say you have to backup footage every few hours. Wrong….again. Depending on size of your SD card, and how much you drive, it could be days, weeks, or months that you could store before transferring footage, or overwriting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Lol…..you must be a noob. I’ve been telling people for years how to back up all your dashcam footage for free. Also you show you don’t know what you’re talking about (again) when you say you have to backup footage every few hours. Wrong….again. Depending on size of your SD card, and how much you drive, it could be days, weeks, or months that you could store before transferring footage, or overwriting.
LOL....your bias and ignorance are now showing through. Clearly your fabrication about going back and finding the "thigh touch" footage shows you have been trying to play this all along.

How Much 4K Video Can a 256GB SD Card Hold?
A 256GB card can hold between 84 minutes and 10 hours of 4K video. Many cameras only support SD cards up to 256GB in size, making it a common choice.
When you record 4K video, you may store up to 84 minutes of footage when using a codec with a high bit rate, such as All-I.

.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Meanwhile, if you don't have one, get a dashcam. I don't care if it's a single, dual or quadruple cam. The one I posted here will cover you in the instance of an accident.

Here is the dual dash cam from same company I posted the 4k about. I have it as well, and like it:

 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top