Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Jon Ralston's comment this morning about TNC drivers needing a business license in Nevada was interesting. This session w/Dem control: The Taxicab Empire Strikes Back !

No one in knows more about what is going on within the Nevada Legislature than Ralston.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Jon Ralston's comment this morning about TNC drivers needing a business license in Nevada was interesting. This session w/Dem control: The Taxicab Empire Strikes Back !

No one in knows more about what is going on within the Nevada Legislature than Ralston.
To be clear, the rule already exists. 226 adds requirement for TNCs to verify that we have them. He wrote the article as if this is a new cost for us.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be clear, the rule already exists. 226 adds requirement for TNCs to verify that we have them. He wrote the article as if this is a new cost for us.
Preston - what percentage of TNC drivers would you guess have a valid state business license? My guess is below 30%.
Would this mean less drivers on the road for us or do you think everyone will pony up the cash?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Preston - what percentage of TNC drivers would you guess have a valid state business license? My guess is below 30%.
Would this mean less drivers on the road for us or do you think everyone will pony up the cash?
I would guess that you are guessing high....I'm thinking more like 15%-20%. I think most will pony up the cash. It would be a few days of surges for those of us who already have them while the rest are disabled awaiting proof of license, though.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I predict fewer drivers on Uber's drivers list but about the same amount of drivers on the road. Full time drivers will pony up the $200. Part time drivers may leave the service. There will be fewer new drivers testing the water.

Are there really full time drivers that have or will work for an entire year?

·
Registered
519 Posts
The law would take effect July 1st. Although I think the business license requirement is stupid as we are not individual businesses. Does every independent contractor for trucking companies have a nv business license? Cable installation contractor? Domestic worker? Where is the line drawn?

But, rather than adding personnel to the nta and opening the door to more regulation via nta code and duplicating the taxicab authority they are having Uber and Lyft do it. I am on with this method.

Keep in mind, they have the authority to pass a statute that the nta is to do roadside checks and issue fines of 1k-10k. The legislature thought nta was already doing this. This is a burden on us, but 1 day of pay a year and no other state tax is not exactly unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I predict fewer drivers on Uber's drivers list but about the same amount of drivers on the road. Full time drivers will pony up the $200. Part time drivers may leave the service. There will be fewer new drivers testing the water.

Are there really full time drivers that have or will work for an entire year?
Just my opinion, but 60 cents per day doesn't seem like a lot when you have the ability to make a lot more than that. I do realize $225 all at once(state and county) could be a challenge to some, but not insurmountable. Can't see thousands of drivers opting out over such a small amount.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Just my opinion, but 60 cents per day doesn't seem like a lot when you have the ability to make a lot more than that. I do realize $225 all at once(state and county) could be a challenge to some, but not insurmountable. Can't see thousands of drivers opting out over such a small amount.
That's one way to look at it. Another way is dividing the fee by the number of rides given. As a part-time driver, last year's license cost me $5.63 per ride. I don't want to pay to give rides, I'd rather get paid.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That's one way to look at it. Another way is dividing the fee by the number of rides given. As a part-time driver, last year's license cost me $5.63 per ride. I don't want to pay to give rides, I'd rather get paid.
So, you only did 40 rides last year, or am I misunderstanding what you mean? I do understand that some people try it out and then don't continue.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
You only gave 40 rides last year?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
So, you only did 40 rides last year, or am I misunderstanding what you mean? I do understand that some people try it out and then don't continue.
You understand correctly. I thought that $1.10 /mile would be OK. It wasn't (for me at the time).
My regular job often has me drive across town. Taking a ride paid for the gas, until the license cost is factored in. I've never Ubered at the airport. I've never picked up on the strip. Even if I gave 5 times more rides, the cost effectiveness of driving is questionable. How many rides should one have to give in order to show a profit?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You understand correctly. I thought that $1.10 /mile would be OK. It wasn't (for me at the time).
My regular job often has me drive across town. Taking a ride paid for the gas, until the license cost is factored in. I've never Ubered at the airport. I've never picked up on the strip. Even if I gave 5 times more rides, the cost effectiveness of driving is questionable. How many rides should one have to give in order to show a profit?
I do understand your perspective. I think a lot of the frustration some people feel, not necessarily you per se, but some people, if I only want to do this part-time, why should I buy a license. The state seems to look at every driver the same, that is as a business owner who wants to work for themselves. So, maybe there should be a way to get a refund of your fees if you decide it isn't for you. On the flip side, if you started any other business in Nevada, you only would have to get a license if your expected earnings are a certain amount(my understanding). So yes, there does need to be a compromise.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know this is not popular but could care less....glad to see them doing it will definitely thin out the driver pool a bit which is good for me....I am all about thinning out the driver pool.....I have had all the proper license since it was required and don't like it that others don't and are still driving......come on man my 15 year old daughter has $225 laying around saved up....it's not a unreasonable yearly fee in my opinion.......if you can't afford that how you going to afford a car.....lol

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Not only does the license cost effect me, a very part time driver, it would also adversely effect the temporary driver. Someone who recently lost their job and needs something to pay the rent while they find a well paying job.

Its similar to having to buy a full season, all access pass to Lake Mead when all you want to do is touch the water once. Of course full time fisherman want everybody to pay the full fee to keep some people out. The fee would effect the poorest the most. Erecting barriers to business is not going to help business.

TNC drivers have little weight to throw around at the TNC's and/or governments. By reducing the number of drivers, their collective power is reduced even more. Granted, taking a little from a little doesn't amount to much but every bit counts.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The law would take effect July 1st. Although I think the business license requirement is stupid as we are not individual businesses. Does every independent contractor for trucking companies have a nv business license? Cable installation contractor? Domestic worker? Where is the line drawn?

But, rather than adding personnel to the nta and opening the door to more regulation via nta code and duplicating the taxicab authority they are having Uber and Lyft do it. I am on with this method.

Keep in mind, they have the authority to pass a statute that the nta is to do roadside checks and issue fines of 1k-10k. The legislature thought nta was already doing this. This is a burden on us, but 1 day of pay a year and no other state tax is not exactly unreasonable.
No income tax and yes any 1099 worker has to get a business license

1 - 20 of 24 Posts