Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at these two trips, one is from the city to oak park, the other one is the return trip pinged while exiting to Harlem on Eisenhower. The first one has much higher fares, surge is only $2.25 and no boost. The second one, despite it’s longer, paid less, boost is $1and no surge. I posted about my friend’s guess on goober’s fare tier system and driver rank system, I think his theory might make some sense. Or is there anyone know how goober calculates fare?
Slope Font Parallel Electronic device Screenshot
Slope Font Parallel Electronic device Software

·
Registered
87 Posts
My intuition after trying it out, Uber is hiding the bonuses but is very much applying them. I’ve been getting some fares that are way too high given the routes along with time and mileage. I think it is a way to incentivize people to come out in lieu of plastered bonuses/surge amounts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The less you cherrypick, the higher the pay.

I've notice if you're at the airport, and cherrypick your rides, uber lowballs you.

Ever notice with UFP your very first ping after a long break is always higher? This will last untill you go offline or kicked offline. Uber will start lowballing you the more you cherrypick.

There is a way to make to the first bracket with absolutely no rejected pings, even if your 60+ in que. You will find out this will yield higher payouts untill you get kicked back to the end.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I've notice if you're at the airport, and cherrypick your rides, uber lowballs you.

Ever notice with UFP your very first ping after a long break is always higher? This will last untill you go offline or kicked offline. Uber will start lowballing you the more you cherrypick.

There is a way to make to the first bracket with absolutely no rejected pings, even if your 60+ in que. You will find out this will yield higher payouts untill you get kicked back to the end.
not here in Orlando.... first ping will be $4.20 for a 10 mile ride.... turn down 15 rides then you will get the $6.00 4 mile ride
On a Saturday morning I will turn down easily 100 $14 to $16 airport drop offs till I get a $35+ one

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Although I don’t know exactly how gruber’s system work I can guarantee you are not right. Think it like this: you take any ping, means no matter how low it is you take it, then the algo definitely will lowball you every time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Although I don’t know exactly how gruber’s system work I can guarantee you are not right. Think it like this: you take any ping, means no matter how low it is you take it, then the algo definitely will lowball you every time.
I didn't pull this observation out of my ass. There is some bases to it or else it would not have posted it. Instead of blindingly disapproving and dismiss somebody's ideas or observations, understand that not everybody sees exactly the same thing as you. Sometimes even patterns can be discovered quicker than you can understand or see them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't pull this observation out of my ass. There is some bases to it or else it would not have posted it. Instead of blindingly disapproving and dismiss somebody's ideas or observations, understand that not everybody sees exactly the same thing as you. Sometimes even patterns can be discovered quicker than you can understand or see them.
Great man, keep what you are doing and soon you will become Gruber’s favorite driver, gas station/car shop owners and car dealerships will like you too. Just make sure to take all of these 15-20 min ride with $6-8 payout rides so we don’t have to deal with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great man, keep what you are doing and soon you will become Gruber’s favorite driver, gas station/car shop owners and car dealerships will like you too. Just make sure to take all of these 15-20 min ride with $6-8 payout rides so we don’t have to deal with them.
You scoff at the six to eight dollar payout rides! Indubitably, you have yet to understand how to finesse the ufp system.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
No one completely understands the fare logic. Not even Uber. It's too complicated.
It's simple -- decline the rides/fares you don't want, and accept the ones you do.
Develop your own algorithm for accepting rides, then follow it, or at least until you want to change it based on where you're at, where you want to be, and/or time of day. Some of the pings I get I literally LOL. I decline them, then just wait for the next one.

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
No one completely understands the fare logic. Not even Uber. It's too complicated.
It's simple -- decline the rides/fares you don't want, and accept the ones you do.
Develop your own algorithm for accepting rides, then follow it, or at least until you want to change it based on where you're at, where you want to be, and/or time of day. Some of the pings I get I literally LOL. I decline them, then just wait for the next one.
Yep. How low can an acceptance rate go?

·
Premium Member
10,556 Posts

Most of the time there is no reason to go to their airport let alone get in the queue. Even if you get $40 for the trip, today at one point there were nearly 200 cars at the airport. That $40 drops to $20/hr pretty quick

It’s not about what you get paid for the trip, it’s the opportunity cost of taking it. I had this request today. It’s a hard pass as I live 10 minutes from the pickup and not 45 miles away. I’d also add you would be giving up boosts and surges in the city. I made $56 after this request came in. Is it less than $74 sure. However I was home by 445 instead of 630 and saved 70 miles worth of gas and return tolls
Font Slope Parallel Terrestrial plant Circle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most of the time there is no reason to go to their airport let alone get in the queue. Even if you get $40 for the trip, today at one point there were nearly 200 cars at the airport. That $40 drops to $20/hr pretty quick

It’s not about what you get paid for the trip, it’s the opportunity cost of taking it. I had this request today. It’s a hard pass as I live 10 minutes from the pickup and not 45 miles away. I’d also add you would be giving up boosts and surges in the city. I made $56 after this request came in. Is it less than $74 sure. However I was home by 445 instead of 630 and saved 70 miles worth of gas and return tolls View attachment 686208
Most important that little thing at the very bottom that says long trip 45 minutes, is an automatic and no thank you. Doesn't matter if you're at the airport or if you're sitting in the middle of Timbuktu.

