Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just looked on m.uber.com. If you are trying to get fares now, you wont. Last year, there were hardly any cars in my area. It would be 2-3 cars at most, but now there are cars literally surrounding my area and now there is UberXL. Before there, was just UberX, UberBlack and UberSUV. Now at any given time there are a couple vans or Highlanders circling about. I bet they are minivans which are probably someones family hauler. There goes UberSUV into the tube. The minivan has just as much room as a Suburban so there might be no reason to get an UberSUV. Some college students use UberXL to move their stuff. Hey not a bad idea, I will move your kid down to Rutgers for you without a sweat at 2 per mile on UberXL.

Im thinking the only time to work is the grave shift which is 9pm to 9am. Its either that or work the Jersey Shore during the summer or find your way around Newark Airport dodging the cops at every turn.

I can tell you what its like to drive during that time. First, you get a lot of drunks and drugged. There are actual drug mules which carry drugs around and they use Uber. There are guys who smell of alcohol and cant even stand up. Although its a weird tough experience, these guys are very profitable. Keep a small garbage can as you might need it for them. At 3am, there are some late night bars which close and that brings an end to the drunks although there are still a few who seem to wonder about until about 4 or so. From drunks and drugged comes the business traveler getting on that early flight. Hoboken always lots of business travelers.

Right now, you will be hard pressed to find that fare...

If you do the grave shift in NJ, do not pick up from high crime areas at all like Paterson, Newark, Camden, Linden, etc. There are illegal afterhours clubs in these places which get out late. You dont want to be the one picking them up. Only pick from legit bars and clubs. Find bars that are open until 3am and park outside past 12am. I know a few of those with the hardcore drinkers. Those are always good fares. Even tonight, Sunday night, they will be good as there are lots of alcoholics in NJ. When a passenger is in the seat, try to get them not to sit behind you. Put the right passenger seat all the way forward, but put your seat all the way back which encourages them to sit to the right. Keep them in your peripheral vision. Sitting right behind you cant see them at all. Put the seatbelt under your armpit so its not used to strangle you. Lastly, keep a rolled up large magazine or newspaper with rubber bands on it stuck between the seat and the console. If you get assaulted, you use that to swat at the attacker. Swat at the attacker with the right hand using the left hand to open the door or maneuver the vehicle. Dont keep a baton, club or anything like that with you. That will get you into trouble. A magazine or newspaper wont get you in that trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
NJ Driver, I have to agree with Lepke. Before, you had a lot of vital information for drivers, but you're kind of turning this board into your personal blog. Also, some of your experiences do not apply to all NJ drivers. And some of the things you have posted are not accurate.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Driving Graveyard can suck as well all late night requests will be 10-14min away pings because no other drivers are out then the PAX are going a few blocks away so pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
NJDriver has a lot of good info.

Besides, if it wasn't for him and a handful of other guys this place would be dead.

NJDriver, thanks again man, you have a lot of help info amigo!

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is right, I probably should start a blog on the site, but it looks like life is getting busy again so I wont have much time here. I actually have other jobs and other things besides Uber. Just want to help everyone out the best I can. I know what the future holds for Uber and thats more drivers. Im looking at the m.uber.com right now. Its midnight, Sunday night and people are online all over NJ. People are so desperate for cash they are online on the most improbable night for fares. Looking at the Suburbans also revolving around Jersey. There will be fares at 4am of people catching the early flight, but not now. Also been noticing people hanging out at small colleges like Montclair, William Paterson, Ramapo College, etc. A lot of people actually live on the campus of these colleges and they do go out in groups which is ideal for the UberXL.

So Im probably going to be posting sporadically this next month or so as things get busier...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts