Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Google maps or Waze

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  dnlbaboof 
#1 ·
Reading some of the posts on here makes me believe I don't understand how many GPS apps there are. I thought there were two, Google Maps and Waze, with the former being used through Uber, and the latter being used outside the Uber app. Some people have mentioned those two apps and in the same breath mentioned "Uber's GPS app", as if it is a third one. What's up? And what do you use?

Reactions: tohunt4me
#4 ·
I noticed that Waze doesn't use "points of interest", meaning businesses, parks, sports venues, etc. are not shown. I use that in Google Maps quite often. I see a Starbucks on the map and it can help me find someone if the pax says she's on the corner at the Starbucks, for example. Also, I tried Waze once through Uber and it felt clunky, like it went back and forth between the two instead of being seamless.

#6 ·
I agree, one should try both, but I've done that and I'm looking for further feedback. I'm not that technical and I may not, probably won't, understand all the features of both so I was hoping a person or two could give me their personal take on the different GPS apps, and answer my question about whether or not there are 3 apps or just the 2.

#7 ·
There are things I like about each of them so I go back and forth. Right now I’m using google maps only because I figured out I was screwing myself out of some money using Waze. The fastest route isn’t always best when you get paid miles and time.

#8 ·
I use Uber's GPS in the app, because it has fewer distractions on the screen, and since I know my city better than the app does anyways, it's good enough for me.

Clicking thru the two screens when using Google or Waze can get annoying. YMMV.

#9 ·
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at too. Got enough to deal with on the app and driving and dealing with the pax without adding switching between nav apps. The Uber and Lyft GPS apps aren't the greatest, but combined with a little local knowledge (such as knowing for example that most passengers want to go to the airport terminal and not the tower located in a maintenance area on the other side of the damn airport as the Uber/Lyft apps keep insisting I take them to!). I just use the in-app GPS and 99% of the time it's fine and when it isn't, I know how to get there anyway.

Maybe I just need to try it for a few rides, but right now, I find it really confusing switching in and out of the apps, so I just stick with the built-in ones.

#10 ·
I use Uber’s built-in nav and at least for me it works just fine. For Lyft I use Waze to get close to the point of pickup and once close enough, I’ll switch back to Lyft so I can see exactly where the pin/pax is. Kind of annoying to switch back and forth between Lyft and Waze, but I’ve learned to deal with it.

#11 ·
I agree, one should try both, but I've done that and I'm looking for further feedback. I'm not that technical and I may not, probably won't, understand all the features of both so I was hoping a person or two could give me their personal take on the different GPS apps, and answer my question about whether or not there are 3 apps or just the 2.
While Ubering you have a choice of 3 apps... Uber's gps, Google, or Waze. Uber's gps is not Google.

I used to use Waze before I started having technical problems and switched over to Google. Waze is owned by Google and they share the same database. Therefore your routes are going to be the same or similar. What's different is that Waze gives you bells and whistles with user input data such as showing you the location of police along your route. Some people don't like Waze because it's rather cartoony. Since I switched over I've been very happy with Google.

#13 ·
There are things I like about each of them so I go back and forth. Right now I'm using google maps only because I figured out I was screwing myself out of some money using Waze. The fastest route isn't always best when you get paid miles and time.
If you go into Waze settings you can choose either fastest (which isn't necessarily the shortest) or the shortest route (which isn't necessarily the fastest).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.