Does it matter if you're 60 plus cars or if you're 10 cars deep in the queue it's not going to change what I said. I don't understand it but some people will wait that time at the airport for those trips. It doesn't change the fact that I suggested there's a way to maximize the offer Uber will send to you.

·
Premium Member
10,556 Posts
Most important that little thing at the very bottom that says long trip 45 minutes, is an automatic and no thank you. Doesn't matter if you're at the airport or if you're sitting in the middle of Timbuktu.

Does it matter if you're 60 plus cars or if you're 10 cars deep in the queue it's not going to change what I said. I don't understand it but some people will wait that time at the airport for those trips. It doesn't change the fact that I suggested there's a way to maximize the offer Uber will send to you.
Actually it’s an awesome trip for someone who lives that direction, I don’t.
I don’t accept many over 25. The over 45 minutes doesn’t mean squat, that can an airport trip almost anytime after noon.

are you even driving in Chicago?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It’s not about what you get paid for the trip, it’s the opportunity cost of taking it. I had this request today. It’s a hard pass as I live 10 minutes from the pickup and not 45 miles away. I’d also add you would be giving up boosts and surges in the city. I made $56 after this request came in. Is it less than $74 sure. However I was home by 445 instead of 630 and saved 70 miles worth of gas and return tolls View attachment 686208
Just out of my curiosity, of my years of driving I never signed up for pets, and if I see a rider has a pet I cancel the trip no matter what, because I absolutely hate pets. So my question is Uberpet the service to transport per to the destination? Does the owner have to ride with the pet or is the owner even allowed to ride with the pet?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just out of my curiosity, of my years of driving I never signed up for pets, and if I see a rider has a pet I cancel the trip no matter what, because I absolutely hate pets. So my question is Uberpet the service to transport per to the destination? Does the owner have to ride with the pet or is the owner even allowed to ride with the pet?
If it’s a service animal you have to transport it whether UberPet is turned on or not. UberPet is for normal riders who are bringing their animal along

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Most of the time there is no reason to go to their airport let alone get in the queue. Even if you get $40 for the trip, today at one point there were nearly 200 cars at the airport.
"THE" AIRPORT
I don't drive during "your" hours. When I drive, there's seldom congestion, not even in major construction zones. If I bring someone to/near ORD I'll probably go to the TNP lot.

At ORD, cars are usually zooming out the lot pretty quick so there's not a long wait. Recently was an exception. There were only 6-10, then 1-5 cars ahead of me, but I can't stand being in one place too long. I left the lot, snagged an $11 sticky surge, and without using my DF, got a request from Northlake to my hometown. So 90 minutes or so of travel (round trip) was almost fully paid for, and not at the ridiculous low payouts I often see.

AURORA?
Aurora is Illinois' second largest city. Its former reputation of being crime infested is no longer a reality (not saying it's crime-free, but the Citizen App doesn't even work here!). Downtown, the City of Lights has an illuminated pedestrian bridge over the Fox River. Now, there are also various decorations including a huge ground level red sign that says HOPE.

Trips are not the easiest if you don't know a few tricks. Console yourself, perhaps, at Ballydoyle, Tap House, or Pig Dog Pub. Then ping a capable Uber driver to bring you home (ahem, YOUR home). Rider app reveals an average of FIVE drivers competing for your (and 4 competing for my) business!

WASTED TRIP?
If you like the city, and can't live without boost/CT, and short pickups--I don't blame you.

You might be surprised, though, how often business visitors in Naperville (etc.) leave their safe hotels to experience the gories of Chicago at night. Also, the City is an incredibly strong magnet. I saw it work more powerfully from the SW burbs, but there's ALWAYS people going to/returning to Chicago.

When they were more profitable, I favored 45+ trips, although for most of 2022 I refused Chicago trips. I had a few memorable trips to the NE suburbs. I brought a fascinating business exec from a Naperville hotel to Lake Zurich. I brought a lady from Naperville to Lake Forest area. A few weeks back, I had a request from my area to Rogers Park. While picking them up, I arranged to visit a friend in Evanston who I hadn't seen in 3 years. His gf died the week before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts