Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was worth getting. It will be useful on those really dead days when I can't get a ping, at least, unless everyone else has this exact same thought. For my first two rides I got pings before I even turned into the lot and ended up having to just do a u-turn on Post road and go to the airport, but for the third ride I ended up waiting a while.

The waiting wasn't bad - I entered the (Lyft) queue at around #40 and it was about 20 minutes. I parked in front because I am a HUGE avgeek so I mostly just caught up on Twitter while watching planes land and making little videos of them. The location of the queue - even when it moves over one - is great for airplane watching.Then I finally got my ping and it was for a freaking $6 ride to St. Paul. At least he left a tip.

I don't think I'm going to do a ton of airport pickups but it's good to have it as an option. Made back the money for the permit in the first run so that's cool.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
I think airport runs will be brisk for at least a week (unless we are flooded with outside drivers); I opted not to renew my permit this year, our airport is just too centrally located, and the risk of waiting 20+ minutes for a $5-$8 fare is very real. In most cities, an airport to DT CBD is the goal, but getting that run here is only $12 or so and then gets you stuck in traffic. They could easily DOUBLE all current MSP fares and the customers would pay without blinking, and this would entice drivers to be more airport "enthused".

·
Registered
43 Posts
At one point yesterday evening, I checked on the queue and it stood at 131-135 for Uber X. I wonder how long #135 had to wait for a ride? I have been doing this for nearly 5 years now, and I can't recall seeing a queue that high, although I stipulate that the queuing lot has not been in effect all 5 of those years. Personally, I liked it better when it was all based on proximity at the airport. I had developed a nearly fool proof loop near the airport and creative usage of the Fort Snelling State Park entrance road that seemed to me to produce a trip ping about 60% of the times I passed the main M<SP entry ramp. But so much for the 'good old days', I guess.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. On the one hand, it looks like the weather is going to be really lousy, but on the other hand, that will probably help our business.

·
Super Moderator
7,421 Posts
At one point yesterday evening, I checked on the queue and it stood at 131-135 for Uber X. I wonder how long #135 had to wait for a ride? I have been doing this for nearly 5 years now, and I can't recall seeing a queue that high, although I stipulate that the queuing lot has not been in effect all 5 of those years. Personally, I liked it better when it was all based on proximity at the airport. I had developed a nearly fool proof loop near the airport and creative usage of the Fort Snelling State Park entrance road that seemed to me to produce a trip ping about 60% of the times I passed the main M<SP entry ramp. But so much for the 'good old days', I guess.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. On the one hand, it looks like the weather is going to be really lousy, but on the other hand, that will probably help our business.
It's possible that as Uber grows in popularity, i.e. more "late adopters" start to use the service, that the wait times are about the same despite more cars.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I think I'll finally get an airport permit because sometimes when I drop off I see that there is 0-5 X drivers in the lot might as well but I'll never hang out there if there's any more 20 or 30 cars

Right now I'm sitting in Hudson. I don't know if I'll get a ping or not? I'll wait 10 mins. Got a ride to here from the Mall of America... that was a pretty good one plus $10 cash tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.