Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is new.

Many months ago I got an "account alert" for cancellations and that issue was rectified. I know from this board they will deactivate for too many cancellations. But my acceptance rate has been crazy low for months since more and more requests have been ridiculous 10 minute+ ones, usually way outside the surge zone I'm in the center of. I've gotten some "You're missing out!" messages, but never an "account alert."

My rating is 4.9.

Is this a real deactivation warning? If I'm in the middle of a dark red surge zone and Uber is expecting me to always or mostly drive 10 or more minutes to a non-surge zone for what frequently will be a $1.90 fare, then this is not what I want to do for supplemental income as such rides are in fact negative cash flow when you factor gasoline and car wear and tear.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
This is new.

Many months ago I got an "account alert" for cancellations and that issue was rectified. I know from this board they will deactivate for too many cancellations. But my acceptance rate has been crazy low for months since more and more requests have been ridiculous 10 minute+ ones, usually way outside the surge zone I'm in the center of. I've gotten some "You're missing out!" messages, but never an "account alert."

My rating is 4.9.

Is this a real deactivation warning? If I'm in the middle of a dark red surge zone and Uber is expecting me to always or mostly drive 10 or more minutes to a non-surge zone for what frequently will be a $1.90 fare, then this is not what I want to do for supplemental income as such rides are in fact negative cash flow when you factor gasoline and car wear and tear.
Post the email

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Is it for cancellations or acceptance? They are two separate things.

1. Acceptance - You will not be deactivated for not accepting rides. The penalty for that is a 2 minute timeout.
2. Cancellations - It is my understanding that you have to do it consistently. I keep mine below 10%. When it goes above 10%, I get the slap on my hand warning from Uber.

I get warnings about 2-3 a month, which I bring my cancellation rate back up and I am good. If you are in a surge zone and are getting pulled out, just don't accept the ride and let it roll through. My stance during surge is if I don't get the surge rate I went online for, I am not taking it.

Save your cancels for when you have to cancel on a rider after waiting 5 minutes (yes those count against you), however, I will send a text to the riders saying "Please cancel and request another Uber when your toes are on the curb. I am required to wait 5 minutes.". A little education to the riders helps other drivers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ignore, don't Accept & Cancel.

Or, from today's Uber Community Guideline email:

Acceptance Rates
High acceptance rates are a critical part of reliable, high-quality service, but not accepting trip requests does not lead to permanent loss of your account.
If you don't want to accept trips, just log off.

If you consistently decline trip requests, we will assume you do not want to accept more trips and you may be logged out of the app.

... Ya don't say, Uber. Does that mean we're independent contractors, not employees.

·
Registered
617 Posts
All your Pools are belong to us!

Any repercussions when PAX cancel rides after you've accepted the ping.. for example, say you call them to let them know you're stuck in heavy traffic or having issues with the ap which sometimes freezes.. sh!t happens to me all the time, and usually just ends with PAX re requesting ride b4 the 5 min cut off

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My average acceptance rate is 20℅, over the last 2 years. I get these emails from time to time. It's is NOTHING to worry about, otherwise I would have been deactivated long ago. My cancel rate is usually close to 0℅.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
All your Pools are belong to us!

Any repercussions when PAX cancel rides after you've accepted the ping.. for example, say you call them to let them know you're stuck in heavy traffic or having issues with the ap which sometimes freezes.. sh!t happens to me all the time, and usually just ends with PAX re requesting ride b4 the 5 min cut off
Your app freezes a lot......especially at LAX.....you should get that looked at:)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it for cancellations or acceptance? They are two separate things.

1. Acceptance - You will not be deactivated for not accepting rides. The penalty for that is a 2 minute timeout.
2. Cancellations - It is my understanding that you have to do it consistently. I keep mine below 10%. When it goes above 10%, I get the slap on my hand warning from Uber.

I get warnings about 2-3 a month, which I bring my cancellation rate back up and I am good. If you are in a surge zone and are getting pulled out, just don't accept the ride and let it roll through. My stance during surge is if I don't get the surge rate I went online for, I am not taking it.

Save your cancels for when you have to cancel on a rider after waiting 5 minutes (yes those count against you), however, I will send a text to the riders saying "Please cancel and request another Uber when your toes are on the curb. I am required to wait 5 minutes.". A little education to the riders helps other drivers.
The "account alert" was specifically for low acceptance, not cancellations. My cancellation rate is 10%, down from about 25% months ago.

The email read:
Heading: [Account Alert] Accept more, earn more
We noticed that over the last 7 days, you've been online but not accepting trips. When you receive a trip request, you're the driver in the best position to pick up that rider. We're trying to make it as convenient as possible for you to get your next trip started quickly.

When you don't accept a trip, ETAs increase for other drivers and wait times go up for riders. And you miss out on a nearby fare.

If you don't want to accept requests, just press "go offline." Your acceptance rate will improve, and riders will be matched with drivers who are ready to pick them up. We're trying to make the Uber experience great for everyone. Learn more about how we calculate acceptance rates.

Best,
Team Uber

I've gotten emails like this before, but they've never said "account alert."

·
Registered
617 Posts
Print it out and use it to wipe your arse next time you're at the PIG PEN.. It'll save you a couple of bucks if you need to use the Porta-John cause Pig Pen controls that section of the lot but can only charge by how many sheets of TP you use, so problem solved really!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts