Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you believe Uber treats its driver partners appropriately?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All right. This happened to me this Thursday. I had two passengers and was on the trip and online. I was entering Lincoln Tunnel from the NJ side, just passed those toll booths, was standing still in the middle of the plaza, about 200 feet away from the tunnel tube entrance. Suddenly the car behind me bumped me from the behind. Nothing major - but enough to turn on 4-way flashers and walk out and have a look. There was a scratch and some paint damage to my rear bumper right below my right taillight. Police is always standing there at the tunnel entrance - so an officer approached me and asked if I want to get a police report or not. Since I was on the trip with passengers and I feel totally at NO FAULT I said yes, and officer filed a police report taking all the info from me and the driver who hit me from the behind. After about 15 minutes delay - I have continued my trip and dropped off my passengers somewhere in Manhattan and returned back home.
See the picture of the "horrible damage" caused to my car below:
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

And it has happened right here:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

I also have a video from my dash cam capturing the moment of an impact.
All right - nothing unusual up until this point. You might say, I was not supposed to let Uber know that - but what will I tell Uber if my passengers file a complaint with Uber (at least they have been delayed, right?) So don't tell me I could omit reporting it to Uber - this is a violation and I do not want any shady advices here. Thinking that as a honest driver I should report it to the Uber I went ahead and used that "I was in accident" button under last trip options you have on your app. Described everything to them, attached pictures and a copy of the police report receipt. And then... amazing things starts happening. As always, Uber replies in days, in my case they got to this issue a very next day, when I was working Uber and wasn't worried much of what has happened yesterday. I was in the middle of the trip with some passenger who requested a ride from Somerset, NJ to Newark Airport. This is one good 20+ miles ride, plus toll road, plus traffic delays etc. So, all of a sudden, my Uber app was deactivated, while I was in the middle of my trip. I initially thought this was a glitch or loss of connection, but I couldn't make it back into the app no matter what. I have completed my trip and dropped off my passenger at the airport terminal. I was never even able to hit that "complete trip" slide button on my app and rate the passenger - my Uber app was disabled. While standing there at the terminal I was trying to figure out what has happened and then I noticed that I got few e-mails in my inbox. I opened them quickly and here is how Uber treats good and honest drivers like I am. (Yes, I am one good driver with a CDL).

(note - none of these messages contained privacy disclosure - so I feel free to bring them to the publicity).

First message reads the following:
Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

All right, issue resolved - but we understand it has not been resolved. Nice - Huh?

Next message was actually the link to open up an online document that I had to fill out - again - asking all the same question over and over again:
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Multimedia

Last message looks like that:
Font Screenshot Document Paper Paper product

Ok - so this is where my problems logging into my app are originating from - they have shut my account down - just in case. Asking stupid questions as "was anybody injured?" - No no one was injured and I have answered this question when I filed "I was in accident" section on the day of this accident., "Are you OK?" - Are you serious??? - You just dumped me like a trash for nothing and you are asking if I am OK - No I am not OK because of how you treat your drivers - UBER. You are asking for pictures - but this is what I have done when submitted "I was in accident" section on the day of this accident. Why would you ask the same thing twice??? And the most interesting thing is their insurance policy approach. Easy words are - no matter guilty or not - you pay $1000 deductible plus we will send through the hell of bureaucracy, so that you will never want to do this again, meanwhile we will put you "out of service" - and you do no matter what - we will communicate with you only via e-mail and thus simple 5 minutes phone conversation will be converted into weeks long (one question/answer a day if you are lucky enough) e-mail conversation.
Of note, I have completed all they requested in these e-mails, my account is still disabled, this is Saturday today, I have lost all wages I could earn on Friday and Saturday (best time to earn something), and I never know when it will end. Another thing - as I mentioned earlier - I was on the trip yesterday when Uber has disabled my app and I was never able to correctly complete that rip on my app. As a result - this trip is not reflected in the history of my trips (when go to my account dashboard on the computer) - that trip is not there - and it was one approximately $30 worth trip.
So, with everything describer above - I am doubtful I will ever want to continue driving for Uber. The way they treat is simply put - unacceptable. I am seriously thinking I would rather keep my mouth shut and keep driving - because honesty and following rules and regulations is not appreciated in this company and you are the one who will be paying price even if you are an innocent one - that is clearly stated - see last picture. So think twice before you start driving for Uber - and think two more times before letting Uber know you have had some problems on your trip. Good luck to everyone!

Update - 02/27/2016 10:10 pm - Still nothing from Uber. I have been deactivated for 2 days so far.

Update - 02/28/2016 12:00 pm - Still nothing from Uber. I have been deactivated for 3 days so far. Meanwhile I keep sending them daily e-mail requests to move forward and have never received any reply ever since. Here is that e-mail thread:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Update - 02/29/2016 05:37pm - All right - day 4 - my account is active again. Also got promised to get payment for missing trip. Time to get one nice buffer and take care of that rear bumper.
Font Number Document

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
You mentioned a CDL, do you have commercial plates and insurance on your Subaru? If not, your personal insurance company will likely soon drop you and you will not be able to drive at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mentioned a CDL, do you have commercial plates and insurance on your Subaru? If not, your personal insurance company will likely soon drop you and you will not be able to drive at all.
Since I am using my own car for Uber - no commercial plates and commercial insurance is required for UberX in NJ. As to my insurance company will drop me - this is old story and things have changed since that time. I like everything to be in order and I back up all my statements with a solid proof - here is a brief chat screenshot with Esurance agent where I am specifically asking them how do they see using my car for Uber and insuring with Esurance. Hope this will end endless speculations with being dropped off and so on. Please see the following picture:
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And I have put 142 000 miles on it and it still runs and looks like new and all my passengers are extremely happy with the inside room and level of comfort they are getting. Low fuel economy is a downside - but this is my own problem and have nothing to do with Uber just like your comment has nothing to do in this thread.

·
Registered
669 Posts
1. If you where NOT AT FAULT, why did you even report accident to Uber?
2. Why would you inform your insurance company that you are driving for Uber since they will have to pay nothing and would have knew nothing of the accident or Uber?
3. Just because some random chat agent says you want be dropped, doesn't mean there not typing up the letter right now or waiting until you pay your next premium, then drop you.
4. You risked a lot (Deactivated from Uber / Dropped from Insurance) for a little fender bender, especially when you weren't at fault.

Sounds like you made unnecessary trouble for yourself. The other persons insurance would have surely paid to have your car buffed and retouched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. If you where NOT AT FAULT, why did you even report accident to Uber?
2. Why would you inform your insurance company that you are driving for Uber since they will have to pay nothing and would have knew nothing of the accident or Uber?
3. Just because some random chat agent says you want be dropped, doesn't mean there not typing up the letter right now or waiting until you pay your next premium, then drop you.
4. You risked a lot (Deactivated from Uber / Dropped from Insurance) for a little fender bender, especially when you weren't at fault.

Sounds like you made unnecessary trouble for yourself. The other persons insurance would have surely paid to have your car buffed and retouched.
1 - Well, we must report everything to Uber, even if we are not at fault. Besides that - I had passengers in my car and they might have reported it to Uber, than I would be in a greater trouble for not reporting it to Uber.
2 - I didn't inform my insurance company at all. I am only working with Uber and their policy as it is primary insurance when you have passenger in your car. My personal insurance is not involved at all.
3 - Quite possible scenario - but there are thousands of us in just the same situation. This is beyond my ability to control them.
4 - I lived before Uber and looks like I will keep living without Uber as well. Same with insurance. But all of us needs to be well informed that you are NOTHING for them - so think twice before getting on that train.

·
Banned
11,812 Posts
Since I am using my own car for Uber - no commercial plates and commercial insurance is required for UberX in NJ. As to my insurance company will drop me - this is old story and things have changed since that time. I like everything to be in order and I back up all my statements with a solid proof - here is a brief chat screenshot with Esurance agent where I am specifically asking them how do they see using my car for Uber and insuring with Esurance. Hope this will end endless speculations with being dropped off and so on. Please see the following picture: View attachment 29715
Read that e-mail between you and Jessica again, but this time very carefully. Jessica says you may still insure your car but you are not covered in anyway, during any time that you are driving Uber. Then you tell Jessica that Uber covers you while you drive for Uber. Better make sure Uber will be your primary insurance when you Uber. Because Jessica says you don't have any insurance during anytime you have the app on. Also make sure you have comp/collision during Uber driving. You ask Jennifer about any conflicts, of course her response is no. It's simple to her. You are in no way covered by esurance for any peril during the time you have your app on. Be careful with coverage and deductibles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read that e-mail between you and Jessica again, but this time very carefully. Jessica says you may still insure your car but you are not covered in anyway, during any time that you are driving Uber. Then you tell Jessica that Uber covers you while you drive for Uber. Better make sure Uber will be your primary insurance when you Uber. Because Jessica says you don't have any insurance during anytime you have the app on. Also make sure you have comp/collision during Uber driving. You ask Jennifer about any conflicts, of course her response is no. It's simple to her. You are in no way covered by esurance for any peril during the time you have your app on. Be careful with coverage and deductibles.
Oh, that is not of a concern. Uber`s coverage is primary at all the time you are online and only has different coverages for waiting for a ride request and for being on the ride after you`ve accepted that ride request. There is no gap in between Uber`s and personal coverage. In other words - Uber`s coverage kicks in at the moment your personal coverage goes off. In my situation, my personal insurance is not involved at all since I was on the trip and conditions described in paragraph "b" apply to my case. Here is a picture of the Uber New Jersey insurance terms and conditions:
Font Publication Paper Paper product Document

·
Banned
11,812 Posts
W
Oh, that is not of a concern. Uber`s coverage is primary at all the time you are online and only has different coverages for waiting for a ride request and for being on the ride after you`ve accepted that ride request. There is no gap in between Uber`s and personal coverage. In other words - Uber`s coverage kicks in at the moment your personal coverage goes off. In my situation, my personal insurance is not involved at all since I was on the trip and conditions described in paragraph "b" apply to my case. Here is a picture of the Uber New Jersey insurance terms and conditions:
View attachment 29770
Wow, that is good for you guys. AZ is a lot different. However, there is no mention of comp/collision. Just be sure you're ok. Thanks for the NJ law.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
W

Wow, that is good for you guys. AZ is a lot different. However, there is no mention of comp/collision. Just be sure you're ok. Thanks for the NJ law.
Here is a trick. Uber's comprehensive and collision coverage is not preset and is adjusted to the limits of your personal coverage. In other words, if you carry $10 000 coverage in comp/collision coverage on your personal policy - Uber will limit their coverage to that cap. If you carry $50 000 coverage on your personal - Uber will cover you for the same amount. This is why they are requesting me to provide them with my personal coverage limits - not because they will work with my insurance - but to know what limits of their coverage they should apply to my case. Here is that request right here:
Font Rectangle Circle Number Screenshot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.