Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows good schools and can share some tips how to get test passed in shortest possible time? What's a cost of the classes? I'm talking about the road test and pre trip.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Road master in Bethlehem PA, very close to me on Brodhead Rd I believe, easier than in nyc I think. Ones in jersey overcharge

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Anyone knows good schools and can share some tips how to get test passed in shortest possible time? What's a cost of the classes? I'm talking about the road test and pre trip.
Federal law requires 160 hours (about 4 weeks) to complete school and get Class A, come Feb 1, several states are changing the requirements and you must complete a licensed/accredited CDL school program to get your CDL. When I went through in '97, it was 3 weeks and $3,700, I believe now it's closer to $5,500 or $6,000 depending on the school. From there, it also depends on your plans, most reputable trucking schools will have a recruiting dept. to help you find a job, but more and more insurance companies are starting to require 3 yrs OTR exp. before they will allow for local. Our insurance company requires we submit a copy of the CDL for them to run before we can hire, they require 3 yrs OTR exp. or 6 yrs local before they will allow us to hire, also no more than 3 moving violations in 5 yrs.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
A lot of the big trucking companies have in house training to get a license. Yes, you will need to work for them for a certain time.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Federal law requires 160 hours (about 4 weeks) to complete school and get Class A, come Feb 1, several states are changing the requirements and you must complete a licensed/accredited CDL school program to get your CDL.
This is partially true. If you pass knowledge test before the new rules go into effect which is February 7th then you don't need that school program (ELDT).

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
This is partially true. If you pass knowledge test before the new rules go into effect which is February 7th then you don't need that school program (ELDT).
He's got 16 days, and if he doesn't already have Class learners permit, he'll have to get that first. But this also brings up a different issue, finding a school that will only do a partial training/test, I think he'll have a hard time finding a legit school that's only going to train for road/pre-trip, and if they do, they are going to make him take an in-house written knowledge test before they agree to it.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Easier because there is a lot more space and you probably dont wanna do NYC or even jersey as a rookie. Also the areas are not gritty with a nice pile of trash, bumper and a mattress with piss stains combo somewhere nearby.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easier because there is a lot more space and you probably dont wanna do NYC or even jersey as a rookie. Also the areas are not gritty with a nice pile of trash, bumper and a mattress with piss stains combo somewhere nearby.
Maybe more space there but on the other hand I've heard that in nyc they take less time for the tests. In other words they don't ask you to drive a lot compared to other places.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess all those fellow uber drivers that got cdl don't come here anymore. That's why nobody has answers here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts